A&H

caps for ARs ? (Burnley v Manchester city)

bloovee

RefChat Addict
3 bookings for City players for dissent after dubious decisions by Mr Marriner while ignoring dangerous late challenges ...

But one of those cards was for Aguero "scoring" after wrongly being given offside (normally leeway allowed for scorers doing what scorers are supposed to do) and the same AR missed the offside before the early Burnley penalty claim. He was obviously struggling to see into the sun (but may just have got the decisions wrong) so wouldn't it be simple to wear a cap?

The Referee Store
Well it's does seem a little foolish. why prehibit ARs doing something that could improve performance ?

I don't think the fear of it falling off should prevent it from being used if the official wants to.

I don't think the fear of it falling off should prevent it from being used if the official wants to.
Natural reaction is to reach for the hat falling off. If it does fall off, it creates unnecessary disruption while it is located and put back on again. If it flies off into the crowd, there's issues with retrieving it. It's bad enough getting the ball back sometimes.

Ever tried running at speed wearing a baseball cap and keeping it on your head? Unnecessary distraction.
Yes, and if the cap's headband is adjusted properly to the size of your head, it doesn't comes off. I actually played softball for a while and I don't think I have ever sprinted faster as an AR (or referee) than I did on occasion when sprinting for first base. My baseball cap never came off once, as far as I can recall.

Yes, and if the cap's headband is adjusted properly to the size of your head, it doesn't comes off. I actually played softball for a while and I don't think I have ever sprinted faster as an AR (or referee) than I did on occasion when sprinting for first base. My baseball cap never came off once, as far as I can recall.

ditto me and cricket...it's not as big an issue as i think you believe it is brian!

Different type of running technique required for both and being able to take off and adjust your cap every few mins rather than running, walking crabbing for 45 puts a different stress on it. Brian is right too many variables could go wrong with it.

i wear a cap often in the middle or on the line (always ask ref's permission) and I've never had an issue with it falling off?

i wear a cap often in the middle or on the line (always ask ref's permission) and I've never had an issue with it falling off?
Maybe, you don't run fast enough? Have never seen one being worn on the line and certainly wouldn't let someone wear one if they asked? Maybe I am old school?

Shades then?

I used to wear my reactolite glasses till some poor bloke got booked by the ref for calling me Showaddywaddy. I'd still wear them if I knew I'd be facing a low sun.

If you have to use a hand to shade your eyes I'd say that judging offsides is far harder.

Last edited:
Different type of running technique required for both and being able to take off and adjust your cap every few mins rather than running, walking crabbing for 45 puts a different stress on it. Brian is right too many variables could go wrong with it.
You points make no sense. A softball match can easily last an hour or more and there is no need to take off or adjust the cap if it is adjusted correctly to start with. Neither walking nor crabbing is even remotely likely to make a cap come off, if it won't come off when sprinting flat out.

Please note however that I have not offered any opinion on whether caps should or should not be allowed for match officials, I am merely pointing out that there shold be no concern about a cap coming off if worn correctly.

Ever tried running at speed wearing a baseball cap and keeping it on your head? Unnecessary distraction.
Plenty of times. Many games on the line or middle wearing a cap. It's not a distraction.
The sun is far, far more of a distraction.

No reason whatsoever for the cap ban - somebody with more salary than sense apparently decided it's high on the list of importance though.
Some ridiculous notion of 'it looks unprofessional'.

So, presumably getting decisions wrong because you can't see

looks more professional than wearing a cap?

Too many variables? It falls of or it doesn't. Much less of a problem than trying to sprint while being unable to see across the field because of the sun. Can't raise your arm to block the sun while running either (although that's also in the list of things that apparently look unprofessional)

Shades then?

I used to wear my reactolite glasses till some poor bloke got booked by the ref for calling me Showaddywaddy. I'd still wear them if I knew I'd be facing a low sun.

If you have to use a hand to shade your eyes I'd say that judging offsides is far harder.

how long was you laughing for, before calling the ref over to book him? Showaddywaddy! that's made my day lol

You points make no sense. A softball match can easily last an hour or more and there is no need to take off or adjust the cap if it is adjusted correctly to start with. Neither walking nor crabbing is even remotely likely to make a cap come off, if it won't come off when sprinting flat out.

Please note however that I have not offered any opinion on whether caps should or should not be allowed for match officials, I am merely pointing out that there shold be no concern about a cap coming off if worn correctly.
During a softball match 80% of the time you are standing around, watch a few baseball matches and see how often the fielders throw their hats off, watch a few cricket matches see how often their hats come off! Point is if you are running full tilt into a penalty box watching for contact and your hat flies of it's a distraction to you and players. Yes, there may be days 99% when the hat doesn't move but then the day it does, cup final last minute penalty shout...oops sorry I was distracted cos my hat came off! You can adjust your positioning and running to avoid the sunshine!

Back