A&H

Keeper picks up back pass

• Thread starter Deleted member 3014
  • Start date
The head on floor backpass I saw in a game of mine and I failed to act! I hadn’t been reffing long and it wasn’t mentioned in that detail in the course. I then asked for guidance on the previous forum site and was put right that I’d erred I’m not pulling it up and carded. Never saw it again but was always ready for it. These sorts of sites are invaluable for this sort of weird obscure stuff...

Trust me with my luck I’m expecting the unexpected out there in the middle I have nightmares thinking about what I give if I don’t know the correct re start.

The Referee Store
Trust me with my luck I’m expecting the unexpected out there in the middle I have nightmares thinking about what I give if I don’t know the correct re start.

Don't stress yourself too much. Even during your first game you'll likely know the laws better than all 22 players on the pitch. If you're confident enough in selling a decision, the players will move on.

Don't stress yourself too much. Even during your first game you'll likely know the laws better than all 22 players on the pitch. If you're confident enough in selling a decision, the players will move on.

Thing is 99% of the time a game is just simple stuff like ball in & out, fouls offsides all the general stuff.

It’s just that one off that I worry about, like the picked up back pass I had the other day, I was mortified when it happened i didn’t have a clue what to give & luckily over heard a player say indirect free kick.

You cant beat a mass brawl and a keeper calling you a c*** for the most blatant penalty call in my career. 2 reds and a bag of yellows in the first half of my very first OA game... I thought WTF have I done to deserve this!!! It was easy after all that !!! 500 games later and they seemed a breeze at the end!!

You cant beat a mass brawl and a keeper calling you a c*** for the most blatant penalty call in my career. 2 reds and a bag of yellows in the first half of my very first OA game... I thought WTF have I done to deserve this!!! It was easy after all that !!! 500 games later and they seemed a breeze at the end!!

Sorry but the vision of a keeper calling u a c*nt just made me chuckle that is hilarious.

I’d struggle not to laugh if that happened to me.

Sorry but the vision of a keeper calling u a c*nt just made me chuckle that is hilarious.

I’d struggle not to laugh if that happened to me.
I bumped into a lad in Meadowhall the other week who played in that game, It was his first game for that away team and was flabbergasted that what he thought to be lovely blokes from the pub turned into plebs come the weekend. He remembered the game vividly and had no issue with either decision and was more miffed in playing all the second half with 9 men!!! Been called far worse than that though over the years, words never upset me, attempted violence on me did!!!

So striking to the face body etc is violent conduct & anything else that is red card territory like you’ve mentioned is serious foul play.

So the careless wreckless & excessive force is just the three category’s that you have to decide which the offence falls into depending on how bad it is.

So tripping sum1 from behind and getting your second yellow of the game wouldn’t be serious foul play it would be what?

Or even as a first offence that you give a yellow for, clipping sum1’s heels stoping an attack, what would that fall under? Just straight forward tripping?
It's not particularly intuitive, because I've always felt that if we're expected to use C/R/EF to decide what card to give, it would make sense for the caution codes to reflect that. I really think the caution code system could use a serious rework to make this kind of thing more explicit, as well as to make it so that we don't put 99% of cautions down under 2 of the 7 possible codes.

Anyway, back on topic: C/R/EF is a scale for judging the severity of an incident, and therefore if you're using it to judge an incident, anything that meets the criteria for EF will come under SFP as a result. VC is for off-the-ball incidents and stuff that can't be explained away as "a bad challenge". So kicks could easily come under both codes, depending if they took place as part of a tackle, or an off the ball incident.

I agree that a strike would usually be VC. But then if you decide to send someone off for a flailing arm/elbow when challenging for a high ball, you could sometimes be closer to SFP. It all depends if you consider it to be a pre-meditated act of violence, or just a consequence of two players challenging for the ball and one happening to make contact with the opponent in a dangerous/forceful manner as a result.

Any second yellow will come under S7 - which only requires you to report the seperate reasons for the two yellow cards and nothing else. Remember that in the eyes of the law and the authorities we report to, there should be nothing different between a first and a second yellow.... So yes, the incidents you describe would both be reported as C1 (TR) as a reason for the yellow cards. Again, a disconnect between the reality of refereeing and the codes we have to report things under, as there's no such thing as a yellow card for stopping a promising attack as far as the misconduct reporting is concerned. For whatever reason, Wholegame is interested in the type of foul that is comitted (trip/pull/kick etc.) and not the reason you actually chose to show a card there.

>_>

I abandoned a match once because the two teams were just there to assault each other. It ended with a penalty, that got saved. Keeper went up and screamed in the taker's face, then everyone including the staff had a melee. I dished out the red cards and took the ball and buggered off home. One of the players was adamant he was a qualified referee and we could carry on playing, but sod that.

Army lad in attendance was chatting to my dad at the time and agreed that it wasn't even worth playing since they weren't even here to play football.

Brought it up at the society meeting that month. "Oh so and so team? Yeah, they're a bunch of animals!"

Team folded that very same season.

Fun times that one.

Haven’t done the exam yet & the scenarios and wording in text books tend to confuse me, I’d rather here it in general conversation it sinks in more.

