A&H

7 to 6 and 6 to 5 - New Criteria

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this mean that you can go to 5c and then 5b in a single season? 25 games min, but 10 OA to get 5c and 15 OA to 5b? Or do you need 10 and then a subsequent 15?

(I've not included 5ARs)
You would need to do 50 games. 25 OA. And 5 lines. Tall order but not impossible. Would obviously need buy in from promotion co ordinator to get you the coaching. Whether it will be allowed to double bubble now.

No way are most referees ready for 5-4 after 1 season. Before you had to do 20 games before being able to go for promo whereas now it doesn't seem like it.

The Referee Store
I'm not sure I am in favour of the new format, I was looking forward to being observed at 42 ( Just finished playing) my plan was to get to level 5 within three Seasons.

I'm not sure I am in favour of the new format, I was looking forward to being observed at 42 ( Just finished playing) my plan was to get to level 5 within three Seasons.
There’s nothing to stop you going 5c - 5a in 3 seasons and I assume the coaching reports will be similar to an observation but without a mark and with more focus on the development points & strengths.

Last edited:
I was told this information was embargoed until 31st May.

They have rolled back part of the change in level names because of an IT system that couldn't cope. So the levels are now called 7(5c), 6(5b) and 5(5a).

You do not need to do the games in one season. You can take a long as you like. Conversely, you can be promoted at any of four times in the season once you've met all the criteria.

So the levels are now called 7(5c), 6(5b) and 5(5a)
😀😄😆😂🤪 You just couldn't make it up. I do hope you actually mean they've simply reverted to 7, 6 & 5 !!!
Please tell me that's the case before I finally 'crack up'

I can't help but feel there is an element of the 'everybody gets a medal' approach. Sometimes it take a bad mark to highlight errors. (I had a 68... first game back after a 12 month layoff due to work and covid). But I corrected these flaws.

However.... maybe it will come down to being a good coach/mentor. Highlighting the weaknesses and making sure the ref addresses them. I've not seen the details but I di feel that there should be an element of pass/fail.

Snap. The main reason I have put myself in for promotion was to ensure that there was a certain number of games where I would be assessed and get support. I was effectively paying for CPD.

😀😄😆😂🤪 You just couldn't make it up. I do hope you actually mean they've simply reverted to 7, 6 & 5 !!!
Please tell me that's the case before I finally 'crack up'

I'm afraid not. Those really are the new level names. Next season they will move to the new format (assuming the IT has caught up) and drop the 7,6,5.

Having said that nothing about the new scheme is finalised yet. RDOs are supposed to be getting final confirmation on 31st May (the day before it officially starts) but I happen to know the National Referee Manager responsible has been on leave recently and is only due back tomorrow so I wouldn't be totally confident of that.

I can't help but feel there is an element of the 'everybody gets a medal' approach.

The actual point of the exercise is to encourage more people to enrol on the promotion scheme so that they have a larger pool of people going for level 4. The idea is that a larger pool of lvl 4 candidates should mean higher quality referees making their way up the pyramid.

I suspect a side effect will be reducing the value of a level 5. (Sorry, 5(5a).) You literally cannot fail. Even the LOTG test is being delivered remotely online, ie. there will be no invigilation. I'm predicting a substantial increase in the first-time pass rate.

The actual point of the exercise is to encourage more people to enrol on the promotion scheme so that they have a larger pool of people going for level 4. The idea is that a larger pool of lvl 4 candidates should mean higher quality referees making their way up the pyramid.

I suspect a side effect will be reducing the value of a level 5. (Sorry, 5(5a).) You literally cannot fail. Even the LOTG test is being delivered remotely online, ie. there will be no invigilation. I'm predicting a substantial increase in the first-time pass rate.
We must wait a few days to see what the LOTG test includes - in my CFA we used timed online LOTG tests during lockdown, with each candidate involved having a time limit before the test disappeared from their screen. Marks were similar to the previous three "in person" workshops.

We must wait a few days to see what the LOTG test includes - in my CFA we used timed online LOTG tests during lockdown, with each candidate involved having a time limit before the test disappeared from their screen. Marks were similar to the previous three "in person" workshops.
Similarly, "open book" exams tend to allow for harder questions to be set. If they are all going to be variations of level 5, it doesn't seem unreasonable to expect the tests to be more similar to the current L5-L4 test, which tends to ask convoluted and difficult questions that don't have explicitly laid-out answers in the LOTG.

Similarly, "open book" exams tend to allow for harder questions to be set.

For a lot of exams this makes sense. However, a referee needs to know the laws without being able to look them up or google them.

But the main problem with non-invigilated exams is that you have no idea who is taking them.

I suspect the FA think it doesn't really matter at grassroots levels, and I suppose they might be right. I got a lot out of just being on promotion but that was mostly discussions between candidates on in-service training days and online groups organised by my county.

For a lot of exams this makes sense. However, a referee needs to know the laws without being able to look them up or google them.

But the main problem with non-invigilated exams is that you have no idea who is taking them.

I suspect the FA think it doesn't really matter at grassroots levels, and I suppose they might be right. I got a lot out of just being on promotion but that was mostly discussions between candidates on in-service training days and online groups organised by my county.
Maybe, but the theory would be that asking complicated questions and allowing a referee to puzzle them out would still require a basic knowledge to get to the right answer in a reasonable amount of time.

You only have to look at our recent thread on offside relating to players out of play - that relatively complicated question was impossible for the OP in that thread to answer even with the LOTG copy/pasted in front of him. Because he didn't have an understanding of the fundamentals the question was building on.

Quick question, don't think it's worth a new thread.
Does OA include Veterans?
Clue might be in the words "open age", and "veterans" meaning ages 35+, but looking for confirmation.

Quick question, don't think it's worth a new thread.
Does OA include Veterans?
Clue might be in the words "open age", and "veterans" meaning ages 35+, but looking for confirmation.
Presumably since OA stands for Open age this age group contains anyone over the age of 16 and up (16+).

Technically speaking, vets isn't opon age. Open age implies anyone can play, i.e 16 to 99 (or older 😂). For vets you have to be a certain age and therefore it can' really be called open age.

Through the worst of the COVID times, I ran our county LOTG exams online (Zoom). Everyone needed to be on video the whole time and questions were sent by e mail at the start. Whilst not foolproof, the success rate was very much in line with what I'd previously seen face to face.

We had a development evening for new L4’s last night and our RDO used a site called Slido for a mini LOTG test.

It worked really well! We all scanned a QR code on our phones and then the test ran as quickly or slowly as the RDO decided. Each question had a time limit and the scores are collated at the end into a leaderboard.

Certainly wouldn’t be easy to cheat on that one due to the time constraints!

We had a development evening for new L4’s last night and our RDO used a site called Slido for a mini LOTG test.

It worked really well! We all scanned a QR code on our phones and then the test ran as quickly or slowly as the RDO decided. Each question had a time limit and the scores are collated at the end into a leaderboard.

Certainly wouldn’t be easy to cheat on that one due to the time constraints!
Slido is used in courses for those training to be referees, and is a good way to test knowledge without embarrassing people by asking their answer in front of 23 other learners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back