A&H

85% correct

The Referee Store
What percentage of the decisions of the ‘key match incidents panel‘ were deemed correct?

Does amuse me that a subjective decision can be right or wrong?

Subjective - ‘influenced by or based on personal beliefs or feelings, rather than based on facts’

These stats are pretty meaningless. We see week after week current and former players and coaches spout absolute nonsense about decisions that referees make, yet the EFL somehow think they are qualified to rule on whether decisions were correct. It just makes no sense.

I wonder if the players/coaches need to be swept up on the LOTG. I am guessing that is yes.

I personally like the idea that, ex-players/coaches are given appropriate training in the LOTG and are given a formal platform to provide feedback.

As they might drive change at the appropriate level. I was listening to the MOTD crew blaming VAR for ruining the game by disallowing a goal for accidental handball where the striker hadn't made himself bigger. Now we all know, that isn't VARs fault, that is just what the LOTG are. However, your average Joe or even your experienced pundit doesn't know this. Because they don't really care.

So you need to give them a platform to raise their complaint 'why are we removing goals from the game', then have the people in the know, take it to the appropriate body.

End of the day it is an entertainment business and some of the points are valid ones.

... your average Joe or even your experienced pundit doesn't know this. Because they don't really care.

I find this one of the most infuriating parts of the current them/us arguments going on, mostly on social media.

So many are asking for the game to be refereed to the spirit of the game; be consistent; apply the laws correctly. Not all of these are necessarily compatible. It doesn't mean that a referee has made an error, they have just applied one part someone else disagrees with.

Last edited:
Who actually are they? What are their experiences of refereeing? Are they all qualified in refereeing football at all?
As it states...

The Key Match Incidents Panel have seven members in total and is an independent panel primarily made up of former players and coaches, alongside one representative from the EFL and another from PGMOL. Its goal is to provide an independent assessment of decision-making during matches. It sits every week to review major incidents and assess whether the eventual rulings of decisions were correct.

As it states...

The Key Match Incidents Panel have seven members in total and is an independent panel primarily made up of former players and coaches, alongside one representative from the EFL and another from PGMOL. Its goal is to provide an independent assessment of decision-making during matches. It sits every week to review major incidents and assess whether the eventual rulings of decisions were correct.

Yes. It was not specific.

The PGMOL representative might have, he's highly likely to be the only one.

As I've said before, it is akin to putting ex-criminals in charge of appeal hearings on the basis they understand the criminal underworld.

Clever analogy.

I don't see this as a negative thing. This is probably a way of reconciling "what the game expects" and the LotG which are often in conflict.

Back