A&H

caps for ARs ? (Burnley v Manchester city)

The Referee Store
How, what? You may need to elaborate more for an explanation to be provided? If you are referring to how a hat falls of your head or how to change direction when you are running so the sun isn't in your eyes, well if you don't know the answer to these, then I am sorry but I can't help you!

How, what? You may need to elaborate more for an explanation to be provided? If you are referring to how a hat falls of your head or how to change direction when you are running so the sun isn't in your eyes, well if you don't know the answer to these, then I am sorry but I can't help you!
The initial point was about ARs. How, as an AR,do you change the direction that you run so that the sun isn't in your eyes?

The initial post was about AR's, but even so, as a referee, how do you change your running to avoid the sun without compromising your position in certain other ways?

Conventional wisdom among observers that have watched me so far is generally that there is a "best" position to be in for most incidents. If a referee has the option of wearing a cap, chooses not to, and then finds himself in poor positions and is unsighted because he's been adjusting his runs for the sun, that would seem to be less optimal than just wearing a cap and refereeing your normal game?

I have been in and around football for the best part of 30 years and the only cap i have ever seen on a football pitch has been on the head of a goalkeeper. Even if i was refereeing on Mercury i would not wear a cap.

The initial post was about AR's, but even so, as a referee, how do you change your running to avoid the sun without compromising your position in certain other ways?

Conventional wisdom among observers that have watched me so far is generally that there is a "best" position to be in for most incidents. If a referee has the option of wearing a cap, chooses not to, and then finds himself in poor positions and is unsighted because he's been adjusting his runs for the sun, that would seem to be less optimal than just wearing a cap and refereeing your normal game?
Conventional wisdom? Turn up wearing a cap with an observer present and send me the report! If you can't vary your run to take account of sun and be in an optimal position I would suggest you shouldn't be on a football pitch refereeing. 99.9% of the time you will be looking for fouls etc at ground level for goal kicks etc you stand with your back to the sun not facing it similar for penalty corners etc etc etc. Common sense , but you go ahead wear your cap see how long it is before someone tells you to get it off. Plus I can never remember truning to a player and saying sorry I never saw that trip sun was in my eyes! :wall:

Saw one guy wear one..one day like Charlie Jones for his glasses..after the game he said he would never do it again made no difference as generally rain doesn't fall straight down so his glasses got soaked and steamy anyway!

I just can't imagine what all us old hands have been doing all these years and never once thinking let's stick a cap on our heads! Get FIFA on the phone this is an excellent idea for the World Cup in Qatar!! :wow:

The initial point was about ARs. How, as an AR,do you change the direction that you run so that the sun isn't in your eyes?

The conversation has moved on to referees as well, as an AR I wonder how often you are presented with the challenge? I would assume if you are standing in a position and can't see you would advise the referee that you are blinded by the sun so he can take up a better position or maybe that's just me being practical. I have never had an AR complain it's too bright or they can't see or give a wrong decision because the sun was in their eyes, yes the very odd time I have glanced across and the AR has raised his hands to his eyes to shield them, would still rather have this than someone standing in cap!

hold on ... you have never ever had the sun in your eyes whilst on the pitch? cool story! is that because back in 1946 there was too much smog to see the sun? :rolleyes:

I've worn a cap a fair few times ... the rain on my glasses is 80% better than without ... guarantee it.

The conversation has moved on to referees as well, as an AR I wonder how often you are presented with the challenge? I would assume if you are standing in a position and can't see you would advise the referee that you are blinded by the sun so he can take up a better position or maybe that's just me being practical. I have never had an AR complain it's too bright or they can't see or give a wrong decision because the sun was in their eyes, yes the very odd time I have glanced across and the AR has raised his hands to his eyes to shield them, would still rather have this than someone standing in cap!

hello. I am an AR that you now know has had an issue with sun ...

pre-match friendly in July ... beaming sun - 90 minutes of barely seeing the farside of the pitch ...

