A&H

🇺🇾 v 🇵🇹

• Thread starter Deleted member 3014
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m afraid that players don’t always see the difference between what Renaldo did and going further to an actual assault, and your comment basically says he deserved what he got. Yes, he had a poor game but no way did he deserve that reaction. Unfortunately the referees at this level, and in this tournament in particular, manage (ignore) that reaction, so the rest of us suffer for this.

Last season I had a player do exactly what Ronald did, because I correctly penalised him and he disagreed. He got the showers ready for his team!
At the end of the game his captain came up and said “sorry about that, but I don’t think you needed to send him off. Players should be able to moan when the decision’s wrong!” When I asked him if he knew what irony was he looked blankly at me, so I guess he didn’t. The player reacted to one decision - there was nothing in the game before or after that, so he wasn’t reacting to me having a mare!

The thing is, most decisions will have 11 agree with it and 11 disagree. It’s not a great leap from the Portuguese reaction to a team squaring up to a newly qualified Referee who is “having a bad game” and one of them going too far.

You’re newly qualified and will make mistakes. Before making a post condoning that I’d imagine yourself in the same position because the teams don’t like how you’re doing!

Good post but the thing your missing slightly is I’m saying yes he brought it on himself, yes he set the bar, yes I can see why ronny kicked off.

But no I wouldn’t except that conduct & no he was wrong to do it.

I’m not condoning Ronaldo’s conduct (I would have sent him off) I’m saying based on the referees performance and attitude I can see why he did it.

The ref brought it on himself 100%

That’s not me saying Ronaldo was right.

The Referee Store
Why are you having an input on something you didn’t see.
[\QUOTE]

I’m not, i suggest you re-read what I said.

I’m commenting on you saying that the referee deserved the reaction he got.

Considering you cried when a spectator said nasty word when you ran the line I assume you also no think you deserved that reaction?

Why are you responding to something that wasn’t in reply to you.[\QUOTE]
If you don’t want other people to respond don’t post on a public forum.

Because I’m a new referee that had some shockers last season does that mean I’m not allowed an opinion?[\QUOTE]
As a new referee who has come on here complaining because someone was mean to you I would expect a bit of humility, and not to say the referee deserved that reaction.

Do you have to be the second coming of Mark Clattenberg to have an opinion?
[\quote]
Of course not, but I’m not commenting on whether the referee had a bad game or not, I’m commenting on the fact that you think he deserved the reaction he got.

Do you have to be a referee to have an opinion?[\quote] no, but if you want to be taken seriously then you should probably at least know what you’re talking about.

I’ve played the game for twenty years & had the boll*x to pick up a whistle myself, i may not be a walking talking lotg robot but I’ll have an opinion all the same thanks!
The fact you kicked a ball about a few times a week for 20 years means absolutely nothing, and picking up a whistle doesn’t require balls, and to pretend that it does is pitiful and self aggrandising.

It takes balls to get abused and keep going back out there, to make he hard decisions etc, but not to pick up the whistle.

We, as referees are not and can not be held accountable for the reactions of players. When you got the throw in direction wrong, did you bring the situation that followed on your self 100%l

Last edited:

Oh your so petty “picking up a whistle takes balls”

No MIB coming back week in week out taking abuse takes balls.

What did you think I meant by picking up a whistle, Jesus.

As for me crying, I reacted badly and could have ended my short stint as an official, I had no authority as a linesman & human instinct kicked in, it’s someting I’m working on.

Anyway going off topic now it’s not about me it’s about the poor Mexican ref last night that has nobody but himself to blame for player reaction!

If you want to continue to pick & poke me & my opionins, then find a suitable section & head it up MIB.

Other than that thanks for your input but I’ll politely let it fly over my head & out the window on this fine July day :flip:

Oh your so petty “picking up a whistle takes balls”

No MIB coming back week in week out taking abuse takes balls.

What did you think I meant by picking up a whistle, Jesus.

As for me crying, I reacted badly and could have ended my short stint as an official, I had no authority as a linesman & human instinct kicked in, it’s someting I’m working on.

Anyway going off topic now it’s not about me it’s about the poor Mexican ref last night that has nobody but himself to blame for player reaction!

If you want to continue to pick & poke me & my opionins, then find a suitable section & head it up MIB.

Other than that thanks for your input but I’ll politely let it fly over my head & out the window on this fine July day :flip:

So you still think that the referee deserved what he got?

So you deserved what you got when you ran the line and gave a throw in the wrong way?

Anyway, you keep telling us you’ve never had any trouble in your games, so where is your abuse coming from, is it because you make most of your stories up?

So you still think that the referee deserved what he got?

So you deserved what you got when you ran the line and gave a throw in the wrong way?

Anyway, you keep telling us you’ve never had any trouble in your games, so where is your abuse coming from, is it because you make most of your stories up?

I’ve given one caution for dissent in 30 games, I’ve stoped & googled hand ball I’ve given offside from a goal kick I’ve probably committed every cardinal sin possible the list goes on..

But the one thing I can do on a pitch is communicate hold my hands up & control a game.

You can Learn laws you can’t teach someone how not to be a James Hunt ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve given one caution for dissent in 30 games, I’ve stoped & googled hand ball I’ve given offside from a goal kick I’ve probably committed every cardinal sin possible the list goes on..

But the one thing I can do on a pitch is communicate hold my hands up & control a game.

