A&H

"You can over rule the linesman you know ref"

JoeMaloney5

Level 7 Referee
I hear "You can over rule the linesman you know ref" all the time and I'm just wondering if others here ever hear it and if so any advice on what I should reply with (ie what do you say) if anything?

The Referee Store
I don't think a game has gone by when I haven't heard it and the same is true of when I'm an AR ('you can see that can't you lino' or something to that effect - really I just ignore it. There's nothing useful to be gained by getting involved in that sort of discussion, especially if it's a spectator. If it's a player, something along the lines of a quick 'I'm giving exactly what I'm seeing. Never mind what he does, I'm doing my job.' generally does the trick

I hear "You can over rule the linesman you know ref" all the time and I'm just wondering if others here ever hear it and if so any advice on what I should reply with (ie what do you say) if anything?
Make it clear you back their decision, and if you don't - overrule them!
I usually just say "I agree" or "Yes, well done _______"

@JoeMaloney5 I usually say one of these:
- "He [or she] is in a better position than I am" (Usually when I believe they've made an error)
- "I can't overrule him [or her] unless I can be 100% sure he [or she] is wrong" (When I have no idea whats gone on)
- "There is nothing wrong with that player, [give a brief explanation of why it was offside] *doesn't have to be overly accurate*" (When it's pretty obvious to everyone other than the player concerned that it's offside)
- Completely ignore the player, jog into position [If the player follows you, still complaining then issue a caution for C2] (ONLY USE THIS WHEN THE AR IS 100% CORRECT)
With Neutral AR's you just do 3 or 4, you should never hint or imply that a neutral AR is wrong IMO.

These won't work for everyone, as player reaction varies, give them a whirl though, hopefully they're of some help :)

"You can over rule the linesman you know ref".
"Haven't seen him be wrong yet". Then jog away and if they respond with something they think is witty, pretend you haven't heard it.

A lot in there. Yes you know. Yes you make the last decision. Yes you trust your assistant. Yes he made the right decision. Yes you are sharp and can be witty. And no there is no point having a discussion over it.

I hardly hear that when am in middle, cos I will probably will have done so many times from the start :(

On line, reply varies, usually as above "he is in a better position than me", or, if its a nothing foul (wrong) "not sure I would have given it but he has so we move on" and also if its miles away and benches is just shouting about it for sake of it "I will find out at ht and let you know"

@JoeMaloney5 I usually say one of these:
- "He [or she] is in a better position than I am" (Usually when I believe they've made an error)
- "I can't overrule him [or her] unless I can be 100% sure he [or she] is wrong" (When I have no idea whats gone on)
- "There is nothing wrong with that player, [give a brief explanation of why it was offside] *doesn't have to be overly accurate*" (When it's pretty obvious to everyone other than the player concerned that it's offside)
- Completely ignore the player, jog into position [If the player follows you, still complaining then issue a caution for C2] (ONLY USE THIS WHEN THE AR IS 100% CORRECT)
With Neutral AR's you just do 3 or 4, you should never hint or imply that a neutral AR is wrong IMO.

These won't work for everyone, as player reaction varies, give them a whirl though, hopefully they're of some help :)
I think this is really good advice, my only question is why you would only consider a C2 if you're 100% sure? The AR has made a recommendation and you've made the decision to either accept or overrule that recommendation. If a player continues to argue with that decision, they're dissenting against you just as much as if you'd made that decision without any help.

It's something I particularly struggled with as a new ref, but I think it's important to realise that even if you make a decision based on a 51/49 split of probability, the barrier for dissent doesn't change. Once a decision's been made, it's made, and you shouldn't be accepting an unacceptable level of argument regardless of how confident you are in that initial decision. Think of it this way - if a player responds in a certain way and you don't caution him because you're not confident in the decision, how do you then justify cautioning someone else for the exact same reaction later in the match just because you're 100% on that second decision?

I think this is really good advice, my only question is why you would only consider a C2 if you're 100% sure? The AR has made a recommendation and you've made the decision to either accept or overrule that recommendation. If a player continues to argue with that decision, they're dissenting against you just as much as if you'd made that decision without any help.

It's something I particularly struggled with as a new ref, but I think it's important to realise that even if you make a decision based on a 51/49 split of probability, the barrier for dissent doesn't change. Once a decision's been made, it's made, and you shouldn't be accepting an unacceptable level of argument regardless of how confident you are in that initial decision. Think of it this way - if a player responds in a certain way and you don't caution him because you're not confident in the decision, how do you then justify cautioning someone else for the exact same reaction later in the match just because you're 100% on that second decision?

Depends on the level of the game, if the you have club assistants, I understand the frustration players have. Neutral Assistants, C2 all day.

Back