A&H

Sin Bins - are you finding they help?

The Referee Store
That would treat dissent as worse than a reckless challenge . . . ?
And so it should.

If the IFAB/FIFA want to rid the game of the scourge of abuse/dissent, they need to increase the severity of the punishment. Comparing/contrasting to other offences shouldn't come into it.

It works in rugby union...

It shouldn't be, and the people to deal with that are the match officials, many of whom have come to accept it as part of the game . . .
Indeed, and I'm guilty of not issuing a caution for dissent the other night that I should have. When I did issue it later on, he was quiet for the rest of the game.
A club secretary was telling me that he charges his players big fine's for cautions for things like dissent, and doesn't fine them at all for foul tackle cautions. I think this is a good approach (and that's at step 4 where they don't have a sinbin).
He said they very rarely get them since he put that in place.

Indeed, and I'm guilty of not issuing a caution for dissent the other night that I should have. When I did issue it later on, he was quiet for the rest of the game.
A club secretary was telling me that he charges his players big fine's for cautions for things like dissent, and doesn't fine them at all for foul tackle cautions. I think this is a good approach (and that's at step 4 where they don't have a sinbin).
He said they very rarely get them since he put that in place.
That's how we used to work when I managed a team. If it was a caution for a reckless challenge or SPA the club paid the fine, any fines for completely avoidable offences like dissent, OFFINABUS and VC were charged back to the player.

I now coach a team and our club charge the player / parent for any cautions or sending offs. We like to encourage fair play.

I have to say, as someone soon to embark on their refereeing career, the application of the sin bin is incredibly intimidating, as is understanding the variations of dismissals, non-dismissals, who can return, who can't return (especially for someone who will be new to refereeing).

I think it has been made unecessarily complex and they should've just stuck with any combination of 2 yellows is a dismissal. No idea why the law makers felt players and clubs needed a second chance or the lifeline to sub off a reccurring dissent-er.

I don't think the FA resources are bad, but I can't exactly be seen to be pulling out my A4 document each time I have to book a player (will take me a while to memorise all outcomes, especially alongside the other 17 laws).

1708632801690.png1708632822411.png

I have to say, as someone soon to embark on their refereeing career, the application of the sin bin is incredibly intimidating, as is understanding the variations of dismissals, non-dismissals, who can return, who can't return (especially for someone who will be new to refereeing).

I think it has been made unecessarily complex and they should've just stuck with any combination of 2 yellows is a dismissal. No idea why the law makers felt players and clubs needed a second chance or the lifeline to sub off a reccurring dissent-er.

I don't think the FA resources are bad, but I can't exactly be seen to be pulling out my A4 document each time I have to book a player (will take me a while to memorise all outcomes, especially alongside the other 17 laws).

View attachment 7135View attachment 7136
I think the key thing from all this is really 3 things:

- A player receives 2 sin-bins and takes no further part in the match but can be replaced.

- A player receives a Sin-Bin and 2 standard YC's, a red shown for receiving 2 cautions.

- A player receives a yellow card and 2 sin-bins, he can't return to take part or be substituted.

In over the 100 games I've done, the only situation I've seen arise is when I sin-binned a player twice for doing the identical thing twice. Unluckily for him, he got himself sent off as he walked off for his second sin-bin!! Anything else is extremely uncommon but obviously not impossible!

Last edited:

Somewhere, I think A&H, sell a yellow card that has a small version of that on the back of it!

A number of versions to fit on the back of a yellow card are available.

Not only is it complex, but it's really annoying when they keep changing things. How do you expect a coach / parent referee at a grassroots match to understand this ? It's been made way too elaborate. Everyone understood Yellow and Red cards.

Not sure>

I knew somebody who was senior in the FA (dead now) and he said sin-bins were introduced to punish the player, not the team (hence the status quo).

Who knows.
Unfortunately the team is normally punished as likely to concede a goal or more, while a player is Sin-Binned.

Not only is it complex, but it's really annoying when they keep changing things. How do you expect a coach / parent referee at a grassroots match to understand this ? It's been made way too elaborate. Everyone understood Yellow and Red cards.
What has been changed? Sin bins are the same now as they were when they came in?

This is a topic specifically about sin bins, and you said ...

Not only is it complex, but it's really annoying when they keep changing things.

So my questions stands, what have they kept changing?
The introduction of sin bins, when yellow and red cards worked perfectly well. Then about to add tactical fouls and blue cards to the mix.

They changed the very well understood principle of 2 yellows = red
Yes they did, but that was a few years ago now and nothing has changed since then. And I agree that two cautions should be a red, whether sin bin or otherwise, and the new proposal will implement that.

My point is they haven't "kept changing things", sin bins haven't changed since they were implemented.

Yes they did, but that was a few years ago now and nothing has changed since then. And I agree that two cautions should be a red, whether sin bin or otherwise, and the new proposal will implement that.

My point is they haven't "kept changing things", sin bins haven't changed since they were implemented.
What was it before two cautions should be a red (whether a sin bin or otherwise), which the new proposal will implement ?

Back