A&H

HM Queen Elizabeth II

The Referee Store
****sake, that's a fortnights worth of fixtures in the bin then.
It's OK
SkySports News is back on the tele. We might be over the worst of it

I'll reserve judgement until the furore has been and gone, but the cynic in me detects there's a lot of 'big brand image washing'

In a nutshell, I have mixed feelings

Likely to lose more games for the Funeral... no? I'm injured FWIW

Last edited:
Hasn’t happened in 70 years! No idea what they did last time!
That’s what gets me. I’m in my mid 40s, and this is the first time in my life I’ve seen a British monarch succession. When Queen Elizabeth was formally coronated, I believe that was one of the first big live events on television. Truly an unprecedented time.

As a mark of respect, I'm going to spend all weekend arranging refunds, moving meetings, not going to anything I had planned and stressing about rearranging travel and accommodation.

Truly what she would have wanted.

Gawd bless ‘er RIP QE2

As a mark of respect, I'm going to spend all weekend arranging refunds, moving meetings, not going to anything I had planned and stressing about rearranging travel and accommodation.

Truly what she would have wanted.

Gawd bless ‘er RIP QE2
I understand your point. Last time I took the kids to an EPL match, it cost me 500 sheets what with travel and hotel etc...
But folk can afford such loss I presume

My kids were looking forward to their first game of the season on Sunday. What does it achieve by disappointing them?

I see cricket and RFU are less fussed about image as they have resisted the urge to call off

Last edited:
I understand your point. Last time I took the kids to an EPL match, it cost me 500 sheets what with travel and hotel etc...
But folk can afford such loss I presume

My kids were looking forward to their first game of the season on Sunday. What does it achieve by disappointing them?

I see cricket and RFU are less fussed about image as they have resisted the urge to call off

Could be worse I guess. Imagine working on the News Channels at the moment. Very tedious commentary and disengenuous efforts to pretend being sombre all day
Reality for the kids I coach, is that they'll be at home on their Xbox's on Sunday morning, instead of observing a minutes silence before KO 🤷‍♀️

Situation probably not helped by the fact Prince William is the president of the FA to be fair!

I think it's all a conspiracy. Newcastle had Wilson, Bruno and Maxi all returning from injury tomorrow

I can see both sides of the argument. There's precedence as all football was cancelled when the previous monarch died. Then you have that the Queen was a patron of the FA and Prince WIlliam is their president, so it could be seen as disrespectful to go ahead.

On the flip side, many, many people will now lose money in a financial climate that they possibly can't afford to lose. You would like to think that the train companies and hotels would refund even if they are non-refundable tickets / bookings, but I fully suspect they won't. And at grass roots levels, I wouldn't be at all surprised if pitch owners and management companies won't refund bookings.

Talk Sport, who seemed to have inside information, were suggesting that next weekend's program would fall as well, certainly at the top level. They are going to be expecting huge crowds in London ahead of the funeral so the Met won't be able to police football matches and will likely have to call in officers from other forces. Details here - "the biggest security operation the country has even seen", no way large football games can happen at the same time. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-62805764

Last edited:
The decision to cancel all football is ridiculous. If it was for logistical reasons (ie police etc) then I'm all for postponement for obvious reasons, but it wasn't.

2 years of covid and kids missing out on football and now their first week of the season is in the bin. Bizzare. The FA say its a mark of respect to call games off. Its much better to mark our respects collectively and not sat at home watching Netflix or in the pub getting hammered. They've got this wrong. It's not the end of the world of course, I'm not in amy way mad about it, it's a difficult decision. But its the wrong one. Cricket & rugby etc have got it right. Of course, there would be the worry of a minority certain clubs fans booing the minutes silence in England & Scotland (as has happened before), maybe thats played its part.

I've seen on social media alot of clubs are having training sessions as football activities are allowed to continue just not matches? It's just the wrong decision but high pressure environments/situations lead to wrong decisions for right reasons.

Doesn't effect me, I'm on holiday in Cornwall. I cant watch the City v Spurs match, but I can drink alot of cloudy cider and watch the cricket?

The decision to cancel all football is ridiculous. If it was for logistical reasons (ie police etc) then I'm all for postponement for obvious reasons, but it wasn't.

2 years of covid and kids missing out on football and now their first week of the season is in the bin. Bizzare. The FA say its a mark of respect to call games off. Its much better to mark our respects collectively and not sat at home watching Netflix or in the pub getting hammered. They've got this wrong. It's not the end of the world of course, I'm not in amy way mad about it, it's a difficult decision. But its the wrong one. Cricket & rugby etc have got it right. Of course, there would be the worry of a minority certain clubs fans booing the minutes silence in England & Scotland (as has happened before), maybe thats played its part.

I've seen on social media alot of clubs are having training sessions as football activities are allowed to continue just not matches? It's just the wrong decision but high pressure environments/situations lead to wrong decisions for right reasons.

Doesn't effect me, I'm on holiday in Cornwall. I cant watch the City v Spurs match, but I can drink alot of cloudy cider and watch the cricket?
Yes, the more I think about it, I'm imagining The National Anthem being embraced all over the country today at 3pm
West Ham fans sang impromptu, but I think an opprtunity for an amazing spectacle has been missed. It could've been a special moment of National Unity at KO today, but Instead the image sensitive FA shat themselves as usual, 'missing a trick' in the process. Football could've done something special today as only football can. Shame we won't see it

Last edited:
Yes, the more I think about it, I'm imagining The National Anthem being embraced all over the country today at 3pm
West Ham fans sang impromptu, but I think an opprtunity for an amazing spectacle has been missed. It could've been a special moment of National Unity at KO today, but Instead the image sensitive FA shat themselves as usual, 'missing a trick' in the process. Football could've done something special today as only football can. Shame we won't see it

Let's be honest, the national anthem or periods of silence prior to kick off with games involving Liverpool, Celtic will be a huge worry. Many journos reporting now that this was a consideration when asking the decision. They arent naming the teams but its pretty clear (and for ballance I'm offering no opinion either way).

Back