A&H

Open Age You don't see this often.

Tino Best

RefChat Addict
Level 6 Referee
Reds v Greens greens win a throw in close to the penalty area.Green throws to GK. GK picks up the ball I blow for an IDFK. GK says whats that for? I explained and there was one apologetic GK to his team mates.

The Referee Store
Would you still have given it if it was a pass forward? (I.e. Throw from close to corner flag picked up on penalty spot)

It doesn't matter where the GK picks it up in the penalty area. They are not allowed to handle the ball from a throw in and should be penalised for it.

I had a first yesterday, gk taking a goal kick, aiming for a short one to full back, the ball rolled and rolled and went out of play (after leaving the pen area of course) for a corner kick......I doubt the keeper could do that again if they tried.

So guessing the throw in was a pass back
No, it's simply the fact that a goalkeeper may not touch the ball with the hands when it has been thrown-in by a team mate.

The law on this is clear and straightforward:
An indirect free kick is awarded if a goalkeeper, inside their penalty area [...] touches the ball with the hands after [...] receiving it directly from a throw-in taken by a team-mate

Reds v Greens greens win a throw in close to the penalty area.Green throws to GK. GK picks up the ball I blow for an IDFK. GK says whats that for? I explained and there was one apologetic GK to his team mates.

You are right that you don't see it often. I found myself in the unusual position of having to give it twice in consecutive games towards the end of last season!

Back