A&H

1 player, 2 games same time

BES

Strange one today...

Away team make a sub as player enters field the home team start shouting, you can't bring him in he was playing on the other pitch.

The same club had a team playing in the next pitch but in a different league.

Is a player allowed to be named in 2 matches being played at the same time?

I assume he is signed to the club so can play in both leagues that they represent but how can he named to play in different teams , in different leagues at the same time.

It has to be against the spirit of the game at least?

Thoughts

The Referee Store
It's a regular occurrence down my way that players (especially youth) are duel signed to Dorset and Bournemouth League teams and will often play for both teams on the same day dependant of kick off times and locations.

Not come across players playing for 2 different teams at the same time, probably due to logistics, but I guess as long as they are legitimately signed to both teams and if the respective league requires team sheets is named on the sheets, can't see a problem with it.

As a referee, if his name was on the team sheet when it was handed to me pre-match, then he can play. If the opposition want to lodge a protest post-match, that's up to them.

Last edited:
If it's youth isn't there a maximum amount of minutes a player can play in a day? Maybe that's a just recommendation.

There is FA guidance with regard to maximum amount of minutes youth players should play, however clubs, especially academies often ignore it completely.

I have come across something like this before with a local team who have teams in different divisions of the same league. They have 2 pitches side by side and will occasionally have the odd player named in both teams. From a ref perspective, if the player is named on the team sheet as a sub, he gets to come on.

They have to be a little careful around numbers of players who can drop from the first team down to a lower team (I think it's 4) but again, not my concern on the day.

Lionel Messi can turn up and claim he's called John Smith and I'll let him play! It's not our job to make sure players are 'eligible'. They give us the Team Sheet and all we can do is enforce from that sheet

There is FA guidance with regard to maximum amount of minutes youth players should play, however clubs, especially academies often ignore it completely.
The FA updated this recently. Our club had asked for clarification from the CFA, due to a number of teams trying to force specific KO times to allow members of one of their teams registered in one league (their "A" team) to then play for their other ("B" team) in another league. Probably not related to our query, but the guidance is no more - it is now a requirement (for youth). Depends upon the age of the players, but there is now a maximum time a player is allowed to play on any single day, regardless of competition. But yes, nothing to do with the ref - its up to clubs to challenge.

A few years ago, the club I was at had 2 teams, one in divison one and one in division four. On two occasions I played for both teams at home on the same day (pitches were right next to eachother). There are rules against it in Senior football I'm sure (reinstatement), but nothing I believe stopping junior/youth players from doing so.

As long as he's named as a sub then there's no issue.

This reminds me of a question I had on a promotion exam a few years ago where a player has been sent off from the game on another pitch and then wants to come on as a sub in the game you're refereeing.

In our county league we occasionally have double header games - the teams play each other twice, back to back, as alternately home and away fixtures - at the end of the season where teams have to catch up with un-played fixtures. These are played 40 minutes each way, with a short break in-between. I did one (two?) of these a few years back between two local teams who didn't like each other. I dismissed three players in the first match. The players dismissed in the first game were eligible for the return fixture because they had not received any suspension. I then had to dismiss two more in the second game (different players to the first game).
On this occasion the players dismissed weren't an issue (no more than any of the others at least!) but where there's bad feeling after one game this can carry over to the next. However, if the players are not under suspension and are named on the team sheets then they are eligible to play.

Back