(you can put this and quote me, in your autobiography ;))

hold on ... you have never ever had the sun in your eyes whilst on the pitch? cool story! is that because back in 1946 there was too much smog to see the sun? :rolleyes:

I've worn a cap a fair few times ... the rain on my glasses is 80% better than without ... guarantee it.
I wouldn't know I wasn't around in 1946....but have been refereeing longer than you have been alive so show some respect! I never said I haven't had the sun in my eyes I said I adjusted my position accordingly and given I have 20-20 vision I don't need additional aids to help me come rain or shine so have no need for caps whatever the weather!

hello. I am an AR that you now know has had an issue with sun ...

pre-match friendly in July ... beaming sun - 90 minutes of barely seeing the farside of the pitch ...

(you can put this and quote me, in your autobiography ;))
Trust me you wouldn't be getting a mention, and if you couldn't see the far side of the pitch then how did you make any decisions or did you just stand there like a chocolate fireguard?

Apologies to any chocolate fireguards I know you can be useful for some things.

my mother always says you earn respect, not demand it ... must be a different time though from 1946, what was Churchill like as a leader? ;):p I JEST... I JEST ...

I highly doubt that you've never been put off by the sunlight though ... have you never sent someone off for VC either? or made any calls you wasn't 100% sold on?

Har dee har har, does mummy still dress you nice ... did mummy not tell you to respect Teachers, Police officers? Nurses? Doctors? Judges? Would you not bow out of respect for the Queen or for a fallen solider..all common themes where respect should be shown and yet you wouldn't because it might be demanded of you! Similar to someone who has been doing a job longer than you have been alive but hey you know it all don't you? Why aren't you in the EPL I am surprised, how many years a referee and what level? 7 is that the lowest grade in England, don't worry I am sure with your attitude you will be promoted to the EPL soon. Must talk to Ian Blanchard and get a few of his mates from the FA down to watch you, how would they recognise you oh right the one wearing the cap!

And no I have never been put off by the sunlight cos I don't stare into it, I am watching the ball and the players and if the ball is in the air I have the sun on my back, but these skills are learnt over time and with experience like respect. Sent plenty off for VC think to complete the set spitting is the only one I haven't ever required a card for but then I have been at this game for a long time. However, I am sure your vast experience and greater intellect will tell me what I have or haven't done in my time. :yawn:

.... and this is why I strongly believe that the whole of football needs a massive refresh ...

sometimes the older generation is what makes the game what it is today - corrupt, old fashioned and out dated ...

and FYI ... no, I wouldnt respect anyone - Queen, teacher etc if they were as rude as you ...

you may be about 104, but you have the manners and conversational skills of a toddler ...

Want to carry on the childish bickering, may i suggest the PM system? That way no one else has to read the nonsense

:yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn: Trust me with your attitude I am sure you will go.........no where fast! Charlie Jones the next president of FIFA you heard it here first....I'm going to change the world mummy...one day I will play with the grown ups and tell them what to do!

Let's start with the youth of today who want everything handed to them on a plate, because they deserve it! Wannabe's who want to be famous for nothing, people who want to create a society where they do what they want and hang the consequences. It used to be kids played on streets kicking balls now its sitting in front of TV playing FIFA 2016, kids used to talk, now they sit texting/snapchatting etc oh what wonderful social skills you young people have!

Let me think of some famous people who are in and around your age and changed the world? Marc Zuckerberg who else, hmmm struggling? Now shall we start with olds for instance Churchill (I use him cos he seems to be the only old politician you know), Mandela, Ghandi, Einstein, Curie etc etc etc see experience is a wonderful thing as is giving and receiving respect but young ones don't need that do they...they already know it all!

You never told me what level you refereed at? Or for how long, I am assuming a vast number of years given your comments you have been involved in the game at such a high level you can make assumptions about corruption and it being out dated?

Can't wait to see the massive refresh you envisage for football and how that works out for you! Maybe, you will get a mention in autobiography Chapter 9 Idiots, I have came across in the game! Now run home to mummy tell her that the big boys are picking on you again, you are starting to bore me! :yawn::yawn:

Excellent! So, back on topic....

Caps for AR's? It definitely seems like a good idea to me. Style over substance is usually used as a negative, but by banning caps, it seems to be the approach the FA have chosen in this instance?

Back