A&H

3rd and final assessment

A

Arran Williams

final assessment done but getting rather annoyed with the silly little hiccups that keep happening such as the magic sponge guy coming on but i thought he didn't treat the player and in my mind that said he doesn't need to go off.
1.Application of Law: This game was played in bitterly coldconditions on a good yielding
grass surface. You gave a good field inspection well before the kick-off time. Both teams had their studs inspected but I did not notice you inspecting for jewellery, etc. This is also part of your duty.
Prior to giving the whistle start you shouted to both goalkeepers and gave them a wave to ask them if they were ready to start the game! This action was repeated at the start of the second half.
As you are expected to be “fair and impartial” I advise that you delete this action from your refereeing repertoire. What right have G.K’s to be asked if they are ready to start? At the actual start there were 2 Blue players standing in the opposite half of the field for kick-off. This is your first chance to take control of the game yet you let it go. Beware in future games. You generally noticed those Penal offences that required punishing and dealt with these in a correct manner although there were 4 instances when a player jumped into an opponent when jumping for the ball. Please be aware of this type of foul. Half way into the first half a Red player went down onto his knees injured. Play continued into the opponents half for several seconds. You blew to stop the game and went to the player – the opposing ‘medic ran to the player to help if needed. After a quick ‘sponge’ the player remained on the field and you then re-started the game with an ‘arranged’ dropped ball whereby the home player kicked the ball to the opposite goalkeeper. This was from the position of where the injury to the player was received.. As play had proceeded some 15 metres further up field this was incorrect in Law. It should have been from the position where the BALL was when play was stopped.The player should have gone off the field until play resumed. Be aware of this in future games. Also it is not your job to ‘arrange’ the dropped ball kick to the goalkeeper. Just drop the ball and leave it to the players to sort out.

2. Match Control: Your control of the game and playerswas good over the 90 minutes and you used common-sense to sort out some of the situations which arose. Although these were few in number they still needed a strong rebuke or sharp word to let the player/s know your feelings. The away players tended to question your decisions occasionally and sometimes they gathered round you to do this. Do not try to explain any decisions when they are gathered round you but smartly move away to your next position and get the game re-started promptly. Cautions were issued and they were well deserved. The game was end-to-end and played with little respite throughout. It was my opinion that you controlled the game well.

3. Positioning, Fitness & Work Rate: Your work-rate was very good with many sharp bursts of speed to try to take you into those better viewing positions. This was maintained for the whole of the 90 minutes. Well done. I did, however, note that you tended to get mixed up in play at times and had to take evasive action on at least 6 occasions. I advise that you move in a wider diagonal path of patrol. You did go to the touchlines at times but be aware of your nearness to play when an attack is taking place. When a throw-in is given at a position near to the corner flag I would advise that you come out onto the touchline or the goal-line looking at the players in the Penalty Area. You tend to stand, looking at the thrower, with your back to players in the P A. and therefore miss the pushing and pulling behind you. Please be aware of this.

4. Alertness & Awareness, Including Management of Stoppages: In general your awareness was good with little escaping your attention. I am sure, however, that you did not notice the ‘triangle markings’ at the corners instead of an arc as per Law. I spoke to the groundsman re this – whether any changes will be made is pure conjecture. Although play was generally re- started promptly I did feel that you could have used the second match ball more often as the goalkeepers at the road end of the ground often had to disappear into the thicket of bushes to ‘find’ the ball. This took many seconds at times. The second ball’s use could have saved a number of minutes later in the game especially as the darkness was descending quickly. You allowed 2 minutes ‘extra’ in the first half to cover for injuries, ball out of play, etc. and 4 minutes in the second. Your estimate of 9.15 metres was good with encroaching players ordered back to the required distance from the ball at free-kicks. My one piece of advice is that when a player moves to stand in front of the ball, at the taking of a free-kick, in order to stop the ‘quickie’ then order him to get back smartly before you attempt to pace out the distance. If he does not move smartly then it is your prerogative to caution him if needed.

