A&H

HM Queen Elizabeth II

The fact conversations like this take need to take place is in itself worrying. Incidents of minute's silence and national anthems being disturbed by a minority of idiots were rare and barely drew any attention not so long ago. These days they seem far too common, possibly highlighted and encouraged by the influence of social media etc. As others have said, there is a time and a place for complaints of perceived injustice, booing, political and disruptive behaviour, however deliberately sabotaging a national anthem or a minutes silence where there vast majority want to respect the moment is neither the time or place.

I have been sat in the middle of such incidents when a few fellow "supporters" around me decided to be disrespectful at the wrong time, it created an uncomfortable toxic atmosphere where said supporters spent 2 hours abusing each other at every opportunity, completely avoidable and unnecessary if said people had shown an ounce of respect and kept their mouth shut for just one minute! :wall: :mad:
Unfortunately, these days there is an ever-growing number of self-entitled idiots who think they have to protest at anything and everything. I get that not everyone is a fan of the royals, I'm a bit meh about them myself, but they don't have to go out an abuse them or hold up signs saying things like "not my king", or disrupt a minutes' silence. At the end of the day they are just a family grieving the loss of a relative, it isn't their fault they are in the public eye, and I have to wonder how those who are protesting and disturbing silences would feel if the same happened to them when they were grieving the loss of a close family member.

The Referee Store
On a side note, genuine true story - I ended a 3 year relationship (and engagement) with an ex due to her disrespectful attitude when she kicked off about me going to a work colleague's funeral as she wanted me to take her out! Here's the kicker - She was already scheduled to be working that day whilst I was at the funeral and I was home before the time she usually finished work anyway!

I genuinely worry what future generations will be like as respect and tolerance appear to be dying traits these days in all walks of life.

Class act from Salzburg supporters tonight. Silent march from Earls Court station to the stadium followed by holding up a black banner in the stadium saying in memory of Queen Elizabeth 2. Minute's silent impeccably observed by both sets of supporters.

Rangers defied a UEFA ban and sang the national anthem whilst holding up cards behind a goal to form the union jack. 👍

Sadly Celtic fans decided to hold up an offensive anti-monachy banner and show support for the Queen's bedroom intruder :eek:

This is why a minute's silence in football stadiums for contentious issues is silly - it's too easy for one or two dissenters to tarnish the moment for the thousands in attendance. A minute's applause would be far more appropriate but then there'd be nothing for the tabloids to write about.
Celtic’s hijacking of the minutes applause today was far more noticeable than any booing for a minutes silence I’ve heard yet

Back