A&H

2020/2021 season registration. Wait?

I'm in Hull in the morning @Mintyref , are there any special local measures I need to add for my risk assessment, my jabs are up to date I'm sure since the last visit!!
You'll need to quarantine for two weeks when you get here.......non of that foreign South Yorkshire stuff in God's own part of heaven that is Yorkshire....would you like a socially distanced coffee in my garden?

The Referee Store
I wonder how many 'older' refs will jack it in in the meantime. aged 50+ referees are certainly putting themselves in more risk being around younger players who aren't tested anywhere near the levels of the SG! Certainly something to think about for 2021

I wonder how many 'older' refs will jack it in in the meantime. aged 50+ referees are certainly putting themselves in more risk being around younger players who aren't tested anywhere near the levels of the SG! Certainly something to think about for 2021
Were grass roots football about to start tomorrow then I'd agree, a number of referees might think twice .... even though the chance of outdoor transmission happening to an official would be very, very low (even assuming that one of the 30 players was amongst the estimated 1 in 1,700 of the population currently carrying the virus).

However you have to imagine that the world will look very different in a couple of months time, hopefully for the better!

Also, worth considering that, for many referees, the income from officiating will be much welcomed in what are likely to be problematic economic times. It may in fact be that referee retention is actually improved in 20/21, especially if more counties follow the lead set by one or two in waiving their registration fees!

[/QUOTE

As I've said before its all about your own personal attitude to risk. On the flip side of your argument are the 'facts' that younger people form by far the lowest % of those infected and I read that WHO 'think', but not proved, that people with no symptoms may not be able to pass on the virus.

If you're that way inclined you can worry about crashing your car on the way to the match, having a heart attack while running around or being attacked by a player, official or spectator!

To my knowledge all ages can get it and pass it on equally, the older (50+) age thing kicks in for the severity and apparent death rate with other older health conditions chucked in!

To my knowledge all ages can get it and pass it on equally, the older (50+) age thing kicks in for the severity and apparent death rate with other older health conditions chucked in!

Of course all ages CAN get it, but as YOU implied older people are generally more vulnerable. Also as I've said before, its also generally thought that outside transmission from fleeting contact is unlikely so for me personally risk is acceptable - I would take a fixture tomorrow - but as I said everyone is different and their risk perception will be different too.

Only thing I personally would ask, for those anxious not to resume any aspect of 'normality' what are you waiting for exactly? 0% risk is never going to happen and obviously vaccine timetable is anyone's guess.

My grandsons U8 training starts this week, a few distancing rules but nothing different to a return to school brings risk wise!

Theres has to be a level where football becomes acceptable, and that level is not zero risk. If that's what we are looking for then we wont get any football until theres a vaccine and that seems absurd. Theres has to be a number, based on probability, where we say ok, it's safe to play again. Let's say that following scientific research done by the FA, that chances of being infected by coronavirus are 5% (arbitrary number). Do we accept that? Because if we dont then we dont have football until we have a vaccine, and we may not have a vaccine for years if ever.

Somebody has to sign off a return to low level sports and therefore there needs to be science behind it. But ultimately, there needs to be an acceptance of a reasonable risk, otherwise there is no football.

I know they're different, but theres a risk of influenza being passed on ever Winter during every game of football. Public health England estimate that its 17,000 people who die here every year. Now if we get the Covid-19 rate down to 17,000 a year, which is definitely achievable in the near future based on how the rates across the EU are dropping, do we say that its sufficiently safe to allow football? Again, inexact science and packet fag numbers, but it does show that we need to accept some risk if we want football back.

Agree and a point to note is that the flu deaths that happen every year, happen despite vaccine being available to all and free to the over 60s.

Flu vaccine is just a catch-all for what they predict is the common strain for the flu season isn't it?

Anyway, in Wales we have an issue.

FAW is not allowing training. I understand England is. We've actually got reports of some clubs at grassroots have ignored the rules and have started training. Not a good thing.

I wonder if we'll have training given the go ahead on Monday, when the usual three weekly review comes in. Still a long way to go potentially for us.

I imagine the fitness tests will be rolled out soon if they give the all clear for training. Half of me wishes they waive it! :p

Flu vaccine is just a catch-all for what they predict is the common strain for the flu season isn't it?

More like strains - the vaccine is a soup of viruses including that most prevalent and now includes the H1N1 bird flu that was in cycle during the late 2000s as well as the swine flu strain that went global around 2010.

Back