A&H

You wait ages for an observation then 2 come along at once

zarathustra

RefChat Addict
im currently going for my level 5.

My promotion season has started off a bit slowly, end of last season I was mainly doing AR appointments due to health reasons (kept me involved and didn’t leave the leagues down officials)

Started off strong this season, but of a wobble a couple of weeks ago but nothing major.

Now the observations start, got a last minute one tomorrow (only got confirmation last night), then I’m not reffing for 2 weekends, then I have my second.

Will be getting my head in the competencies tonight and tomorrow morning, and hope that I don’t need to go to extra time and penalties..

The Referee Store
im currently going for my level 5.

My promotion season has started off a bit slowly, end of last season I was mainly doing AR appointments due to health reasons (kept me involved and didn’t leave the leagues down officials)

Started off strong this season, but of a wobble a couple of weeks ago but nothing major.

Now the observations start, got a last minute one tomorrow (only got confirmation last night), then I’m not reffing for 2 weekends, then I have my second.

Will be getting my head in the competencies tonight and tomorrow morning, and hope that I don’t need to go to extra time and penalties..
Local cups? I've got one for one of my leagues this weekend - make sure you know if the competition rules prescribe extra time or go straight to penalties! I need to do the same tonight as well.

Good luck with the observation.

Local cups? I've got one for one of my leagues this weekend - make sure you know if the competition rules prescribe extra time or go straight to penalties! I need to do the same tonight as well.

Good luck with the observation.

Cheers, it’s the first round of one of the county cups, already checked competition rules and it is extra time and penalties.

It also uses rolling subs, which isn’t used in the league these teams normally play in.

Don't get too hung up on learning the competencies, just referee your normal game. Otherwise you might go through the game thinking 'oh, I haven't done this yet...' and it will wreck your concentration.

If your normal game is good enough, you'll be fine. If it isn't, and you are trying to change things to impress an observer, you'll get found out. It stands out a mile when refs change their game just because an observer is there.

Just relax, get the basics 100% spot on and just referee what is in front of you in line with the LOTG.

I just had two play offs. No pens and remarkably few KMIs. I agree. It's no good expecting to apply all your development points. If the situations don't come up in the game that's that. I have had 4 observed games this season and they have probably been in my top 6 boring games. Very few opportunities to impress at KMIs in retrospect. Becomes more about overall approach, attitude etc.

I'm a bit nervous right now. Waiting on one report that's probably going decide promotion.

I did have an early (and easy) handball on the line RC in last night's play off. It changed a 1-0 lead into a 1-7 thrashing.

Don't get too hung up on learning the competencies, just referee your normal game. Otherwise you might go through the game thinking 'oh, I haven't done this yet...' and it will wreck your concentration.

If your normal game is good enough, you'll be fine. If it isn't, and you are trying to change things to impress an observer, you'll get found out. It stands out a mile when refs change their game just because an observer is there.

Just relax, get the basics 100% spot on and just referee what is in front of you in line with the LOTG.

True, should be a decent game, I just hope the lines are in a better state than they were a couple of weeks ago.

The council seem to have a habit of marking pitches and then cutting the grass.

Half agree with Padders here. Certainly, if your focus is primarily on trying to remember competencies rather than on the game then that's a recipe for disaster. That said, Observers can only mark what they see and therefore if you don't demonstrate something then you can't get the credit. Couple of good examples are things like stopping holding prior to corners being taken and using a captain as part of the stepped approach. Sometimes these opportunities will naturally present themselves during a game, other times it might be marginal whether you need to intervene in this way. On those marginal occasions, opting to demonstrate that 'skill' is better than not bothering ....

Every referee going for promotion, or at a level where they automatically have a chance of promotion, should always know off by heart the competencies that observers are looking for. Not doing so would be akin to going into an exam without being aware of what the type of questions might be and what they might cover.

Well, that's my first 6 - 5 observation out of the way.

The game itself was a niggly junior County Cup affair between the Yellows and Blues.

