A&H

caps for ARs ? (Burnley v Manchester city)

how long was you laughing for, before calling the ref over to book him? Showaddywaddy! that's made my day lol

Exactly my thoughts. Think I'd just have to admit he had owned me with that one and shake his hand after . Can just imagine the shout now ...

... "Oi, Showaddywaddy, open your eyes" ...! For those not old enough and wondering what on earth is going on then here is some help ...

images

The Referee Store
My two pence is that I personally don't see the problem with an AR wearing a cap to keep the sun out of their eye/rain off their glasses.

And as long as the cap is appropriate and it is allowed under the relevant competition rules then I'd have no problem allowing one of my ARs to wear one.

Personally Ive never felt the need to wear one, or wished that I had either as an AR or a referee.

However during the second half of my match on Sunday I found myself running into a very low sun, and this did affect my vision, I got around this by angling myself so I was slightly side on to the sun when necessary which helped a bit.

hi all i ran the line in a county league game had an assessment done and i wore a cap in 2nd half as sun was so low and i got credit for doing it as it says in law book a cap can be worn in extreme weather as long as its black he did say it was a 1st but well done for reading the law book and using common sense. never got a moan in fact dug out said it was a good idea. i even wear it in the middle if its really sunny as hair is lacking and skin cancer claimed my dad sun cream applied too may i add.

Once being inspected as an AR I was criticised for using my arm to block my face. It looks unprofessional. I've said it a number of times on here that maybe if ref assessors/coaches/managers spent a little less time pretending unimportant things matter and actually stick to helping us with our job we'll all be better off.

Wearing glasses on the field means that if it looks like the sky is even contemplating rain, I had to wear a cap (looked a little silly wearing a cap on an overcast day, but oh well). Also, in another region I'd officiate on up to 5 matches a day. On those days, I'd always wear a cap - any amount of sun I can keep off my case (can still hit 20-25 degrees Celsius here on a regular winter day. higher on occasion) helps a lot with exhaustion and dehydration. I don't think it looks the best but it's unimportant in comparison to the reasons I wear it.

somebody else commented on sunglasses. I used to have prescription lenses, so it would look like I was wearing sunnies on the field. Got a lot of abuse over that fact specifically (but as we know, there are way too many idiots rocking up on a weekend).

Only time I ever deliberately wore sunglasses was middle of summer preseason, on a field with so much glare that I had to squint. Junior preseason....probably wouldn't have for a comp match.

Ever tried running at speed wearing a baseball cap and keeping it on your head? Unnecessary distraction.

I'm sorry Brian, but looking at the camera behind the AR, that big yellow thing in the sky was a much much bigger distraction.

He had to shield his eyes from the sun with his non flag hand, much easier to run in a cap than try to run with one hand trying to shield his eyes from the sun!

Plenty of times. Many games on the line or middle wearing a cap. It's not a distraction.
The sun is far, far more of a distraction.

No reason whatsoever for the cap ban - somebody with more salary than sense apparently decided it's high on the list of importance though.
Some ridiculous notion of 'it looks unprofessional'.

So, presumably getting decisions wrong because you can't see

looks more professional than wearing a cap?

Too many variables? It falls of or it doesn't. Much less of a problem than trying to sprint while being unable to see across the field because of the sun. Can't raise your arm to block the sun while running either (although that's also in the list of things that apparently look unprofessional)

Quite right Capn, and back to my old chestnut, no caps in PL, but the officials in the same colour kit as a GK is fine - nonsense!

it says in law book a cap can be worn in extreme weather as long as its black
Er... that bit in the Laws refers to a) Goalkeeper's caps and b) player's equipment (specifically head covers) and it reads:

Laws of the Game 2016/17 said:
• be black or the same main colour as the shirt (provided that the players of the same team wear the same colour)
• be in keeping with the professional appearance of the player’s equipment

Back