A&H

1st Competitive UK VAR

Sheffields Finest

Maybe I'm foolish, maybe I'm blind!
Level 7 Referee
Once this genie is out of the bottle you cant put it back....I think this will end in tears but here goes.....

I heard an interview today from ex ref saying the system is generally used one game in 3/4..... Knowing how the UK Leagues work and the pressure involved, I bet this is used 3-4 times per match and methodically pulled apart for weeks after....VAR-EXTRA Thoughts??

The Referee Store
Still would prefer a review system. If you look at the other sports that have trialled it the interesting one to look at is Hockey as it is a more similar sport to football than any others (rugby, cricket and tennis) that are so frequently compared. They use a review system and it has worked very well.

It would also kill two birds with one stone by getting rid of dissent. Of course, this is not going to be in the lower reaches of the game but as kids grow up seeing less of it on TV they will give less when they're on the pitch themselves.

The only thing they could use technology for so far is to try and work out where Palace's players are, as they certainly haven't turned up on the pitch ... :)

The only thing they could use technology for so far is to try and work out where Palace's players are, as they certainly haven't turned up on the pitch ... :)
Tru dat. But as a Bton boy, I am chuffed right now. Surely the second 45 can't be this much of a breeze?
Marriner is a joy to watch as usual. The game could do with a Craig Bellamy to slide in a nasty TBH. And those empty seats! I was at the Amex a few weeks ago and it makes me sad... too many games over Chrimbo?

No red for McArthur? Trip with no attempt at all to play the ball.
Atkinson didn’t even issue a yellow card.

Why would there be VAR
Its not obvious?
It's pretty obvious on the reply that Murray tries to handle the ball into the goal - whether he makes contact or not is in doubt from the angle they showed on the replay I saw. That seems obvious to me. And I think that's one reason why AM looks nervous walking off...

Am not fully versed in VAR (yet) but I thought it was to be used tonight anyway for obvious mistakes. The fact you consider it a doubt makes it clear for me its not obvious.

So if its not an obvious error, then no VAR
Is my understanding

The good thing about this, in the UK anyway, is nonebof us are experts in it so its very much trial and error and learn as we go

That isn't how it works in the PGMOL implementation. They review every goal, so if Swarbrick had seen any handling he would have told Marriner before play restarts. He can either then accept the advice and disallow the goal, or go to watch it on the TV screen.

What I meant was....there was no reason for VAR to do anything as there was no obvious error, did not mean no VAR as in, he would not be watching
No reason to tell Mariner to review it or no reason for VAR himself to actually get involved.

Reactions: ASM
Ok it's not an obvious mistake but only because the footage is inconclusive. This is a VAR fail for me. It could have been a handball. We don't know. VAR doesn't know based on the footage I have seen. Makes a nonsense of it. And this was a tame game in a half empty stadium that both teams seemed to play as if content to lose.

This is already going the same way as the shabby experience in Oz and the states;)

VAR is constrained by the number of camera angles available, and how clear the view of a potential incident is I.e. whether players are in the way etc.

Even if there were 200 cameras there’s no guarantee that they’d have had a clearer view.

Of course if it does get used in every PL game at some point there will be differences on the number of cameras available at different stadiums.

So you might have 30 cameras available at old Trafford but only 25 at Bournemouth, or the could have the same number of cameras but in different positions.

Either way, I don’t think last nights match had enough going on to say whether it was a success or a failure.

Back