A&H

Junior/Youth Player walking away when trying to caution him

If a player has a ridiculously difficult name to write down he's getting handed the notebook and writing it down himself ..! It's a bit like getting lines when you were naughty at school as a kid.

In terms of subs, you just ask for the names of them before the game, still need to do that even if the competition is using rolling subs.

When I only did games with team sheets, or in games now that I get them, I just write the number on the card.

The Referee Store
If a player has a ridiculously difficult name to write down he's getting handed the notebook and writing it down himself ..! It's a bit like getting lines when you were naughty at school as a kid.

In terms of subs, you just ask for the names of them before the game, still need to do that even if the competition is using rolling subs.

When I only did games with team sheets, or in games now that I get them, I just write the number on the card.
I assume you've asked whether the names match the shirt numbers.........I always did after learning the hard way!

I assume you've asked whether the names match the shirt numbers.........I always did after learning the hard way!

Not necessarily, but I'm talking when I was a L3 and it would be very, very unlikely that the team sheets would be wrong. I'd also check it on the club's website if something didn't look right. These days the only games I get with team sheets are WPL, and the same applies really.

Not necessarily, but I'm talking when I was a L3 and it would be very, very unlikely that the team sheets would be wrong. I'd also check it on the club's website if something didn't look right. These days the only games I get with team sheets are WPL, and the same applies really.
Team sheets were relatively new around here, frequently got them without shirt numbers.....Yes pretty useless except for checking spellings post match!

Team sheets were relatively new around here, frequently got them without shirt numbers.....Yes pretty useless except for checking spellings post match!

Yes, team sheets at grass roots level are not always the most reliable. If not the manager then often the captain writing them, and they have better things to be doing so rush them and get it wrong.

At higher levels is usually the secretary so rarely wrong as they do it properly.

Unlikely perhaps but entirely possible. Remember the principle of "Sod's Law."

Yes, but at senior level, and I would include the WPL in that, the club would be held responsible for getting the team sheet wrong. Using a notebook and taking names is very much frowned upon at L3 and above.

Yes, team sheets at grass roots level are not always the most reliable. If not the manager then often the captain writing them, and they have better things to be doing so rush them and get it wrong.

At higher levels is usually the secretary so rarely wrong as they do it properly.
Coming from an area that always uses teamsheets - if the club has the teamsheets wrong that's not my problem. That's the club that'll get in trouble if found out.
Even if I book "Number 3" and there's no actual "Number 3" on the teamsheet, not my problem. Some refs will then approach the manager and ask - some will then just report that fact and let the league follow it up and sanction the manager as appropriate.

Not really in England though. There's a set caution procedure where the referee is expected to isolate the player, advise him is being cautioned, obtain his name and only then show the card. So if a referee reports the wrong name because a team sheet is wrong it will show his CFA that he didn't follow the correct procedure.

Most of you will probably be a bit underwhelmed with this but...I read somewhere other day a tip that really stuck with me about always write down the captain on both teams number! Fair few times I have completley forgotten who the captian is on one or both sides. At my level there isn't always an arm band and even if there is sometimes it can be fairly inconspicuous. (I know not completley on topic but close)

Most of you will probably be a bit underwhelmed with this but...I read somewhere other day a tip that really stuck with me about always write down the captain on both teams number! Fair few times I have completley forgotten who the captian is on one or both sides. At my level there isn't always an arm band and even if there is sometimes it can be fairly inconspicuous. (I know not completley on topic but close)
Yea if there isn't a captain with an armband take there name/number
I do this as a matter of course. Armband or no armband. If I have a teamsheet I wrote it down before I go out. Straight to first name terms instead of skipper/captain. If not I take it from each captain at the toss before pre match chat

Not really in England though. There's a set caution procedure where the referee is expected to isolate the player, advise him is being cautioned, obtain his name and only then show the card. So if a referee reports the wrong name because a team sheet is wrong it will show his CFA that he didn't follow the correct procedure.

Indeed but if you think am waiting to do all that at a SFP red and having a mass brawl then no, card is coming out, hopefully it will prevent opponents wading in and if player 4 is not player 4 as per teamlines then it will show the team have not filled out the teamline correctly. Am dismissing number 4 regardless of who he is....the process begins at team secretary level and filters down, they do their bit right and the rest falls into place...but yes, no doubting the correct procedure is as stated.

In the whole game, fill it out but select ‘no name’- this way you prevent any more people shouting and the club get fined

Nothing better than making a dissenting player walk towards you to admininister his medicine. Making a public show of it too just to reenforce the point that you’re in charge and not him. Or the trot of death to a gobby keeper 80 yards away. Loved it.... some got the message, some were habitual offenders.

Nothing better than making a dissenting player walk towards you to admininister his medicine. Making a public show of it too just to reenforce the point that you’re in charge and not him. Or the trot of death to a gobby keeper 80 yards away. Loved it.... some got the message, some were habitual offenders.

I was always advised, and always would advise, to meet halfway, show respect to player, in an attempt to get respect back in return.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back