A&H

Junior/Youth keeper handball / crying

Status
Not open for further replies.
At U12s, my approach is to speak to the players. For the GK handball outside the area, probably give a DFK & explain it to GK; refrain from showing cards.

The Referee Store
At U12s, my approach is to speak to the players. For the GK handball outside the area, probably give a DFK & explain it to GK; refrain from showing cards.
I cannot stress enough that this is not the correct approach.

If you are appointed to referee a match, regardless of the age of the players, you have a responsibily to enforce the laws of the game, and that includes issuing the appropriate sanctions where required. There are very few ocassions where cards will be required for challenges at a younger age as the vast majority of challenges (at least in my experience) tend to be careless rather than reckless, and you'll very rarely find a challenge that meets the threshold for excessive force, but you absolutely must issue the required sanction for things like DOGSO and OFFINABUS.

By saying that you "refrain from showing cards" at U12, you are doing a disservice to the referee who gets abuse for issuing a card the next week because "last week's ref" didn't give it and you are teaching the players that they can basically do whatever they want and get away with it.

By saying that you "refrain from showing cards" at U12, you are doing a disservice to the referee who gets abuse for issuing a card the next week because "last week's ref" didn't give it and you are teaching the players that they can basically do whatever they want and get away with it.
I think that also where a caution can be sold for a SPA rather than a DOGSO it should be given, particularly because of the skill level at U12s and below. Not saying that if there is the most obvious DOGSO it should be downgraded but just a slight bit of common sense in some circumstances.

I think you’ve done the right thing……my only piece of advice would to report the coach as this is a safeguarding issue if the manager felt he could talk like this in front of children. This is my day job and it’s a concern where the kids pick up on these things.
This season I sent a 12yr to the sin bin because of his continual behaviour ….. the managers of that team had a fit…… but they were also quick to moan that they didn’t get the decisions…..yet won 11-0.
It’s this type of behaviour from managers that I choose ideally to officiate adult games.

I think that also where a caution can be sold for a SPA rather than a DOGSO it should be given, particularly because of the skill level at U12s and below. Not saying that if there is the most obvious DOGSO it should be downgraded but just a slight bit of common sense in some circumstances.
I agree and in that scenario you’re still enforcing the laws of the game. The skill level at U12 versus, say U17, dictates that the bar for what constitutes an OGSO will be much higher, so you’re much more likely to end up with an SPA caution than a DOGSO dismissal.

The original thread is about u12 age group as I understand it. That was the age at which my response was aimed. Not sure why you quote U7, as I didn't and I gave a generalised opinion.

To answer your question - if I felt the circumstances warranted a card it would be issued. At any age, the decision to issue a card (red or yellow) for any offence is a subjective issue. The issue is the offence / infringement, not the offenders age.
If you believe the type of cynical infringement amounting to SPA should go unpunished, then as referee that is your decision.
Too many spectators / managers use age as an excuse in my opinion.. Discipline in the game I consider to be part of the education of young players.

You're there to referee the game, you are not there to educate players. That is the job of thr coaches. At u7 kids have no idea what a promising attack is and the game is a friendly. There is no need for a referee at that age & I'd argue that having one just formalises the game, when really what the game needs is an informal environment so kids can just have fun.

Couldn't disagree more. It's all about education at the younger ages. Coaches, more often than not, do not do this, nor do they care. Often, they do not know the Laws themselves and haven't bothered to read up on them, so the ref's role. in these situations, is to calmly and clearly fill that void - this will sometimes involve instructing coaches as well as players.

You have made yourself look rather foolish with this reply Ben. You propose that under 7's football should be a free-for-all. Oh yes, let us just allow the children to go around belting the living daylight out of each other in the name of fun. Nonsense!

Should you use cards for U12's and below - Yes, but depends on the offence.

The players have idols in the EPL, so do understand about Red and Yellow cards. We should not refuse to use them just because they are "little children". They want to play like their hero's and be treated as proper footballers - learning discipline is as important as learning to head a ball!

So, VC or SFP - yes send them off. For dissent and shirts over their heads when scoring - yes caution them.
DOGSO - more difficult. In OA matches, any contact which create an offence where a DOGSO can be applied can result in dismissal. Whereas at the younger age group, you should be looking at the level of intent. In the opening post, he says it was never a DOGSO, so a yellow would depend on the intent of the goalkeeper to stop the ball.

