A&H

3 teams in a penalty shootout?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
I really would go back to the Competition organisers. They need to be clear else they are inviting a potential 'protest' by a losing team if the procedure you used was considered incorrect.

This sounds like something IFAB would do :). Putting a 'good idea' into the rules/laws without properly thinking through it's implications. (new goal kick procedure, ball hitting ref, goal via non deliberate handball...)

This sounds like something IFAB would do :). Putting a 'good idea' into the rules/laws without properly thinking through it's implications. (new goal kick procedure, ball hitting ref, goal via non deliberate handball...)
Maybe VAR would fall into that list too 👍

I have now agreed a way forward.

In the event of all teams being tied there will be a penalty shoot out (5 pens each). This is decided by the order each team plays each other in the first 3 games.

Team A v goalkeeper B
Team B v goalkeeper C
Team C v goalkeeper A

After 5 kicks if all 3 teams are level sudden death kicks.

If two teams are level then one goalkeeper drops out (the losing team) and the other two face each other in sudden death.

CFA says goal difference or anything like it cannot be used.

I got there in the end!

Chances are you won't have to do it anyway.

Strange why they would ignore goal difference but that's their call.

I have now agreed a way forward.

In the event of all teams being tied there will be a penalty shoot out (5 pens each). This is decided by the order each team plays each other in the first 3 games.

Team A v goalkeeper B
Team B v goalkeeper C
Team C v goalkeeper A

After 5 kicks if all 3 teams are level sudden death kicks.

If two teams are level then one goalkeeper drops out (the losing team) and the other two face each other in sudden death.

CFA says goal difference or anything like it cannot be used.

I got there in the end!

I would still be giving that a very wide swerve. Way too complicated for a referee to have to manage. So let's say Team B drop out, meaning Team A now take their penalties against the keeper from Team C from that point on. That's totally incorrect in law, just isn't worth the hassle.

In the extremely unlikely even that all three teams are level, although more likely if GD or goals scored can't be used, it should be lots drawn.

I'm controlled by the county so it's out of my hands. Their rules.
Then I would say they should get either your RDO to do or the chairman of the rules committee - as any compliants to the CFA or even National FA and you are the respondent.

Sorry to keep banging on, but I still think this is sh1t show waiting to happen. When we are training referees, we always say manage the possible...

I have a competition coming up and the rules say that after the 3 group games if all 3 teams are level on points they want a 3 way penalty shoot-out.

My question is how would we facilitate a 3 way penalty shoot-out?

3 way no holds barred, no disqualifications penalty shootout.

Sledgehammers, chairs and tables are all allowed, and encouraged.

Last team standing and able to complete 5 spot kicks wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back