Came away with 6 cautions, 3 for dissent, and 3 for a combination of foul tackles and holding etc.

Obviously I need to wait to get my written observation, but my observer felt that I was probably just at the standard expected.

The main things he picked up were that I need to work on my fitness a little bit and also on my anticipation of play, as there were a few times when I got caught out by quick breaks etc.

He did say that my decision making was good, and that I need to have more confidence in the decisions I make, as he said about 20 minutes or so into the second half it appeared that the yellow team were getting on top of me with constant moans etc.

There were a few other bits he mentioned, such as not getting drawn into long explanations with players etc

We went through my cautions and although he felt one of them was a bit harsh he was happy with my explanation/reasoning.

He was happy with my two advantages, one for blues which ended up a goal kick (I did go back and warn the player who'd committed the foul), and one for yellows which didn't work out and got pulled back for the free kick.

I also had a first in this game, stopping play and awarding an IDFK to the opposition for dissent.

A yellow attack broke down and the blues went on the counter, as one of the yellow players ran past he said "You're dog **** ref", which as the Yellow team were getting quite chippy anyway I felt needed dealing with at the time, once I'd stopped play a blue player ran past and said "Well you are ****", so he went in the book, he swears he was saying it to the yellow player, but I'm not having it as he was looking at me when he said it.

After the game when I explained the incident to the observer he did question whether it might have been viewed as offensive, but was happy with my explanation of the words that were used and the volume and lack of aggression etc in either of the players voices kept them within dissent, though I agreed that if he'd shouted it etc then it would have been different.

Anyway, overall I am reasonably happy, provided the written report doesn't vary wildly from what was discussed after the game in the debrief. My fitness is already something I had identified as needing improvement, and my anticipation today wasn't the best.

Onwards and upwards, it's a long season so I have plenty of time to hopefully meet the reuired grade, and if not there's always next season.

Still, it sounds as if it's ticked the right boxes!

Hopefully, I have two weeks off now before my next observation, so will get in the gym.

2 weeks isn’t enough to make major improvements, but will help with flexibility and keep me ticking over.

I’ve been quite forgiving so far this season, I’d forgotten how much a yellow or two helps with match control.

wshen i was reading it i was thinking the same as your observer depending what was said it could have been red

wshen i was reading it i was thinking the same as your observer depending what was said it could have been red

True, it was all down to the way he said it.

There was no aggression, he said it quite matter of factly whi;e running past, it was also relatively quietly, so only players within 5-10 yds would have heard him.

If it had been shouted from the otherside of the pitch, or said with more venom then I would have gone red.

Well got the results of the observation through.

I’m pleased, I know the areas I need to work on, and hopefully I’ll get my anticipation up to standard Expected for the end of the month.

It’s strange, it didn’t feel that difficult a match at the time, but reading back through the report I was actually quite busy.

Degree of Difficulty: Challenging

Summary of Misconduct:

Yellow Card/Caution
Home Team: 3
Away Team: 3

Red Card/Send Off
Home Team: 0
Away Team: 0

Dismissal from Tech’ Area
Home Team: 0
Away Team: 0

Summary of Referees Performance:

Application of Law - A strong performance in this area backed up with 6 cautions, all correct in law.

Strengths –You awarded a penalty correctly to MB in the 39th minute as a GG defender tripped an opponent. Other trips were correctly penalising in the 8thminute by GG2, 19th minute by GG9, 50th minute by MB17, in 52nd minute by GG9 &87th minute by MB player in midfield. In the 54th minute you cautioned the MB19 for a deliberate block, potentially stopping a promising move & in the 62nd minute MB9 deliberately pulled back GG4 & was correctly cautioned for Unsporting Behaviour. Pushes were correctly penalised in the 2nd minute by MB5, 10th minute by GG6, 27thminute by MB17, 32nd minute by MB15, as the opponent was driven wide, 37thminute by MB3, 50th minute by GG8 for pushing a defender out of the way, 56thminute by MB19 & 58th minute for a pull back by MB12.You correctly penalised for handball in 14th minute by MB defender & 81st minute against GG15. In 48th minute you were correct to caution the GG12 for a Reckless challenge. Free kicks were managed with defensive wall back 10 yards in the 8th, 10th & 48th minutes. Offside decisions were managed correctly using you assistant to penalise MB2 in 1st & 7thminute, 22nd minute against MB11, 38th minute against a MB forward & 65th minute against GG11. In the 20th minute against GG2 & 53rd minute against MB17 you made offside decisions without the club assistant flagging. All repeat Substitutions managed correctly, as you stayed close to the touchline to monitor players on and off the field.