You can Learn laws you can’t teach someone how not to be James Hunt ;)

The trick to being a good referee is knowing how to be a ******* without being a ****.

Having good communication is great, but if you don’t know the correct restart of play, or give an incorrect penalty then that isn’t going to be much use.

The trick to being a good referee is knowing how to be a ******* without being a ****.

Having good communication is great, but if you don’t know the correct restart of play, or give an incorrect penalty then that isn’t going to be much use.

Don’t I know it, I’m the one that has lived the horrors I’ve posted by not knowing the laws.

But at the same time laws can be learned, personality & human make up at an adult age is with you for life, you are who you are.

Read every post I’ve made regarding Ronaldos conduct (the incident you haven’t seen) I’ve never once said he was right but I’ve said the ref brought it on himself & I can understand why the player reacted after such a p*ss poor refereeing performance.

Never have i said I agree with Ronaldo’s reaction.

The ref brought it on himself 100%
Sorry old bean, I agree with this statement 0%
There are no ordinary circumstances in which the referee deserves abuse in any form
The referee's performance(s) will determine their competence and the level at which they officiate, but abject decision making never justifies abuse

Sorry old bean, I agree with this statement 0%
There are no ordinary circumstances in which the referee deserves abuse in any form
The referee's performance(s) will determine their competence and the level at which they officiate, but abject decision making never justifies abuse

I didn’t say he deserved it or that it’s right I just said he brought it on himself just for one millisecond stop and think why the player reacted in the way he did.

If you want the answer to the last sentance above then check what colour card he showed Ronaldo.

I didn’t say he deserved it or that it’s right I just said he brought it on himself just for one millisecond stop and think why the player reacted in the way he did.

If you want the answer to the last sentance above then check what colour card he showed Ronaldo.
'Brought it on himself' translates easily to 'deserved'

'Brought it on himself' translates easily to 'deserved'

I guess so but you know what I’m trying to say, no ref should be spoken to like that or deserves it (remember I’m a ref myself) im just saying his performance would make me understand why Ronaldo reacted & the stall the ref set out letting every single cynical infringement go without a card every bit of dissent go unpunished it’s no wonder a player feels he can kick off when a ref showed no authority for 90mins.

You lay a carpet out over yourself guess what footballers are gonna do.

I guess so but you know what I’m trying to say, no ref should be spoken to like that or deserves it (remember I’m a ref myself) im just saying his performance would make me understand why Ronaldo reacted & the stall the ref set out letting every single cynical infringement go without a card every bit of dissent go unpunished it’s no wonder a player feels he can kick off when a ref showed no authority for 90mins.

We all agree that he had a poor game, and football is a passionate game, especially when the teams are both Latin countries. I can also understand players may want to react badly under those circumstances. However, they have a duty to control themselves, especially at a WC in front of a billion people. These players are paid obscene amounts of money to do something most of us pay to do, so they have a responsibility to act like the role models they are.

Your initial post came across as the sort of thing a player would say, and sounded as though you condoned it. I’m glad that’s not the case. No matter how badly the referee performs there is no excuse for this. It has to be this way, because players may not understand why certain decisions were made so may feel the ref had a poor game when he actually didn’t.
On my occasion the player disagreed with a single decision and if he’d asked I’d have explained it. Instead he lost the plot.

I’m sure you realise by now that this is an emotive subject so people take exception to that viewpoint. We all know people who’ve had reactions like this when they’ve literally done nothing wrong, and on too many occasions it’s gone further.

Yes, the referee didn’t help himself with his performance but he still didn’t deserve that.

I’m not condoning it, he had the option of sending him off would we be having this conversation then?

Oh and I forgot to mention i had a little bet on bookings, it may be influencing my opinion on the ref ;)

I’m not condoning it, he had the option of sending him off would we be having this conversation then?

Oh and I forgot to mention i had a little bet on bookings, it may be influencing my opinion on the ref ;)
Frequenting this site is a good influence on you. Lose that player mentality!

Last edited:

What I think you're forgetting is that you're talking to a forum full of people, almost all who will have had a player go off at them after a perfectly solid decision. Maybe the ref in this match thought he'd made an iffy call - or maybe, from his position, it looks like he's made perfectly legitimate calls and the players have gone mad over it. Either way, I don't know why you're surprised to find yourself one of the only people on this forum on the player's side rather than the ref's!

What I think you're forgetting is that you're talking to a forum full of people, almost all who will have had a player go off at them after a perfectly solid decision. Maybe the ref in this match thought he'd made an iffy call - or maybe, from his position, it looks like he's made perfectly legitimate calls and the players have gone mad over it. Either way, I don't know why you're surprised to find yourself one of the only people on this forum on the player's side rather than the ref's!

I’m not surprised Graeme, I’m fully aware it’s a referee’s forum, I’m a referee myself & don’t condone anyone being spoken to like that.

However I’m also aware after refereeing for 4 months last season & playing in the final game of the season as a player that it was a stark reminder of how much raw emotion runs through a player on the pitch, for four months I had know emotional attachment or care in the world for who won or what happened on the pitch, the minute the role reversed and I was now the player I was like a completely different human being the game meant the world to me.

As referee’s we are not exempt from criticism even by our fellow officials, the ref was poor in nearly every aspect of the game the only real surprise is it took until the 90th min for sum1 to lose there sh*t with him.

Does that make Ronaldo right no of course not, can I understand why he did it of course I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back