A&H

Youth to OA

TheLC

Hello everyone,
With only a few months left of the season I’m thinking about taking the step up to OA football as ideally I want to start progressing through the levels, I’ve done 6 months of youth football and usually ask to do U18 games, any advice on making the move? I feel I’ve learnt a lot this year from doing a year at youth football and hopefully will make the transition easier!

The Referee Store
I suggest you watch a couple of games in the leagues which you would consider joining, giving you an idea of footballing skill levels and behaviour norms.
In my area, for example, Saturday football is better behaved than Sunday morning OA football.
If you are likely to be younger than players, they will test you in your first few games, so be ready to control that situation.
If you are a RA member, and/or have mates who referee OA in your area, ask their views about each league.
After a season of OA you will have the opportunity to apply for promotion, with Saturday League matches for observations, Sundays less often so.
Good luck!

Consider taking your first steps into OA as an assistant, either by finding a local league that uses NAR's and asking to start on the line, or even volunteering to do a couple of matches as a CAR for a local grassroots team. It's a good way to get involved with OA football and get used to the atmosphere and physicality without immediately having the pressure of being straight into the middle of everyone's attention.

Back