Development – At attacking free kicks with club assistants, it is better to pace out 10 yards backward ensuring the taker does not move the ball. in the 10th & 27thminute, with your back to the kicker, the ball was moved.

Match Control - You did well at times, but need to adopt a more consistent approach when required.

Strengths –In the 40th minute you correctly cautioned the GG4 for showing dissent following the MB penalty kick award. In the 83rd minute you had to stop play to manage the MB17 & GG14, who started making unsporting comments to both you and each other during open play. You correctly cautioned both players. In the 44thminute after the penalty award the temperature of the game increased, you tried to increase your involvement by giving free kicks against MB18 and GG7 warning players. This helped calm down a potential explosive atmosphere towards the halftime interval. In the 80th minute you picked up and managed a minor ‘off the ball’ confrontation between GG10 & MB18. Pulling in both captains to manage the strong warning of the two players. In the 17th minute you warned MB17 following a foul challenge & 19th minute warned GG9 for complaining about a foul given against him.

In the 24th minute you didn’t react to a shout for handball against MB when there was no obvious offence. & in the 12th minute you delayed decision for a MB throw as not sure who touched it last, no claim, so awarded to defenders, with no reaction from players.

Development - In the middle part of the second half you did seem to get worn down by continual complaining from predominately the GG players. An example of this was in the 60th minute when you correctly gave a corner to MB correctly with limited conviction, you need to be positive even if you have doubts or being pressured, as your decision making was in the main correct. In the 64th minute the MB19 kicked the ball away following an infringement. As the player had already been cautioned you could have shown a second yellow card, but decided to give him a final warning, which did seem a common-sense approach, if not correct in law.

Positioning & Movement – Main focus area. Work on anticipation & get a side on view to challenges

Strengths – You adopted good positions at restarts to get a good view of the next phase of play, at Corners and Goal kicks. In the 39th minute you had a clear view,close to play, to give a penalty to MB for a trip by a GG defender. In the 14th minute you stayed close during a MB break and in the 49th minute you stayed close enough to give a MB corner for ball just out of play. In the 12th minute you followed the ball through to the goal line following a GG goalkeeper save to ensure it did not go out of play. For all Offside decisions you were able to look through play towards your active assistant to either support the assistants flag or make the correct decision without the flag.

Development – Although you kept to a consistent patrol path, at times there was a need to move wider & deeper a little quicker than you did today. As an example, in the 5th minute you could have been nearer to create a side on view to see last touch giving MB a corner rather than a GG goal kick. In the 22nd minute you needed to move back quicker to the dropping area with the ball in the GG goalkeeper’s hands, as every time his clearance was to kick the ball long. You also could have moved to get a closer view of the goal line, with club assistants who may not be as reliable as neutral assistants. An example of this was in the 24th minute where you should have moved toward the MB goal line to give a goal kick. You appear to be too far away to give with confidence, although you gave the correct decision.

In the 2nd & 16th minute you needed to move quicker in anticipation, following a quick break by MB. You need to start running before the ball is kicked, rather than react to the kick. Then create a side on view or at least an angle to see the challenge from the player behind as the ball is in the air.

Fitness – Met the standard required

You were never too far from play and your positioning struggled more due to lack of anticipation, than fitness. You did slow up slightly second half due to a slight calf strain, but in the main was able to keep close to play as expected, without getting in the way of play.

