A&H

3 teams in a penalty shootout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
I have a competition coming up and the rules say that after the 3 group games if all 3 teams are level on points they want a 3 way penalty shoot-out.

My question is how would we facilitate a 3 way penalty shoot-out?

The Referee Store
Ask the comp organisers. No such thing in the laws of the game.

Or is it left up to you and you are asking for suggestions ?

Suggestion:

• 3 kickers and a goal keeper (keeper can be a kicker) from each team on the field and everyone else off.
  • Each team takes 3 kicks against each of two opponent keepers (2 each kicker, 6 in total). Use rotation like KFTPM.
  • At the end (of 3x6 kicks) the team with most goals wins
  • If three way draw, sudden death kicks
  • If a two way draw, bottom team is eliminated and sudden death kicks
  • Sudden death: two kickers leave (only one kicker takes kicks). Repeat taking kicks (against one or two keepers) until there is a clear winner.

Other standard rules of KFTPM apply.

Suggestion:

• 3 kickers and a goal keeper (keeper can be a kicker) from each team on the field and everyone else off.
  • Each team takes 3 kicks against each of two opponent keepers (2 each kicker, 6 in total). Use rotation like KFTPM.
  • At the end (of 3x6 kicks) the team with most goals wins
  • If three way draw, sudden death kicks
  • If a two way draw, bottom team is eliminated and sudden death kicks
  • Sudden death: two kickers leave (only one kicker takes kicks). Repeat taking kicks (against one or two keepers) until there is a clear winner.

Other standard rules of KFTPM apply.
They state they wants normal penalty procedure - 5 each and then sudden death as per normal.

I have a competition coming up and the rules say that after the 3 group games if all 3 teams are level on points they want a 3 way penalty shoot-out.

My question is how would we facilitate a 3 way penalty shoot-out?
Not much chance of all three teams ending on same points (and goal difference). You shouldn't have to be figuring this out.
Ask the comp organisers. No such thing in the laws of the game.

Or is it left up to you and you are asking for suggestions ?
If they were asking me, I'd tell them where to go. You officiate, you don't design competitions

This is a bit of a mess but my word is my word.

They are saying if equal on points and no mention of goal difference.

They state they wants normal penalty procedure - 5 each and then sudden death as per normal.
Do you have to do it with one hand behind your back and while standing on your head too?

As BH said. Walk away. Not worth it. It's a sign of thing to come once you get there.

Currently it appears to be left to me.

If the organisers decide such "c0cked eye" rules, give it back to them. You cannot be expected to decide and then organise - if a club complains, then you will be responsible for answering.

If you have said you will help and feel that you have to stick with your word, then get them down to explain the rules to the clubs. My suggestion, if the organisers cannot sort this out, is walk away.

Is this a competition with the CFA? If so, the organisers should have seen and approved the competition rules. If not, then you could be in trouble for officiating.

Best solution - drawing of lots or rock, paper, scissors.

Then it has to be
A v B
B v C
C v A

And draw a mini-table up for the winners... and penalties scored as Goal Difference

Not your problem, tell them that you want a tournament organiser pitch side to sort it out and give you and the clubs instructions, If they won't do that then, as others have said, walk away from it.

Man, I can't imagine the grief flowing across the ocean if someone my side of the pond came up with this moronic idea . . .

They have now said a penalty shoot out will be used after goal difference etc. But if there are 3 1-1 draws (there are only 3 games) how do you do a penalty shoot out with 3 teams?

They have now said a penalty shoot out will be used after goal difference etc. But if there are 3 1-1 draws (there are only 3 games) how do you do a penalty shoot out with 3 teams?

Its not THAT difficult is it?

Draw lots for who takes 1st 2nd and 3rd. 5 pens each, sudden death if teams are level after 5.

Can't see the FA getting involved whatever happens if you adopt that format:rolleyes:

Its not THAT difficult is it?

Draw lots for who takes 1st 2nd and 3rd. 5 pens each, sudden death if teams are level after 5.

Can't see the FA getting involved whatever happens if you adopt that format:rolleyes:
Rolls eyes - what does that mean?

My question was more around which keeper do you use for each penalty - for instance one keeper is brilliant and the two others not so good.

Surely the keeper has to face all 5 penalties from the same team?

Rolls eyes - what does that mean?

My question was more around which keeper do you use for each penalty - for instance one keeper is brilliant and the two others not so good.

Surely the keeper has to face all 5 penalties from the same team?

Apologies - brain fade on the keepers. But again you can draw lots for it 1 v 2 or 3 GK; 2 v 1 or 3 and 3 v 1 or 2.

My admittedly sarcastic FA comment was really directed at some above getting on high horse about it.

Its unlikely to happen but if it does if you construct a fair and equitable way of sorting it out AND let the teams know beforehand I can't see it being a huge problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back