Huh?

Excuse my ignorance, but you can officiate officially without having done the exam? Or you're on the club list or something like that?

Huh?

Excuse my ignorance, but you can officiate officially without having done the exam? Or you're on the club list or something like that?

I refereed my first game the day after doing my second day on the course, I’ve refereed 10 games now.

The only thing I couldn’t do to start with was process bookings, but after pestering my local FA on a near daily basis I got the referee facility on my whole game system log in.

I wanted to get out there and ref whilst it was fresh in the mind, and in anycase you need to referee 5 games as part of your training in order to take the exam.

Having completed the course, you need to referee 5 games (at level 9) before returning to do the exam; the passing of which will promote to level 7

Generally, only Sunday & Youth Leagues accommodate the 5 games, which may be mentored if adult (which will be mentored if under 16)

I bumped into a lad in Meadowhall the other week who played in that game, It was his first game for that away team and was flabbergasted that what he thought to be lovely blokes from the pub turned into plebs come the weekend. He remembered the game vividly and had no issue with either decision and was more miffed in playing all the second half with 9 men!!! Been called far worse than that though over the years, words never upset me, attempted violence on me did!!!

Violence or threats is something I hope doesn’t occour because no question I’ll be fighting, referee kit on or not.

Let’s hope it never happens as I’m just starting to enjoy this game.

Generally, only Sunday & Youth Leagues accommodate the 5 games, which may be mentored if adult (which will be mentored if under 16)

I would have thought Sunday & youth leagues would be your only options anyway, it’s not like your going to phone Mike Riley and see if he can squeeze you in a league two game :D

I would have thought Sunday & youth leagues would be your only options anyway, it’s not like your going to phone Mike Riley and see if he can squeeze you in a league two game :D
Essex FA at least make a big distinction between Saturday afternoon football (which is technically part of the football pyramid that could theoretically lead to a team playing in the EPL) and youth/Sunday football, which don't involve any possibility of progressing past your local league's premier division. So the idea is that you'd do your initial 5 matches on the latter, but will later find out that only the former counts for the 6-5 promotion.

Last edited:
Exxex FA at least make a big distinction between Saturday afternoon football (which is technically part of the football pyramid that could theoretically lead to a team playing in the EPL) and youth/Sunday football, which don't involve any possibility of progressing past your local league's premier division. So the idea is that you'd do your initial 5 matches on the latter, but will later find out that only the former counts for the 6-5 promotion.

Which is slightly disjointed in itself as in berks we have some better Sunday leagues than we do Saturdays, some Sundays have neutral Lino’s & play cup finals at league grounds.

Which is slightly disjointed in itself as in berks we have some better Sunday leagues than we do Saturdays, some Sundays have neutral Lino’s & play cup finals at league grounds.
Oh absolutely, the idea that Saturday football is always better than Sunday is rubbish. But it's all about the pyramid for some reason, and the best Sunday teams will reach a ceiling eventually unless they switch to Saturday afternoons.

Having completed the course, you need to referee 5 games (at level 9) before returning to do the exam; the passing of which will promote to level 7

Fascinating. Over where I'm at, pretty sure you need to do the exam first, then you get your games. Always interesting to see how its done elsewhere. :)

Reactions: one
Going off topic, I’ve been wondering of late what category’s to put certain offences into.

Am I right in thinking
Careless
Reckless
Excessive force

These are like the 10 commandments is that correct, you use these three to distinguish between the punishment?

So my question is? And I ask this because I worry I might have to give the explanation to a player when booking or sending someone off.

Player punches sum1 = striking an opponent?

Two foot two the knee cap = dangerous tackle or wreck less or excessive force? I’m not sure what u would call it & that’s bothers me, I don’t know what you call it.

Like two footed challenges or kicking sum1 or stamping I just don’t know what you call individual offences & I would like to know when I’m dealing with a player.

Is there a list of these anywhere?
Being able to explain the theory and applying them are not the same. Most referees can recognise an offence and apply the laws very well but unable to explain the technical reasons, for example "impeding the progress of an opponent".

Hopefully I can simplify this for you :). You have to categorise an incident up to 4 times :

1. Is it an offence?
you pretty much have to read the whole book for this. Law 12 is the most common section.

2. What is the restart?
Law 8 lists them all. Mostly law 12 for explanation but the entire book again.

3. Is it a card (sanction)?
Careless/reckless/excessive force is a sub category here which you consider for 7 of DFK offences only.
Again mostly law 12 but other parts of the book also explain offences needing sanction.

4. What is the reason for the card?
Law 12 has two lists. One for Yellow cards (6 caution types) and one for red cards (7 send-off types). Every card must fall under one of those categories.
There is also a sub category for Unsporting behaviour (first in the yellow card category ) with a list in law 12 which covers most common ones.

Last edited:
and @Men in Black ...strongly recommend you try some quizzes at areferee.com

Yes they are wordy, and some of them try to trip you up with word games. But most of them go through odd situations and restarts in quite logical ways that help you remember the LotG. There are also places where you get references to encourage you to open and cross reference with the good book.

Back