Management – Overall good communication techniques, but try and limit justifying your decisions

Strengths – You used clear unambiguous signals throughout the game using hands, voice and whistle. Good examples were seen in the 1st minute a clear assertive signal for a GG throw in and in the 3rd minute a GG Goal Kick, then throw in. In the 1st, 7th, 20th, 22nd 53rd, & 65th minute you correctly raised your arm up for Indirect Free Kick following Offside decisions; only lowering as the ball was played a second time. In the 18th minute you were correct to support the MB assistant for ball out of play for a throw in.

Development- Following the penalty award, it is better to give a very brief reason, then move away from players that are likely to complain. Don’t try to justify your decision in a prolonged discussion. You were still trying to explain at half time, when it would have been much better to move away from the players involved.

Alertness and Awareness – Good performance in the focused areas.

There were no injury problems in this game, but in 57th minute for a slight injury to a GG defender you managed him, without the trainer being involved. Advantage was applied very well, in the 17th minute following a foul by the MB17 you played a good advantage with GG attacking goal. At the next stoppage you came back to warn the player for the offence. In the 72nd minute follow a trip by MB12 you signalled an advantage, but correctly stopped play when you realised no advantage was gained.In the 4th minute you were correct to overrule the MB Assistant and award a throw to GG. All substitutions were managed tightly and correctly with you close to touchline.

Performance Competencies:

Application of Law

Above Standard Expected

Match Control

Standard Expected

Positioning & Movement

Below Standard Expected

Fitness

Standard Expected

Management

Standard Expected

Alertness & Awareness

Above Standard Expected

Strengths and Developments Demonstrated during the Game:

Strengths

Good recognition of foul tackles and when to penalise offences.

All cautions were correctly given as expected using the correct technique

Very good use of advantage. Warning the player at next stoppage or reverting to a free kick when advantage did not develop.

Development Points

Anticipation of the quick break to maintain a side on view to the challenge wherever possible.

Avoid justifying a critical decision. Better to move away than get caught up in a prolonged discussion

Stay strong & assertive using positive body language, particularly when the game gets niggly and difficult to manage.

Additional Comments:

Remember to add additional time at the end of each half. Although you played 46 minutes in the second half, this should have been extended by at least 3 minutes to allow for the substitutions and ball retrieval.

Performance Indicator – Overall Match Performance:

Standard Expected

Development – At attacking free kicks with club assistants, it is better to pace out 10 yards backward ensuring the taker does not move the ball. in the 10th & 27thminute, with your back to the kicker, the ball was moved.
I find this bit interesting, as we're told precisely the opposite... keep the majority of players in your view. You can still shoulder-check, obviously, but we're told to walk forward, NAR or CAR.

Retrieval of ball. My halfs would some times take an hour if I added that on.! Well done.

Great stuff. Well done. Nice to see such a detailed and attentive review.
Presumably the ball retrieval comment is about something excessive, like getting the ball from a ditch or the keeper having to go to the car park, and not just normal picking up the ball?

How do you feel about the period from 60 mins onwards - was the assessor right that the players wore you down - was it one of those games of attrition?

Yeah, the ball retrieval was when it went in the bushes.

As for the second half, I think so, GG were the home team and were just a bunch of whiners from start to finish. And when my Achilles went I think I lost my focus a bit. Although did pick up again about 10 minutes from the end around when I had my 2 dissent cautions and when I called the captains in.

I’d have to check previous observations, to be sure but I’m fairly confident none of my 7-6 were as detailed.

My observer did say he normally observed level 4 referees, so that might have something to do with it.

I like it, I remember feeling after the match that it had been a bit niggly, but I didn’t think it was especially challenging. But then read back over the observation I was very busy during the game.

Well done @zarathustra

My only comment would be please don’t pace out 9.15m backwards, that’s a horrendous piece of advise that’s about 15-20 years out of date!

I did think that when it was mentioned in the debrief.

I’m also 99% certain that when I did my course it was one of the things that they said never to do.

Think I will just try getting into the habit of checking over my shoulder a couple of times while pacing the wall out.

Back