A&H

Referee shirt - not tucked in? !!

How do you wear your shirt when refereeing?

• Always tucked in - anything else is slovenly.

Votes: 51 94.4%
  • Either or. Depends on how I feel. .

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Never tucked in. There's no law against it.

Votes: 2 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kes

I'll Decide ...
Just before Christmas and the rain, I (briefly) watched a local Level 5 referee doing a match near my home. I couldn't at first figure out what it was about him that seemed odd and then I realised - his shirt was over his shorts!! :eek:
I'm no expert in these matters and I'm not aware of anything in the LOTG that says a referee's shirt should be tucked in but.......surely it should be tucked in..........shouldn't it? :oops: :)

The Referee Store
FA Policy:
"You should aim to be neat in appearance without looking over-dressed or showy and should make sure that your kit fits comfortably".

I agree though, I've always worn both football and ref tops tucked in. As a referee, it looks a great deal smarter and more professional.

Always tucked my shirt in when I played football. Always tuck my shirt in when I play cricket. Always tuck my shirt in when I ref. It's a very easy thing to do that makes you look more professional and at least makes you look like you're taking what you're doing seriously.

Shirt over shorts when playing natch - instant Glenn Hoddle in his pomp - adds about 25% to me own ability
Shirt over shorts when officiating - instant loss of match control - total embarrassment

Drives me crazy when I see colleagues looking slack. It is usually accompanied by head down, lazy arms... I promise this season I will have words when I see a colleague next door or in the previous match who has not remembered this (we get told to tuck in by our league).

Reactions: Kes
as a player shirt out... makes me feel edgy:)
as a ref or AR, tucked in at all times
socks up, even when i'm warming up
although i have to admit that it was soooo cold sunday just gone, i wore a coat for my pitch inspection!

I usually get to the pitch before most players for my inspection. I get kitted up in warm up kit, shirt tucked in and socks down (for comfort). I then carry out the pitch inspection whilst kicking a ball around. I then head over to the sidelines and do my warm up with ball in tow.
After my warm up, I then go get my proper kit on; shirt in, socks up! It's the game where it matters! As with you Richard, over these last few months I've usually warmed up in jacket and a beanie hat! I get cold extremely easy and become dysfunctional (I've even been diagnosed with the problem by a GP, a mild form of Hypothyroidism). I've always got to wear climacool kit under my shirt and shorts! I wouldn't wear my jacket whilst refereeing but on two occasions this season, I have worn my hat (It's surprising how much difference it makes; it's usually off in 20 minutes).

although i have to admit that it was soooo cold sunday just gone, i wore a coat for my pitch inspection!
Why wouldn't you? Pitch inspection is one of the first things that gets done, usually won't even get changed for that.
Warming up - IMO, still have socks pulled up. Down just looks sloppy, and your appearance still counts here. I used to have a warm-up shirt (just a ref badged t-shirt), can't remember if I tucked that in or not, might have looked worse tucked in actually.
but anytime you're wearing your refs shirt and you're in public view, must by tucked in.

I did once nearly forget my shorts (had my undershorts on and apparently, my shirt tucked into that.....wasn't until I was at the door doing my pocket check that I realised!!)

Reactions: DB
ahaa I've done that before... It was rather embarrassing when I got asked by the referee to put some shorts on! None of my "teammates" told me! :(:ninja:

Why wouldn't you? Pitch inspection is one of the first things that gets done, usually won't even get changed for that.
Warming up - IMO, still have socks pulled up. Down just looks sloppy, and your appearance still counts here. I used to have a warm-up shirt (just a ref badged t-shirt), can't remember if I tucked that in or not, might have looked worse tucked in actually.
but anytime you're wearing your refs shirt and you're in public view, must by tucked in.

I did once nearly forget my shorts (had my undershorts on and apparently, my shirt tucked into that.....wasn't until I was at the door doing my pocket check that I realised!!)
haha, i dont do undershorts so i hope i dont ever do that , my spongebob pants would certainly have affected my match control !!

when I played = tucked in, socks all the way up to knee and then taped round so they don't fall down!
referee = shirt tucked in, socks up, shirt buttons done up, collar folded properly

Sunday league when I'm not sure of changing rooms I arrive in my kit, shower proof jacket and socks rolled down for pitch inspection and warm up, then jacket off and socks up.

in games where I know there are changing rooms etc, arrive in shirt and tie (CFA are fond of it) meet and greet with coaches, changed into game shorts, socks (rolled down), training top, jacket and training joggers - and watch #1 so I can check the time ... carry out inspection/warm up - back inside, top, jacket and bottoms off ... underlayer top and match top on, fill the pockets and away we go!

Sunday league when I'm not sure of changing rooms I arrive in my kit, shower proof jacket and socks rolled down for pitch inspection and warm up, then jacket off and socks up.

in games where I know there are changing rooms etc, arrive in shirt and tie (CFA are fond of it) meet and greet with coaches, changed into game shorts, socks (rolled down), training top, jacket and training joggers - and watch #1 so I can check the time ... carry out inspection/warm up - back inside, top, jacket and bottoms off ... underlayer top and match top on, fill the pockets and away we go!

Why do you treat Sunday football differently to any other day? And what do you do on other day's when you are unsure of changing rooms?

I don't treat 'Sunday football' differently, sorry, I meant when I know there isn't changing rooms - just that I've never come across Saturday football with no changing rooms. if I'm unsure then I go as if there isn't changing rooms. Sunday league around my way is very casual, just about get a text telling you where the team is and what colour kit they have - Saturday league (+ Sunday afternoons) tend to be more organised, details emails confirming everything etc.

I'm going to go against the grain I'm afraid guys - shirt always out.

No issue whatsoever for me - I always look smart, full matching kit, boots cleaned every single game, kit immaculate.

I don't referee with my head down, I am positive, confident and authoritative with my body language.

Have tried shirt in but just doesn't feel comfortable.

Played 500+ games with shirt out, is a difficult habit to break.

I'm going to go against the grain I'm afraid guys - shirt always out.

No issue whatsoever for me - I always look smart, full matching kit, boots cleaned every single game, kit immaculate.

I don't referee with my head down, I am positive, confident and authoritative with my body language.

Have tried shirt in but just doesn't feel comfortable.

Played 500+ games with shirt out, is a difficult habit to break.

Hang your head in shame you slovenly Phillistine! :eek:
Shocking, just shocking..... :( You haven't even voted either!! :confused:

:D

I used to be a shirt out player and started out as a shirt out ref.

Just not acceptable at current level. Shame, I prefer the untucked look. Always tucked in now.

Hang your head in shame you slovenly Phillistine! :eek:
Shocking, just shocking..... :( You haven't even voted either!! :confused:

:D

Vote cast.

Seems a bit daft that people should get so hung up about it either way to me though.

Reactions: Kes
Either Regal has never been inspected, is unclear on the word 'immaculate', or is trolling us...

Neither. Just honest.

The covered or uncovered nature of the bottom 2 inches of material of my shirt has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on my ability, effort, knowledge or match control.

Back