A&H

3rd game today - t'was horrible

I disagree strongly with this advice. I quick briefing - less than one minute - can save you all sorts of problems later on. For example if Regal Ref had briefed and said "I want you to take your own left backs" or similar then there would have been no need for the situation he describes.

To be fair I wasn't really bothered if they took their own or each other's left or right backs. I would really hope they could understand the requirement for one to be on each side without me needing to stop the game and tell them.

I didn't tell them to bring a ball or nets or corner flags etc?

The Referee Store
I used to have pre-match instructions. I just realised one day no-one was really listening.
Might just be Manchester?
Anyway, I took the advice of a much more experienced ref that ran a line for me once and limited my talk to "At the end of this, please hand these flags to a responsible adult. Head or tails. Which goal do you want to attack? Your kick".
The player's seem to appreciate the lack of the same speech they've heard 100 times.
But to each their own

Just to be clear I NEVER give players/captains any pre match instructions, but CARs are different.

Save your self a lot of problems if you outline the basics required IMHO.

Thanks for all the replies.

I went to a local mens game on tuesday and realised that the verbal abuse I received was not nearly as bad as that which the ref got then. Not that its acceptable in any form.

Lots of good tips which i'm anxious to put into practice. Gutted i've gotta wait 3 weeks having just got into the swing of things.

As a young ref also, you go through some hard games. Just keep going. After every game I ask myself "What could I improve on for next time" I also write it down so I can remember.

Just keep trying to improve the problems you feel you had in that match, you'll get use to it eventually and end up having lots of good games.

Hope it gives you an insight on how you could ensure a bad game doesn't happen again.

Back