A&H

Captains

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's right Supermonkey. If you've had the word and nothing happens, you can't know that anything would have happened had you not had the word. Likewise, if you've not had the word and something does happen, you can't know that nothing would've happened had you had the word.

Now, I would also say that having the word often opens you up to more problems than it will guarantee to solve so I'd sooner see you not have the word. If you are going to have that pre-match word, though, make sure you're very careful about what you say.

The Referee Store
This thread is starting to sound like a conversation about Back to the Future :)

I think it was just a general comment and really doesn't need this much analysing :confused:

Lol

I was just breaking out my copy of Stephen Hawkins a history of time... :D

Say very little to them, then they can't use it against you during the game.

And this advice is exactly why the game is behind the times and tutor's need to update their approach.

The right communication is essential to build an on field relationship between you and the players.

Far too many referees just turn up and start blowing and booking without any talking.

And this advice is exactly why the game is behind the times and tutor's need to update their approach.

The right communication is essential to build an on field relationship between you and the players.

Far too many referees just turn up and start blowing and booking without any talking.

From my experience, Brian's right. If you talk to much, you build a rod for your own back, I do try to give a simple explanation for my decisions but you can't get into a full conversation with them

And your problem with that is what?

Why do you need to makes pals with players before you book them?

The on field relationship is a very simple one.....they play to the laws, I'll referee to the laws and we will all get on fine.

I didn't say don't do any talking, I said keep it to a minimum. The players are there to play football not listen to a sermon from a referee about what he is/isn't going to do.

If a referee says something like, if you swear I'll send you off, the first exclamation of frustration at missing an easy shot on goal should mean a red card. Is that how the game is supposed to be?

Yourrereffingjoking, perhaps you should come see me assess or tutor before you start making sweeping generalising statements about all tutor's. As a level 3 tutor who appraises other tutors I can tell you the vast majority are with the times (and in front of them) and that's why we have more referees who are being retained at higher rates.

It all depends but I tend to keep it short and with a bit of authority. Youth football I try and have a chuckle with them, try and make myself approachable during the game. Although when you're about to send them away it's amazing if you say to both skippers who will win they just shrug their shoulders!

i tend to say:

right lads, i had a right skinful last night and have no idea how i drove to the game safely - lets keep challenges to a minimum so i dont have to blow the whistle and no shouting or ill probably hurl - a breif bit of gagging, then some sick (just lumpy bits of kebab from the previous evening) then do the toss, shake hands and quietly start the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back