A&H

HM Queen Elizabeth II

Let's be honest, the national anthem or periods of silence prior to kick off with games involving Liverpool, Celtic will be a huge worry. Many journos reporting now that this was a consideration when asking the decision. They arent naming the teams but its pretty clear (and for ballance I'm offering no opinion either way).

I don't think this is a consideration for grassroots football.

The Referee Store
Let's be honest, the national anthem or periods of silence prior to kick off with games involving Liverpool, Celtic will be a huge worry. Many journos reporting now that this was a consideration when asking the decision. They arent naming the teams but its pretty clear (and for ballance I'm offering no opinion either way).
We'll find out next week I guess. For the record, I'd be disgusted if any Club's fans let themselves down

We'll find out next week I guess. For the record, I'd be disgusted if any Club's fans let themselves down
"Let themselves down" is an interesting choice of words, I think you'd find quite a few people from Liverpool (City rather than Club) who would argue they've been let down by the establishment enough times already.

I'm not convinced there's no possible acceptable compromise, or for that matter that there's anything wrong with this kind of individual expression. People being arrested for similar over the weekend is a disgrace. And with respect to Liverpool, it takes literally 5 minutes of googling to understand where the sentiment comes from, newspaper columnists who get frothy at the mouth every time this happens only prove themselves uneducated.

Regardless, a) Liverpool are away this coming weekend so will have far fewer fans in the stadium they play in and b) what's that got to do with cancelling football for thousands of kids and grassroots teams? Given the backlash, I think (outside of legitimate London policing concerns), we could and should be back to normal next weekend.

"Let themselves down" is an interesting choice of words, I think you'd find quite a few people from Liverpool (City rather than Club) who would argue they've been let down by the establishment enough times already.

I'm not convinced there's no possible acceptable compromise, or for that matter that there's anything wrong with this kind of individual expression. People being arrested for similar over the weekend is a disgrace. And with respect to Liverpool, it takes literally 5 minutes of googling to understand where the sentiment comes from, newspaper columnists who get frothy at the mouth every time this happens only prove themselves uneducated.

Regardless, a) Liverpool are away this coming weekend so will have far fewer fans in the stadium they play in and b) what's that got to do with cancelling football for thousands of kids and grassroots teams? Given the backlash, I think (outside of legitimate London policing concerns), we could and should be back to normal next weekend.
I imagine that police will be drafted to London from all around the country placing immense pressure on already stretched policing rotas.
Rest days will be cancelled, mandatory overtime will be in operation and I imagine there will not be an appetite from policing establishments to add further pressure policing other events around the country.
London will be absolutely packed, moreso than usual, which presents travel problems, which is already not easy to get around the capital, so wouldn't expect any games in London to be allowed to go ahead, all the way through the football league at least.

I can see anything step 1 and below being allowed to continue this weekend but would not be surprised to see PL and FL put back again.

Agree that grassroots really ought to have been allowed to continue but it was problematic for the FA as it was FA Trophy weekend, and I don't think they wanted their competitions being played. So perhaps they could have allowed anything outside of the NLS to proceed.

I imagine that police will be drafted to London from all around the country placing immense pressure on already stretched policing rotas.
Rest days will be cancelled, mandatory overtime will be in operation and I imagine there will not be an appetite from policing establishments to add further pressure policing other events around the country.
London will be absolutely packed, moreso than usual, which presents travel problems, which is already not easy to get around the capital, so wouldn't expect any games in London to be allowed to go ahead, all the way through the football league at least.

I can see anything step 1 and below being allowed to continue this weekend but would not be surprised to see PL and FL put back again.

Agree that grassroots really ought to have been allowed to continue but it was problematic for the FA as it was FA Trophy weekend, and I don't think they wanted their competitions being played. So perhaps they could have allowed anything outside of the NLS to proceed.
EFL returning to normal schedule from tomorrow.
I'd argue games should have been played this weekend and postponed next of any 🤷

EFL returning to normal schedule from tomorrow.
I'd argue games should have been played this weekend and postponed next of any 🤷
Only 'normal' in the sense that clubs (in London especially) less likely to get SAG approval if police resources are diverted elsewhere.

Having said that QPR have just confirmed that games v Millwall (A) on Weds and Stoke (H) on Saturday ARE going ahead.

Such a shame that so called adults, regardless of political allegence, perceived injustice or royalty/republic stance, can't keep their mouth shut for a few seconds prior to kick off when asked to do so! :wall:🤬

Such a shame that so called adults, regardless of political allegence, perceived injustice or royalty/republic stance, can't keep their mouth shut for a few seconds prior to kick off when asked to do so! :wall:🤬

Surely this is just speculation at the moment, people assuming that certain fans are going to do certain things.

Surely this is just speculation at the moment, people assuming that certain fans are going to do certain things.
Not speculation, fact! Saw the start of Liverpool's Champions League game, the minutes silence was cut short due to boos and chants from some Liverpool fans, something the commentator even mentioned also plenty of videos circulating from LFC fans within the stands recording the disrespect!

Such a shame that so called adults, regardless of political allegiance, perceived injustice or royalty/republic stance, can be persuaded to swallow tabloid nonsense without any independent thought or research.

It was only ever scheduled to be a "moment's silence" rather than a minute, so there's no such thing as "cutting it short". BBC and multiple other sources report it to be well observed and any complaints quickly shushed (which BTW, is exactly what happened at Spurs as well). But no, you'd rather get your opinions fed to you from Twitter...

Such a shame that so called adults, regardless of political allegiance, perceived injustice or royalty/republic stance, can be persuaded to swallow tabloid nonsense without any independent thought or research.

