A&H

4 player fight not reported and they were replaced!

And if he is a Level 4 and the FA find out, he will be having a rest from doing that standard of matches.... also, if he was at the top of the merit table he wont be promoted.

The Referee Store
As others have suggested, may well be worth contacting your CFA Discipline department. Perhaps all you need to do is email them as say that as you were on half time, you had a clear view of the fight in the X vs Y match on an adjacent pitch and would be happy to testify as a witness if any more details or a second view regarding the 4 red cards shown are needed. And then it's hardly your fault if they know nothing about those red cards and open up an investigation as a result....

Like this approach. With just reporting you run the risk that the referee (although very unlikely) actually did report the reds, which would make you look slightly foolish.

It doesn’t surprise me in the slightest.

Ive seen a few referees over the years who were more interested in making their lives easier in the short term rather than thinking about the longer term impact of their not putting cards in etc.

On replacing sent off players, we have discussed this before and it comes down to semantics.

I wait for another stoppage after the send offs and ask both sides is they want to 'add players' on the pitch (imagine if both teams started with less than 11). You are not replacing sent off players. Obviously this is something you would only try in a friendly and if they are nice enough to you 😜

I would have said to the ref you are reporting those cards by midday tomorrow and i be contacting the league to see, if you have not, then i certainly will

and leave it to the higher bodies

I make it clear that I will stick to the laws in friendlies, however, where there is a chance to give a benefit of the doubt, I will.
I think this is the approach I like to take - and that's a good way of putting it.

On a similar note, I have in the past suggested that benches substitute players that are otherwise getting a caution. Until one game when that caused almighty uproar and near refusal, that could have easily led to reds instead. I'm now more of the view that officiating friendlies is more trouble than it's generally worth...!

I'm intrigued by this discussion.

In my mind, something is either a game, in which case I ref it like any other game, or it is a scrimmage, in which case they can do whatever they want (random PKs or DFKs or CKs just topractice, etc.). And if it's a scrimmage, they don't need a ref.

In my mind, something is either a game, in which case I ref it like any other game, or it is a scrimmage, in which case they can do whatever they want (random PKs or DFKs or CKs just topractice, etc.). And if it's a scrimmage, they don't need a ref.
In my mind too. Unfortunately the culture of the game and the expectations that go with that don't always match with that view. There's been plenty of similar discussions about cautions in junior football too, for similar reasons.

Exactly ! either hire a referee and ask them to referee the game to the laws, or have a training session with a coach in charge

Last edited:
In my latest 'friendly', I may have allowed substituted players from one team to join the other team. I may also have allowed dismissed players to be replaced in a previous friendly. But I wouldn't admit to using my judgement on occasion, because I always apply every Law strictly in accordance with the wording in the book... like the rest of you ;)

I had an open age game on Tuesday evening. Cautioned a player for a reckless tackle on the half hour mark, subsequently sinbinned a another player who protested at my decision, then had to follow it up with a red card after an even worse verbal assault. Opposition coach then called me over and said it would be okay for them to replace that player as it's a friendly. I said absolutely not, he spoke to me in an unacceptable manner, he has to go and his team have to play with 10 men. He did me no favours because the players then turned it all on me for not allowing them to bring some one on in a friendly game.
It is bizarre when they do that isn't it? I once gave a red card to an away player and who protested it the most? The home team! Ridiculous carry on that only served to make my job an awful lot more difficult. It is extremely undermining. I have decided if it happens again they are getting booked for dissent, then we can see how strongly they feel about being lawyers for the sentenced.

Back