A&H

Junior/Youth keeper handball / crying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
Did a game today and the away keeper handballs 3 or 4 yards outside his area. Never a DOGSO but worthy of a card. Definitely deliberate to stop another player getting it. His team are losing 1-0.

I waited a second or three to see if any advantage but none.

I ask the keeper his name and told him not to panic it's only a yellow card.

All seems ok but keeper then goes into a crying fit. Manager then shouts "it's your fault ref, booking a kid!" (u12s).

I then stop the game and tell the players to go off. Said manager comes to collect the goalkeeper and i said "i'll give you two minutes while you decide what to do."

The game restarts, with the same keeper and no more issues. Game ends in a draw and no more goals.

I'm walking away after F/T and i heard (in the distance) said manager say "we were never going to win today with that ref!".

He seemed to forget me disallowing the home team's penalty that went in but one of the home team was 3 yards inside the area before the ball was kicked - retaken and not scored. Selective memory i reckon.

Anything anybody wouild have done differently?

I was edging towards retirment as im 60+ now and this type of thing is getting more common i have noticed.

The Referee Store
Did a game today and the away keeper handballs 3 or 4 yards outside his area. Never a DOGSO but worthy of a card. Definitely deliberate to stop another player getting it. His team are losing 1-0.

I waited a second or three to see if any advantage but none.

I ask the keeper his name and told him not to panic it's only a yellow card.

All seems ok but keeper then goes into a crying fit. Manager then shouts "it's your fault ref, booking a kid!" (u12s).

I then stop the game and tell the players to go off. Said manager comes to collect the goalkeeper and i said "i'll give you two minutes while you decide what to do."

The game restarts, with the same keeper and no more issues. Game ends in a draw and no more goals.

I'm walking away after F/T and i heard (in the distance) said manager say "we were never going to win today with that ref!".

He seemed to forget me disallowing the home team's penalty that went in but one of the home team was 3 yards inside the area before the ball was kicked - retaken and not scored. Selective memory i reckon.

Anything anybody wouild have done differently?

I was edging towards retirment as im 60+ now and this type of thing is getting more common i have noticed.
Not sure from that reaction at that age group doesn't imply deliberate to me but these things happen in a split second

Becuase the handball was with the ball in the air and the keeper handled to stop an attacker heading it.
Were there any covering defenders? If you believe a keeper deliberately handled to stop at attacker heading the ball that is sounding somewhat DOGSO to me. But obvious depends on how central, any covering defenders, etc.

Were there any covering defenders? If you believe a keeper deliberately handled to stop at attacker heading the ball that is sounding somewhat DOGSO to me. But obvious depends on how central, any covering defenders, etc.
At least 2 defenders behind him.

Not central probably 2 to 3 yards from left hand goal area.

Yeah, at U12s there's f**k all chance I'm retaking a pen that's scored for encroachment
Interesting. At that age it’s a learning experience. Several yards in, I think it’s worth calling. Especially at that age I am specifically instructing the players outside the PA to remember the whistle is for the kicker and they can’t go in until the ball is kicked, so if it’s blatant, not one is going to be surprised.

Interesting. At that age it’s a learning experience. Several yards in, I think it’s worth calling. Especially at that age I am specifically instructing the players outside the PA to remember the whistle is for the kicker and they can’t go in until the ball is kicked, so if it’s blatant, not one is going to be surprised.
Not a chance

Trying to explain encroachment to an 11 year old whose just scored a penalty, likely feeling great - not sure.

Yeah, at U12s there's f**k all chance I'm retaking a pen that's scored for encroachment
Why? Would you bother with adults?

Before ALL penalties i always shout "do not go in the area before the ball is kicked" and have done so for nearly 30 years.

Why? Would you bother with adults?

Before ALL penalties i always shout "do not go in the area before the ball is kicked" and have done so for nearly 30 years.
No probably not. If the ball goes in I'm not having a retake.

Trying to explain encroachment to an 11 year old whose just scored a penalty, likely feeling great - not sure.
The home manager at full-time said he could see his player was well inside the area and he was fine with it. Especially as i shouted a warning before it was taken.

He said he would also mention it at thier training next week.

Being honest here most of the refs who do these games are under 18. They turn up, get their money and go home - words of the home manager.

On the pitch next to me the youth ref (17/18 i would guess) had his socks round his ankles and parents in all the off-limits areas - like behind the goal. I spoke to him at full-time but i could tell he wasn't interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back