It was only ever scheduled to be a "moment's silence" rather than a minute, so there's no such thing as "cutting it short". BBC and multiple other sources report it to be well observed and any complaints quickly shushed (which BTW, is exactly what happened at Spurs as well). But no, you'd rather get your opinions fed to you from Twitter...
He just said he watched the game, so how is that him getting his opinions from twitter? . Just listened to the the 5 live audio and yes, it was largely well observed, however there quite a few breaches of the silence, which was appearing to crescendo before the referee ended the silence. That's not been fed to me by a tabloid that is my own independent observation following my own research.
Agree it was due to be a "period of silence". Can't think of any other event where only 25 seconds are observed so it's a fairly reasonable conclusion to be made that it was cut short.
Tradition suggests a minute normally but the referee doesn't start his watch or time it so we are left to guess what his instruction was in terms of the length and why that was significantly less than the traditional amount of time observed.

This is why a minute's silence in football stadiums for contentious issues is silly - it's too easy for one or two dissenters to tarnish the moment for the thousands in attendance. A minute's applause would be far more appropriate but then there'd be nothing for the tabloids to write about.

This is why a minute's silence in football stadiums for contentious issues is silly - it's too easy for one or two dissenters to tarnish the moment for the thousands in attendance. A minute's applause would be far more appropriate but then there'd be nothing for the tabloids to write about.
And to be fair, a minutes applause would be more fitting to celebrate the queen's devotion to her service, irrelevant of what you think of her role and position, it cannot be denied that she carries this through until her dying days.

BBC and multiple other sources report it to be well observed and any complaints quickly shushed (which BTW, is exactly what happened at Spurs as well). But no, you'd rather get your opinions fed to you from Twitter...
Don't use Twitter and the videos from Liverpool fans themselves of fans booing, chanting and laughing were pretty clear cut, not "opinions".

Usually agree with you Gareme, but can't here. Its just common decency - "nothing wrong with this kind of expression" ??????

I'm a firm believer in free specch, but lets say the Smiths are holding a funeral for one who has passed, a family of neighbours have never got on with the deceased or the family - so its ok to "express" this at the funeral? Of course its isn't - can't stand the monarchy, the establishment and all it stands for? - fine - there is plenty of chance to express those views, on line, in person, on the radio, in print, without fear of official censure in this country - so why show disrespect during a minute's silence?

Finally, you can't agree with it being OK to show an expression of disapproval, but not OK to express an opinion about that!

Usually agree with you Gareme, but can't here. Its just common decency - "nothing wrong with this kind of expression" ??????

I'm a firm believer in free specch, but lets say the Smiths are holding a funeral for one who has passed, a family of neighbours have never got on with the deceased or the family - so its ok to "express" this at the funeral? Of course its isn't - can't stand the monarchy, the establishment and all it stands for? - fine - there is plenty of chance to express those views, on line, in person, on the radio, in print, without fear of official censure in this country - so why show disrespect during a minute's silence?

Finally, you can't agree with it being OK to show an expression of disapproval, but not OK to express an opinion about that!
Why insist on doing a minutes silence at all? Forced respect isn't respect, it's meaningless pantomime. If someone in my family died and I knew someone else they didn't get on with, the last thing I'd be doing is going up to them and insisting they carry out a public act of deference and respect.

Ditto here. If a few dissenting voices (which as I say, was very similar to what happened at Spurs yet that just seems to be accepted rather than used to demonise a city) is enough to "ruin" the moment, then the decision to insist on having the moment needs to be questioned. Personally, given the context, I'd say broad observance with a few dissenters should be taken as an acceptable outcome. The only issue for me now is people insisting on being outraged when something that was a) predictable and b) actually not that big of an issue has happened.

Anyway. I'm not trying to derail the thread so I'll mute it here and keep my nose out, otherwise we'll end up going round in circles on this when it's not really the place for it.

Why insist on doing a minutes silence at all? Forced respect isn't respect, it's meaningless pantomime. If someone in my family died and I knew someone else they didn't get on with, the last thing I'd be doing is going up to them and insisting they carry out a public act of deference and respect.

Ditto here. If a few dissenting voices (which as I say, was very similar to what happened at Spurs yet that just seems to be accepted rather than used to demonise a city) is enough to "ruin" the moment, then the decision to insist on having the moment needs to be questioned. Personally, given the context, I'd say broad observance with a few dissenters should be taken as an acceptable outcome. The only issue for me now is people insisting on being outraged when something that was a) predictable and b) actually not that big of an issue has happened.

Anyway. I'm not trying to derail the thread so I'll mute it here and keep my nose out, otherwise we'll end up going round in circles on this when it's not really the place for it.
No one forces anyone to do anything. Stay seated, play on your phone for 60 seconds, go to the loo, the bar - come on Graham there are myriad alternatives to booing - whilst showing some common decency.

The fact conversations like this take need to take place is in itself worrying. Incidents of minute's silence and national anthems being disturbed by a minority of idiots were rare and barely drew any attention not so long ago. These days they seem far too common, possibly highlighted and encouraged by the influence of social media etc. As others have said, there is a time and a place for complaints of perceived injustice, booing, political and disruptive behaviour, however deliberately sabotaging a national anthem or a minutes silence where there vast majority want to respect the moment is neither the time or place.

I have been sat in the middle of such incidents when a few fellow "supporters" around me decided to be disrespectful at the wrong time, it created an uncomfortable toxic atmosphere where said supporters spent 2 hours abusing each other at every opportunity, completely avoidable and unnecessary if said people had shown an ounce of respect and kept their mouth shut for just one minute! :wall: :mad:

Back