A&H

Keeper picks up back pass

• Thread starter Deleted member 3014
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3014

Had an incident today guys, ball gets passed back to keeper from the half way line, the defender didn’t put enough on it, keeper comes charging towards ball (still in his box) for some reason he decides to dive on ball with both hands, so now I’m thinking god help me what do I give, I hand on heart didn’t know what to give, luckily as I’m waking over to deal with incident someone said is that a pen & somebody piped up and said no it’s an indirect free kick!! I thought yeah that sounds about right, the keeper then kicked the ball away (again not sure why as there was never gonna be a quick free kick I had loads to sort out) so they’re all screaming for a yellow card for Keeper for kicking ball away.

I end up booking him for picking the back pass up (it felt appropriate) not actually kicking the ball away.

So I’m a little embarrassed that I didn’t know the correct decision to give & I’m a little ashamed if the incident didn’t call for a booking.

Can ayone in simple terms put me out of my misery please.

The Referee Store
This is a very basic decision. The keeper handled a ball in the penalty area that was deliberately kicked to him. The restart is an IDFK. This should not be a caution for handling a back pass. Based on your description, a caution for delaying the restart of play would have been justified.

The goalkeeper can NEVER give up a penalty kick for a handling offense. However, they can give up a direct free kick if they handle the ball OUTSIDE of the penalty area.

Covered by Law 12, it cannot be a caution for the keeper for the handling offence. Relevant section of text is below ...

Inside their penalty area, the goalkeeper cannot be guilty of a handling offence incurring a direct free kick or any related sanction but can be guilty of handling offences that incur an indirect free kick

Based on the above then, I’m not gonna put his yellow through.

Him kicking the ball away is not what I booked him for, he wasn’t delaying the restart as there was a million and one things to sort out before the free kick.

I actually told him I’m booking you for the back pass.

I can’t believe it’s not a Caution for handling a back pass it’s blatant wrong doing in my book.

Him kicking the ball away is not what I booked him for, he wasn’t delaying the restart as there was a million and one things to sort out before the free kick.

I can’t believe it’s not a Caution for handling a back pass it’s blatant wrong doing in my book.

Don't do that, as if the club then chase up that they haven't had the paperwork you'll be in hot water and potentially facing suspension.

If the card gets shown and you then restart play it must be submitted. So, you need to either submit it as delaying the restart, or submit it as USB and contact the CFA discipline department to say that you have since realised that the caution was incorrect in law and ask them not to process it.

I was thinking yellow

Can't be a card at all, the laws are crystal clear on that. Even if it was a mishit back pass flying into the top corner and the keeper produces a wonder save he still can't be cautioned, it can only be an IDFK and nothing else.

Can't be a card at all, the laws are crystal clear on that. Even if it was a mishit back pass flying into the top corner and the keeper produces a wonder save he still can't be cautioned, it can only be an IDFK and nothing else.
Okey dokey

So I'm also fairly new to the game, 12 months down the line. Recently had a defender bring the ball under control with a single deft touch, only for the keeper to race in and pick it up. I gave it as as IDFK, but struggled to instantly find the words to explain why this was the call when challenged by players. In the absence of a 'pass back', i later said the act circumvented the rule

You will have to submit it... at the very least first thing tuesday morning ring the discipline department to tell them and they will advise on the course of action.

To get hold of them ring your county fa and ask for the discipline department.

You will have to submit it... at the very least first thing tuesday morning ring the discipline department to tell them and they will advise on the course of action.

To get hold of them ring your county fa and ask for the discipline department.

I still can’t believe picking up a back pass isn’t a cautionable offence.

Just put it through as C4 and move on to the next game. You don’t owe the keeper anything and getting the card rescinded because you didn’t know what you were doing doesn’t do anyone any favours.

You will look incompetent to the CFA, and the keeper will think he got away with one.

I’m not putting anything through It was my mistake I’m not going down the route of making a thing of it with the FA, although I fully understand and respect people’s advice on here so please don’t think I’m being a tw*t, If anything ever came of me not putting it through which I doubt it will the keeper & the club are hardly gonna chase the FA for there fine, then I’ll just play dumb as a new referee & say it was an error booking him on my part.

I’m not putting anything through It was my mistake I’m not going down the route of making a thing of it with the FA, although I fully understand and respect people’s advice on here so please don’t think I’m being a tw*t, If anything ever came of me not putting it through which I doubt it will the keeper & the club are hardly gonna chase the FA for there fine, then I’ll just play dumb as a new referee & say it was an error booking him on my part.

I will say it, if you dont put it through, you are exactly the kind of referee who I ,and any experienced respectable official despises, if identity was known, I would honestly report you to whoever for not submitting a caution that you have administered. And thats far worse than submitting it in the first place

Dont be that guy.

Whether it was your mistake or not it still needs to be submitted. Not sure publicising it on here that you’re not going to either isn’t the best idea as county fa’s do read this forum.

I will say it, if you dont put it through, you are exactly the kind of referee who I ,and any experienced respectable official despises, if identity was known, I would honestly report you to whoever for not submitting a caution that you have administered. And thats far worse than submitting it in the first place

Dont be that guy.

Your kidding me right?

What do u think I have to gain by putting or not putting a caution through?

I’ve put every caution through so far I even spent a month chasing the fa because I didn’t have the facility on my whole game system as I’m still in training.

If I hadn’t of chased hard every week none of my cautions would be going through as I didn’t have the ability online, I went out of my way time & time again to get me on the whole game system as I have pride in my job on a Sunday morning and wanted to do the job properly by putting cards through.

I’m 9 games into refereeing & ive come on here to ask an honest question & your on about reporting me.

Prob best I end my response to you now or I’ll be banned from this forum!

I’ll avoid you like the f*cking plague in the future!

You caution someone, you report it

Thats not only amazing advice, its common sense

Or you can go picking and choosing what admin duties you will carry out

Some things are best said in black and white

Back