A&H

Captains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh

Level 4 Referee
What exactly do you say to the captains before the match and does it vary depending on age group etc?

The Referee Store
I agree with Brian - they probably aren't listening anyway and just wanting to get on with game!

Try to greet them using their names when you shake hands

I will then normally say to them that I'm here to:
  • Keep time
  • Chalk up the goals
  • Help you get on with the game
Anything after that is where you will need to back up what you say with actions - eg involving captains during the game for any stepped approach to dissent / persistent fouls, etc.

with my yoof it's generally introductions, a reminder that, as captains, they have no special privileges but that they do have some responsibility for the behaviour of their team-mates, a coin toss and the job's a good 'un

I've changed significantly what I say nowadays. Used to be a long spiel but, as mentioned, they're probably not listening.

Now, it goes like this:

*Handshakes all round*
"Lads, one thing from me and that's all. Talk to us how you'd like us to talk to you, and we'll have no problems."
*Hand coin to home captain*
"Toss and catch please and away call it in the air"
*Look at result of coin toss*
"Your choice of end *picks* and your kick"
"Enjoy lads, see ya"

"Away captain please choose heads or tails."

"Alright tails it is, you've won the toss. Which end would you like to attack in the first half?"

"Great. Home team kicks off. Good luck, boys."

I used to toss the coin myself, but after an embarrassing occasion when I caught it between my fingers I've decided to give it to the captains!

I don't bother trying to catch it unless it's a sludgy pitch, if the ground is dry and relatively firm I'll just let it fall on the floor

I keep it simple and I use it to get them onside early which I find really helps.

"Right lads, I'll be refereeing to the laws of the game, so that means yellows and reds if needed, I'll try and use you to my advantage, you know which of your players are a pain in the arse so try and get through to them before I do. Keep it clean and we all go home happy"

That's generally what it includes but can vary depending who I am refereeing, which has just been youth football at the minute.

I have gone for a new style lately. The Neanderthal man!

I grunt, they grunt, I show a 20 p coin, they gasp like it is the first time they have seen fire. I point at one if them and spin the coin, the chosen one hopefully grunts. I point at the toss winner and he points in a direction to indicate which way they want to play. We all grunt again, game on.

:D

More truth in there than you would imagine.

Ok then. If you said it like that near me you would've list your match control before you even start but I'm glad to see that manners are appreciated somewhere :)

Ok then. If you said it like that near me you would've list your match control before you even start but I'm glad to see that manners are appreciated somewhere :)

i'm all ears, Hull, why would this level 3 ref have lost his match control as far as you're concerned? :rolleyes:

It's nothing to do with the ability of the referee in this case. All I'm saying is that in this lovely place called Hull, if you spoke that nicely the first thing the captains would say to their teams is "god this refs a right posh tw@t" :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back