A&H

Your own VAR…

Andrew.Rainsbury

Rainbow74
Observer/Tutor
Not posted for a while - so Hopefully posted in the right area.

recently middled an EFL academy game (u13’s), recorded with Veo.

I pride myself on giving stonewall pens only…
Awarded one of 2 pens in this match - got sent the link (know the analysis man😉).
Only for the replay to show, not only was it soft, but it threw doubt in my mind on what I saw! Upon reflection - felt the player ran across the defender and accentuated any contact.
my reaction after reviewing this in a VAR like fashion - ie replay pause, rewind, frame by frame and repeat🙄
Decided that the player was lucky and I should of perhaps awarded defensive fk and yellow carded the player for simulation.
Shouldn’t be too hard on myself as county hardly ever appoint AR’s (🤷‍♂️), which I think would have been a talking point with an AR if I had any to talk to.
For balance the other was a stonewall #assault 😂🤣

nb. Pen didn’t affect the outcome.

So my question in a laboured way is - I know we are a strange breed and will “replay” incidents in our head after matches - but does anyone else evaluate their performance where possible (I.e. recorded)? And what did you learn about yourself?

The Referee Store
Absolutely if there’s footage available of an incident then I want to see it.
In my first ever Step 6 middle there was a tasty tackle 15mins in that I gave a yellow for, got hold of the Veo footage a few days later and saw it was a nailed on red card tackle!

Lesson was that I was too square on the the tackle and missed the key element (both feet off the ground and contact with the ankle) my lack of angle prevented me from spotting this and you can’t bet that I haven’t been caught out like that again (at least not that I know of!)

Absolutely if there’s footage available of an incident then I want to see it.
In my first ever Step 6 middle there was a tasty tackle 15mins in that I gave a yellow for, got hold of the Veo footage a few days and later and saw it was a nailed on red card tackle!

Lesson was that I was too square on the the tackle and missed the key element (both feet off the ground and contact with the ankle) my lack of angle prevented me from spotting this and you can’t bet that I haven’t been caught out like that again (at least not that I know of!)
We are really lucky with the highlights we get here from a lot of teams.
Particularly with those you get at Helston, almost like watching match of the day. 😂

I recall a game last season where I gave the most awful pen.. Was convinced at the time but it just wasnt.
Lead to 2 reds, and a manager cautioned... Can't excuse the behaviour but I also couldn't excuse the decision. My body language etc. Was casual and it just didn't look right on replay.

Always good to see back good decisions too but it's the ones we get wrong we learn the most form

Going back about 8-10 years ago now, I was shown an incident of a horrible stamp on a player that was very much blind side for me.
Players asked if I'd seen it would he have gone. I said yes.
But they did say there was absolutely no way I could've seen it real time so no complaints.

We are really lucky with the highlights we get here from a lot of teams.
Particularly with those you get at Helston, almost like watching match of the day. 😂

I recall a game last season where I gave the most awful pen.. Was convinced at the time but it just wasnt.
Lead to 2 reds, and a manager cautioned... Can't excuse the behaviour but I also couldn't excuse the decision. My body language etc. Was casual and it just didn't look right on replay.

Always good to see back good decisions too but it's the ones we get wrong we learn the most form

Is that Helston Athletic in the TSWL Prem? I was on the line earlier this season when they played Bitton in a top of the table clash. Very enjoyable game.

I was sent some footage from an academy u16 game a couple of years ago regarding a poor decision to give a penalty. I agreed with them that it wasn't a pen (no anger, more of a development scenario), just a shame that I was in Tenerife that day. They'd mixed up their bald refs 🤣🤣🤣

Is that Helston Athletic in the TSWL Prem? I was on the line earlier this season when they played Bitton in a top of the table clash. Very enjoyable game.

I was sent some footage from an academy u16 game a couple of years ago regarding a poor decision to give a penalty. I agreed with them that it wasn't a pen (no anger, more of a development scenario), just a shame that I was in Tenerife that day. They'd mixed up their bald refs 🤣🤣🤣
It is. They have a professional media company follow them round to most games. And it's usually up with commentary within a day.

I think this was the game where Bitton refused the media company access!

It's invaluable to see footage of yourself in action. When you have the benefit of hindsight and then get to see something from a different angle, you will often notice things that you can learn.

If a club has a Veo of a game where I'm in the middle, I usually try to find a way to get the video. Sometimes this can be a little tricky if there's contention about a decision or decisions. I also have a former college coach friend who runs a recruiting service. When he's at a game where I'm refereeing, he drops the video into a shared Dropbox folder so I can watch the match. It's always easier for me to get the video from a neutral source.

Not posted for a while - so Hopefully posted in the right area.

recently middled an EFL academy game (u13’s), recorded with Veo.

I pride myself on giving stonewall pens only…
Awarded one of 2 pens in this match - got sent the link (know the analysis man😉).
Only for the replay to show, not only was it soft, but it threw doubt in my mind on what I saw! Upon reflection - felt the player ran across the defender and accentuated any contact.
my reaction after reviewing this in a VAR like fashion - ie replay pause, rewind, frame by frame and repeat🙄
Decided that the player was lucky and I should of perhaps awarded defensive fk and yellow carded the player for simulation.
Shouldn’t be too hard on myself as county hardly ever appoint AR’s (🤷‍♂️), which I think would have been a talking point with an AR if I had any to talk to.
For balance the other was a stonewall #assault 😂🤣

nb. Pen didn’t affect the outcome.

So my question in a laboured way is - I know we are a strange breed and will “replay” incidents in our head after matches - but does anyone else evaluate their performance where possible (I.e. recorded)? And what did you learn about yourself?
How did you get access to the video while refereeing academy games?

Back