A&H

Sin Bins - are you finding they help?

The Referee Store
All you need to know is

Two sin bins. Can't return, can be substituted

Yellow, and two sin bins. Can't return, can't be substituted.

Any offence in the sin bin. Can't return, can't be substituted.
From refs point of view it is this simple.

I think the issues come around communicating outcomes where a player can't come back but isn't sent off with a red card

Llll refs point of view it is this simple.

I think the issues come around communicating outcomes where a player can't come back but isn't sent off with a red card
Agree but there's refs who definitely get themselves confused as well.

Anyway blue cards approved. If sin-bins are used for tactical fouls then second sin-bin situations will become prevalent.

Agree but there's refs who definitely get themselves confused as well.

Anyway blue cards approved. If sin-bins are used for tactical fouls then second sin-bin situations will become prevalent.

"Two blues equal a red​

The new protocol announced on Friday will limit the new card to fouls that prevent a promising attack plus dissent, as well as confirming a player should be shown a red card if they receive two blue cards during a match or a combination of yellow and blue."

Perfect timing. I think we all agree on this thread that this is the correct communication technique.

I think the implementation of SPA sin bins will be difficult. Especially for accidental (careless) SPA. The punishment will be too harsh here where a yellow does the job currently. And interpretation will vary wildly amongst referees and an increase in "how is that different". I think there probably needs to be a matrix, like DOGSO, that can be easily referenced as to the decision making process.

"Two blues equal a red​

The new protocol announced on Friday will limit the new card to fouls that prevent a promising attack plus dissent, as well as confirming a player should be shown a red card if they receive two blue cards during a match or a combination of yellow and blue."

Perfect timing. I think we all agree on this thread that this is the correct communication technique.

I think the implementation of SPA sin bins will be difficult. Especially for accidental (careless) SPA. The punishment will be too harsh here where a yellow does the job currently. And interpretation will vary wildly amongst referees and an increase in "how is that different". I think there probably needs to be a matrix, like DOGSO, that can be easily referenced as to the decision making process.
Not to return if they get a yellow and blue?

yesssssss

been advocating for sin bins for tactical fouls for ages
I’m a bit dubious if this will have the intended effect—will it just make Rs less likely to consider something SPA? (Hmm, and is this going to open another can of worms with a push to have SPA resulting in sin bin reviewable by VAR?)

I'm assuming one blue card only affects that game so we are in very early stoppage time of a game and a player is on a yellow, he does a blatant cynical foul, given the time, do you produce a second yellow or do you issue a blue card? Of course the former would carry a one match ban and the latter doesn't.

should be for dissent only really in my view.

I'm assuming one blue card only affects that game so we are in very early stoppage time of a game and a player is on a yellow, he does a blatant cynical foul, given the time, do you produce a second yellow or do you issue a blue card? Of course the former would carry a one match ban and the latter doesn't.

should be for dissent only really in my view.
The article suggests Y+B will = R

I've been banging on about the damage VAR has done since Day one. Shame it's taken until this season for the media and public consensus to catch up. Better late than never I suppose
So, instead of figure out how to deal with these 'VAR teething issues' (more like 7 years of repeated root canal treatment), they have the wisdom to make another radical change instead. No doubt they think Temporary Sin Bins have been a success because the stats are showing a marked decrease in dissent. You couldn't make it up. My prediction is a similarly eye-catching decrease in the number of C1 SP's next year.... that's if grass roots Referees have figured out how and when to use those stupid codes. The Media are already slaughtering the idea, but as long as it breeds controversy and something to talk about on 247 News, it's a commercial success, so crack on. Hype is money

Last edited:
I got all excited when I saw blue cards, that should have been day one of sin bins. Issuing them for tactical fouls? I can see this being a mess

Maybe I'm reading the graph wrong but it looks too me, the player can return to the field? It's only 2 blue cards which equals to a red?
Currently a SB + YC can return/stay. The article is suggesting that will change

Currently a SB + YC can return/stay. The article is suggesting that will change
Yeah, everything I've seen proposed is that two cautions, whether sin bin ones or standard ones, will result in a sending off. Which is how it should have been when sin bins were implemented in the first place, it is way too confusing in its current guise.

Yeah, everything I've seen proposed is that two cautions, whether sin bin ones or standard ones, will result in a sending off. Which is how it should have been when sin bins were implemented in the first place, it is way too confusing in its current guise.

Surely it would have been easier for everyone to just make a SB a regular caution, but with the temporary suspension tacked on for dissent offences. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Surely it would have been easier for everyone to just make a SB a regular caution, but with the temporary suspension tacked on for dissent offences. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Absolutely, simplifying the system by treating a sin bin as a regular caution with a temporary suspension for dissent offenses would indeed make things clearer for everyone involved. Clarity is crucial in any disciplinary system, and this adjustment could help avoid confusion and ensure a more straightforward application of the rules. It's always beneficial when rule changes enhance understanding and promote fair play.

Back