5. Communication: Your hand direction signals were clear and positive at all times leaving players in no doubt as to your intentions. I do, however, feel that your whistle could be blown a little louder with stronger or lesser blasts according to the severity of the offence. It is your one means of communication with players at times. I was pleased to see that you gave rebukes and ‘quiet words’ to players where needed and they generally responded to your ministrations.

6. Teamwork: Club assistants were used in this game and they appeared to give fair and helpful decisions to you. I was pleased to see that you thanked them at the end of the game.

7. Advantage: This was played sparingly and with common-sense throughout. It did seem that the players would rather have the free-kick instead.

Strengths
Section
Development Areas
Section
2.​
Good control throughout. Well done.
4​
Note those illegal markings..
3.​
Good all round physical fitness, very good work-rate.
5​
Whistle needs some working on – stronger blasts required.
3.​
Good positions taken at free-kicks, etc.
4.​
Use the second ball more often to save time later in the game when darkness falls.

A&H International
A lot of advice there!

But then i suppose that is what you want from an assessment. At this level though, I thought it was a bit harsh with regards to the corner arcs, not sure how bad they actually were. I wonder what he expected you to do? delay kick off and get them repainted?!

No worries from that though, pretty good in general. Feels nice to have them all done and dusted!

Apparently it should have been a case of speaking to the manager, informing him that im reporting it then carry on. I would say yes to "Feels nice to have them all done and dusted" but my 1st assessment wasn't great, at best and that along with my club mars are slightly worrying but hey what can you do.

the one that confuses me was checking with the keeper before KO, I always wave to both and have never ever ever been picked up on it :S

I was going to say, like the guys above, thought that checking with the goalkeepers was good practice and thought most referees did it?

Thumbs up keeper, thumbs up assistant, thumbs up other keeper, thumbs up other assistant and we are good to go. I can't see anything wrong with it!

I've certainly never mentioned in an assessment about checking if the keepers are ready! Personally I don't see what the problem is

I've certainly never mentioned in an assessment about checking if the keepers are ready! Personally I don't see what the problem is
Would you mark down if someone didn't do it though?

Quick note on this. Watched a premier league game on tv yesterday (can't remember which one).

That referee checked if the keepers were ready, I guess because of the weather?

I hope he gets pulled up on it like you did!

Thanks for this Arran. There a some good pointers in there that I could certainly learn from. Overall though it seemed like you had a very good assessment.

Could anyone who is an asseor help me out I am a bit stuck with by asking if the GKs are ready that come under AOL!
How???
Arran- If I was you I would sent it to your County RDO and see what he thinks to me that is not AOL!

As I said above, when I'm assessing i wouldn't dream of marking that as AOL, its merely a courtesy thing. I certainly wouldn't tell anyone to not do it.

spoke with a few, it's not something i'm going to take up with county. it's not in the law, i thought i'd test it the game after, caused me problems from the start. keeper was stood in goals had gloves on but wernt strapped up. will just be making sure if i get this assessor again i won't do it.

I've been told by two or three assessors to can the "GK?" question -- what if they say no? Are we going to wait because one player isn't ready? Is it their prerogative to get the match going? Not at all -- you are the referee and you are the sole timekeeper. If they're not ready, they should have not come onto the field yet (the match can't start if there aren't two goalkeepers on the field).

Otherwise, it just looks like the advice comes down to a good referee with the potential to be great when you calm down and stop trying to do more than you are meant to do. Follow the LOTG, don't try to do too much. That's one of the best things I learned: if it isn't in your remit as referee, don't even bother. The most important thing is for you to know what is and is not your responsibility and to stay within your jurisdiction and focus on doing everything right within that remit.

The 'Goalkeeper ready' comment from the assessor is confusing. For a start, why would asking BOTH keepers be considered not being impartial?

It's good practice. If you start the game and a goalkeeper is not ready, and he concedes within 2 seconds, although you have been correct in Law, wave goodbye to your Match Control from that point onwards! I'd also consider it poor Awareness from a candidate if they started the game without all the players being ready in such a way.

I'm an assessor myself and I would never dream of mentioning checking with the 'keepers any form of development point, UNLESS by doing so / not doing so created problems of some form in the game.

Back