A&H

Referee shirt - not tucked in? !!

How do you wear your shirt when refereeing?

• Always tucked in - anything else is slovenly.

Votes: 51 94.4%
  • Either or. Depends on how I feel. .

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Never tucked in. There's no law against it.

Votes: 2 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The Referee Store
The directive from "on high" here (in my part of Canada) is that referee shirts MUST be tucked in at all times.

Genuinely shocked this is even a debate! You're representing your county FA/The FA when you referee, so the shirt should be tucked in.
I'm no angel though. In one of my first ever games I got shouted at by a spectator to pull my socks up. They're always taped these days.

Genuinely shocked this is even a debate! You're representing your county FA/The FA when you referee, so the shirt should be tucked in.
I'm no angel though. In one of my first ever games I got shouted at by a spectator to pull my socks up. They're always taped these days.

What a load of tosh.

So a player or speccy will leave a game saying 'he was a good referee, got most things right, dealt with dissent firmly, kept a firm grip of the game. BUT HIS SHIRT WAS UNTUCKED! I hope we don't see him again.'

Am I the only person here who still doesn't believe a word Regal is saying here?
It's about first impressions. Look like a slob and people will immediately make assumptions about your performance, which will impact upon how they respond to you. This would be negatively impacting both your club marks and your formal assessments.

What a load of tosh.

So a player or speccy will leave a game saying 'he was a good referee, got most things right, dealt with dissent firmly, kept a firm grip of the game. BUT HIS SHIRT WAS UNTUCKED! I hope we don't see him again.'
On another thread today there was discussion about how we, as referees, could often tell what a team is going to be like from their warm up .. first impressions really do count. So us turning up looking smart, warming up properly etc etc will all give the impression to teams, officials, spectators that we're taking things seriously and get our credibility off to a good start. You've pretty much accepted that by talking about the fact that you take pride in other aspects of your match day appearance. So the only debate is whether tucking your shirt in is a material part of that. IMO (and it would seem that of most others on here) it is a small but significant part in portraying a professional persona ... but your opinion is different. And to be honest, unless you're being assessed, the only person you might be impacting is yourself. So if you're not bothered then just crack on ;):)

Why do you treat Sunday football differently to any other day? And what do you do on other day's when you are unsure of changing rooms?

If a match has neutral ARs I wear a shirt and tie. (Unless I have been told to turn up ready to go as happened once)
If it doesn't I go in a smart tracksuit over kit.

I don't think it does look sloppy necessarily. Body shape is a big factor here and a tucked in shirt looks more untidy on some than it being untucked.

My tuppence.

If a match has neutral ARs I wear a shirt and tie. (Unless I have been told to turn up ready to go as happened once)
If it doesn't I go in a smart tracksuit over kit.

Ditto. And if I wear a shirt and tie I tuck the shirt in. That would be untidy. It is, after all designed to be so.

On another thread today there was discussion about how we, as referees, could often tell what a team is going to be like from their warm up .. first impressions really do count. So us turning up looking smart, warming up properly etc etc will all give the impression to teams, officials, spectators that we're taking things seriously and get our credibility off to a good start. You've pretty much accepted that by talking about the fact that you take pride in other aspects of your match day appearance. So the only debate is whether tucking your shirt in is a material part of that. IMO (and it would seem that of most others on here) it is a small but significant part in portraying a professional persona ... but your opinion is different. And to be honest, unless you're being assessed, the only person you might be impacting is yourself. So if you're not bothered then just crack on ;):)

I do all of the above pre match meticulously to build rapport and aid match control, and am ALWAYS the first on the pitch for inspection and warm up.

These actions will always have a much bigger positive or negative impact on match control than if you can see the bottom 2" of material on my shirt.

I don't think it does look sloppy necessarily. Body shape is a big factor here and a tucked in shirt looks more untidy on some than it being untucked.

There are a quantity of projecting stomachs out there........ ;)

Am I the only person here who still doesn't believe a word Regal is saying here?

Your choice fruitcake, makes no difference to me.

Perhaps there are more on here but I was the only one so far to say so?

To quote Padfoot's favourite saying "show me in the laws of the game" where I have to have my shirt tucked in.

Pound to a penny says more referees officiate wearing a wedding ring than an untucked shirt.

And that IS specifically mentioned in LOTG.

(For the record, I ALWAYS take mine off, which I can't imagine goes down well with the wife when I do the ladies games)

not sure why people are getting aggy? as its been said - no mention in the LOTG and it is a choice thing! I understand assesors mayu mark you down for it but I personally would be pretty annoyed if I had the game of my life, and dropped marks because of a shirt!!

not as if @RegalRef is saying he refs with his socks down ... are you?! ha-ha

chillax peoples

Back