A&H

The Referee Store
If a goalkeeper uses over 6 seconds to release ball, is it an indirect freekick? Not sure that even is a rule.
Are you a referee?
If so, then the strongest possible advice I can give you is every single time you have a query on the laws of the game, search the entire laws yourself first. It's the only way you can familiarise yourself with the laws. You need to be taking responsibility for learning the laws - and law 12 in particular, you need to learn like the back of your hand. If you search and can't find it, by all means, ask away.

It is surprising how long 6 seconds is. Better to warn the keeper the first time before pulling him up for it- a quick shout to hurry him up.

It feels like an eternity as a player as well when you see a goalkeeper using the full 6 seconds to release the call, especially when they go to ground after catching the ball. I always tend to give a shout to the keeper rather than just pulling him up on it straight away. If you've warned him on a couple of occasions, then I give the IDFK.

Hi
It is an IDFK from where the offence took place. Probably now the least called offence in the LotG. The last one I seen was USA v Canada Ladies in 2012 Olympics Semi final and the ref became public enemy no 1 in Canada for calling this offence as it is so rare.
In the Europa League final I would say Romero of Utd easily took up to 12/15+ seconds every single time he caught the ball late in the 2nd half!

Hi
It is an IDFK from where the offence took place. Probably now the least called offence in the LotG. The last one I seen was USA v Canada Ladies in 2012 Olympics Semi final and the ref became public enemy no 1 in Canada for calling this offence as it is so rare.
In the Europa League final I would say Romero of Utd easily took up to 12/15+ seconds every single time he caught the ball late in the 2nd half!
Mignolet got called for it for Liverpool towards the start of this season, I think in a Europa League game?

that was around 20 seconds i think .... think he'd been given enough leeway there :)
Yeah, I remember it because of the fact the TV company showed the actual time he held onto it and it was well into the 20's. Although I still don't think he would have been called for it if it wasn't for repeated aborting of attempts to kick/throw it, that's always what catches my eye when I'm in the middle.

Hi
For me it has to be exceptional for it to be called. If a GK has not heeded warnings and is abusing the situation then the IDFK is called. I have never had to do that as most GKs respond to the pressure from opponents etc to release the ball.

start counting the six seconds loudly enough for a couple of his team mates to hear you and see how quick they shout at him to release it :)

start counting the six seconds loudly enough for a couple of his team mates to hear you and see how quick they shout at him to release it :)

Very risky, you will kind of be compelled to give the IDFK if you do , as the opponents will now also be aware you know the gk has breached his timescale...

A good clear shout of "keeper" is what works for me, (assuming you are not close enough at a ball out of play to give him a heads up)
If its needed a 2nd time later, an even stronger shout of "keeper lets go"
I don't think anyone can have any complaints if you penalise occasion number 3
but as with anything its what works best for you.

Very risky, you will kind of be compelled to give the IDFK if you do , as the opponents will now also be aware you know the gk has breached his timescale...

A good clear shout of "keeper" is what works for me, (assuming you are not close enough at a ball out of play to give him a heads up)
If its needed a 2nd time later, an even stronger shout of "keeper lets go"
I don't think anyone can have any complaints if you penalise occasion number 3
but as with anything its what works best for you.
very easy sell though since you have witnesses on the offenders team who heard you counting.

but if the keeper had time for the ref to get in position and a give a slow six second count them he probably deserved to have an idfk anyway

Indeed, you are left with next to no choice but to give it, if you count to 7.
With that as your marker, in the name of consistency, you are going to have to penalise every keeper who gets to 7

good luck.

Indeed, you are left with next to no choice but to give it, if you count to 7.
With that as your marker, in the name of consistency, you are going to have to penalise every keeper who gets to 7

good luck.

to be fair it normally works for me cos the keepers release it pretty quick

I've never counted the seconds out loud because on 7 seconds they are expecting you to be calling the infringement. I've certainly told keepers to hurry up and threatened something but they usually get the message that you've already warned them and do tend to hurry up after that. I can't remember actually blowing for this.... One thing that i have called a few times is when they run out of the box to do a quick fly kick and are quite clearly still holding it outside the box starting the action. They normally end up 3-4 metres outside the box at the end of the action. Hard to spot front on (without linos) but if you are still around the edge of the box its an easy spot. If i've suspected him doing it I've sometimes lagged behind to confirm my suspicion.. This really pisses of goalkeepers as they are all a bit mad....

Back