A&H

Yellow / Red ?

Rob

Level 9 Referee
Attacker through on goal yesterday and goes around the GK who trips him inside the penalty area , clear penalty which I duly awarded. I notice a defender between the goal and the attacker so not an obvious goalscoring opportunity in my eyes as the defender could of intervened at some point which makes my mind up about the colour of card I show. I pulled the GK to one side and showed him the Yellow card to which not even the attacking team commented on but something nagging at me that it should of been Red. The reaction of the attacking team of not one screaming for a Red card made me feel I got it right but we always come off having doubts.

The Referee Store
If you didn't thing an OBVIOUS Goal Scoring Opportunity had been denied then not a red unless it was a bad enough challenge to warrant one !

Yellow sounds about right, though you were fortunate the attacking team were not calling for a red card.

The reaction of the attacking team did surprise me Frank but perhaps they agreed on a Yellow card was about right , credit to them for not making a fuss over it.

If the attacker could have got a shot away, then he has been denied a goal-scoring opportunity by being brought down by the keeper. I usually have keeper off in these circumstances, unless the player/ball are clearly going very wide or out of play.

For example, a player brought down by the penalty spot is different to a player brought down on the corner on the box. In the first example, even if there were two defenders on the line, the keeper would be off.

After-the-fact player reaction is all well and good, and your match control was clearly not undermined, but be aware that this may not be the case next time.

If the attacker could have got a shot away, then he has been denied a goal-scoring opportunity by being brought down by the keeper. I usually have keeper off in these circumstances, unless the player/ball are clearly going very wide or out of play.

For example, a player brought down by the penalty spot is different to a player brought down on the corner on the box. In the first example, even if there were two defenders on the line, the keeper would be off.

After-the-fact player reaction is all well and good, and your match control was clearly not undermined, but be aware that this may not be the case next time.

In that case every single foul is a dogso... As any player in any scenario can get a shot away...

Not really, that's why I clarify in the second paragraph - it depends where the offence takes place. Getting upended on the corner of the box moving wider (so 'away' from goal) is not an obvious opportunity, for example.

The OP has not clarified where the foul took place, and his reasoning for a caution rather than a send off is purely that a defender could have intervened. I just think the issue, like all DOGSO, is not whether something may or may not happen after the tackle, but only whether there is an obvious opportunity to score.

I'm sure he got it right, and well done for making such a call, I'm just saying that based on the explanation given it could have gone very wrong.

A couple of variables here to clear up. Attacker went round the goalkeeper before being tripped. Where and how? Is it a trip from behind after he's past him? Or is the attacker effectively heading out of the area at a very acute angle? The second of these may sway me towards yellow.

Otherwise it ought to have been red. There is only one defending player between the attacker and the goal if he is not fouled. This defender has a serious disadvantage - he cannot use his hands.

Slightly different scenario to illustrate my main point. Attacker beats the offside trap and is one-on-one with the goalkeeper before the second last defender turns and pulls him back. Decision? Red card, even though there is another defender (the goalkeeper) between him and the goal. Why should the situation in the OP be any different?

I suspect this is where your nagging doubt is coming from.

The number of people that think a defender on the line (who CANNOT use his hands) means it's not an OGSO!!
In the OP, swap the keeper and the defnder, if that would have been a red card, the real life occurance should have been too.

Incident occurred slightly to the right centre of the goal, attacker attempts to go round the GK left side but the GK sticks out a trailing leg and trips the attacker, stonewall penalty but a defender has got back and got himself in a position where he can challenge the attacker for the ball and make a decent attempt on preventing a goal . With the defender getting into the position he did I took that into account on my punishment for the GK and produced a Yellow card and like I said the attacking team didn't remonstrate or question my decision and they must take credit for that. I suspect I have seen similar scenarios in the past and I will do so in the future and the colour of the card issued will be different no doubt. For the record the penalty was scored and the attacking team won with more then a bit to spare (0-5).

Looking at the description of the incident it sounds very much like a red, unless the defender is on top of the attacker after he goes round the GK such that he would tackle the attacker straight after he rounded the GK. What you must consider when judging whether it's a DOGSO is a number of factors, such as position, angle of approach, speed of play, control and also distance from goal. For example if the attacker had taken a heavy touch that turns an obvious opportunity to a not so obvious. Many things quickly change things

So, from what I gather it was an OGSO except for the single defender between the goal and the attacker.

I think here's a common misconception on DOGSO, and it sounds like it should have been a red card.

Yes, the defender may have stopped a shot - but unlikely.

Look at it another way: Usually DOGSO is a defender. Makes a bad tackle, but there is still usually the keeper in goal, yes? So if it's DOGSO if it's the keeper in goal, why wouldn't it be DOGSO if it's the keeper committing the foul and another defender in goal?

The good book gives us the following advice:

"Referees should consider the following circumstances when deciding whether to send off a player for denying a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity:
• the distance between the offence and the goal
• the likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball
• the direction of the play
• the location and number of defenders
• the offence which denies an opponent an obvious goalscoring opportunity may be an offence that incurs a direct free kick or an indirect free kick"

For me is sounds like he had control of the ball prior to being fouled, was heading towards goal (albeit slightly to the side), was close to goal with only one defender to beat after the foul. One defender on the line does not remove the obvious goal scoring opportunity. It should be red because it ticks most boxes.

I agree with Futsal TBH , a player on the line has nothing to do with it , by the laws its easy to sell as a red but for the sake of common sense and the fact no one was shouting for it the call was correct

Very easy sit here and condemn but its all a different matter when your in the situation.

@Rob I think we've settled this for you then. There is a consensus as to why you had that nagging feeling and perhaps next time you'd feel more confident going with red.

On the flipside, you said you had no protests, so you sold it well, relying on the underlying principle of "In the opinion of the referee". On that day, in that place you were said referee. It worked for you, so well done. Notice as well nobody has criticised you (so far), and we've all been constructive in our advice to you. We've all been there too so don't go away from this thinking you've f****d it up. I use this term deliberately, because of the strength of feeling it generates. Sometimes you do feel that way, but here it isn't justified.

BTW say hello to Thwaite Hall and the King George V playing fields in Cottingham for me if you pass them!

Thanks Tealeaf. I shared this with the Board as I always find that in return you always get good honest constructive replies and advice , even the odd bit of constructive criticism is welcome . I have only refereed 5 fixtures so I am a pretty inexperienced referee even though playing the game for 30 odd years doesn't prepare you for what awaits as the man in the middle and all eyes are on you. I am sure I will find myself in the same situation again at some point and I will take on board the advice posted on here and which will stand me in good stead for the future.

Back