You have made yourself look rather foolish with this reply Ben. You propose that under 7's football should be a free-for-all. Oh yes, let us just allow the children to go around belting the living daylight out of each other in the name of fun. Nonsense!
It's probably the other way unfortunately, for you.

Firstly, nowhere does it say, or even suggest, to "allow children to go around belting the living daylight put of each other". You made that part up yourself.

There is really no reason why a few handfuls of u7s cant play a game of football fairly under the watch of responsible adults. Having an appointed ref, as Ben said is more of a formalisation. Having seen my nephews u7s in the past there's not much reffing needed to be done.

Not at all Chris. There is absolutely no need for a qualified referee to be appointed to u7s football. There's a huge shortage of referees in the UK and those that are available need to be assigned games at the older levels where more issues arise.

It's probably the other way unfortunately, for you.

Firstly, nowhere does it say, or even suggest, to "allow children to go around belting the living daylight put of each other". You made that part up yourself.

There is really no reason why a few handfuls of u7s cant play a game of football fairly under the watch of responsible adults. Having an appointed ref, as Ben said is more of a formalisation. Having seen my nephews u7s in the past there's not much reffing needed to be done.

The use of some simple grammar wouldn't go amiss, James.

At what age do you propose a referee would be appropriate in youth football - U9, U11, U13? I would love to hear your thoughts on this. Why exactly do you deem the chosen age group as an appropriate juncture to introduce referees? Furthermore, why the ages below this group did not warrant an official?

Last edited:
Not at all Chris. There is absolutely no need for a qualified referee to be appointed to u7s football. There's a huge shortage of referees in the UK and those that are available need to be assigned games at the older levels where more issues arise.

Thank you for providing a measured response, Ben. Although I do not necessarily agree with your point, I can understand you may have a different perspective on this topic.

The use of some simple grammar wouldn't go amiss James.

At what age do you propose a referee would be appropriate in youth football - U9, U11, U13? I would love to hear your thoughts on this. Why exactly do you deem the chosen age group as an appropriate juncture to introduce referees? Furthermore, why the ages below this group did not warrant an official?
Seeing as how you wanted to pick up on grammar, you've missed a comma between 'amiss' and 'James.'

Last edited:
Thank you for providing a measured response, Ben. Although I do not necessarily agree with your point, I can understand you may have a different perspective on this topic.
But that raises another point which must be answered. If you disagree with me (obviously no issue with that) then how do you suggest we spread the referee resource to enable u7 matches to have a qualified official?

The use of some simple grammar wouldn't go amiss, James.

Believe the phrase goes something like, "those in glass houses..." ;)

Anyway, I'm not going to pick people up on their grammar as there might be valid reason as to why it falls short of your alleged exacting standards!!

Personally, I think referees should be appointed when the games become competitive. That, for me, is when scores are kept, published, and league tables are collated.

Absolutely no way should we have qualified referees overseeing these sorts of uncompetitive games, when competitive games are going without referees.

A neutral referee ensures the game is delivered fairly, and protects the integrity of the overall competition. Monitoring a few under 7s chasing a ball round, having fun, can be done by any responsible adult

A neutral referee ensures the game is delivered fairly, and protects the integrity of the overall competition. Monitoring a few under 7s chasing a ball round, having fun, can be done by any responsible adult

This ^ ^ ^ All day long!!

At that age, no overly aggressive players, no real cynicism in defensive tackles, no offside. Half of them don't even know how to kick a football properly and are still learning about balance and spatial awareness. What in God's name is a qualified referee going to do out there? Apart from worrying about whether or not they accidentally stand on one the players!! :rolleyes: 😁

This ^ ^ ^ All day long!!

At that age, no overly aggressive players, no real cynicism in defensive tackles, no offside. Half of them don't even know how to kick a football properly and are still learning about balance and spatial awareness. What in God's name is a qualified referee going to do out there? Apart from worrying about whether or not they accidentally stand on one the players!! :rolleyes: 😁
Tie shoelaces 🤣🤣

All day! Drives me mad that pan disability football, played by (usually) physically unaffected players to a decent and competitive standard, has to rely on refs seeing out their retirements walking around taking it about as seriously as an U7s game. Meanwhile games at U7 level have young refs who would be perfect for disability football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back