A&H

Yellow or red card

Jack Price

Hi I'm a goalkeeper and a ref and on Saturday I got sent off for handling the ball outside my area as the ref thought that it was a goal scoring opportunity but the opposing player wasn't at least 10-15 yards away and this was completely on accident as the ball came over the top and bounced up towards my chest And by instinct as a goalkeeper my hands came out and touched the ball not on purpose and I was expecting a yellow but then the ref red cards me which I think is the wrong decision please tell me what you guys think below

The Referee Store
impossible without being there, although interesting perspective if you are being honest and I don't doubt you are, to say it was not on purpose, as we know from being officials, we are charged with the horrible task of deciding if a player has intentionally handled the ball!
So if yours was a hard and fast scientific test case, the ref would instantly be in the wrong for judging your acts as deliberate
that aside, unless the player is Stretch Armstrong, him being 10 yards away from the goal ( I have an image in my head of you just out the box central), then no, its not a CLEAR and OBVIOUS goal scoring opportunity.

was there a chance post match when everyone was showered and changed to get a friendly chat with the ref, not to go charging in and say he got it wrong. but, one ref to another, any chance of a wee explaination?

If your hands moved towards the ball, even if sub-consciously by instinct, that is still intentional handling. A bit like Albrighton for Leicester last night, he hasn't got a clue what his arms did what they did but it was still a correct penalty.

If you have not denied a goal or OGSO i cannot see why it was a red.

As a referee when i send off in that scenario i tell the player why he's been sent off.

If you have not denied a goal or OGSO i cannot see why it was a red.

As a referee when i send off in that scenario i tell the player why he's been sent off.

Agree, my point was as to whether it was intentional or not. Of course the referee then still needs to decide whether SPA or DOGSO applies.

Yeah I was going to chest the ball then accidentally handelled it by instinct of a gk but the opposing player wasn't far enough away for it to be not deemed as a goal scoring opportunity as of it didn't touch my hands I would of Chested it and passed it off also the ref should of toook into consideration my age as I'm not at open age yet so it's all about Learning the game so he should of yellow carded me and gave me a talking too

Last edited:
It’s hard to make a case when we weren’t there but if the ref thought it was a clear and obvious goal scoring opportunity then he would have been right to send you off. It’s down his opinion but if he’s told you that’s what he thought, there’s nothing more he needs to say really

A good referee in this situation will ask himself two seperate questions: 1) did the player intentionally handle the ball and 2) do the criteria for stopping a promising attack/DOGSO apply? The reason I split it up like this is to make the point that once the decision that it is a foul has been made, intention then becomes irrelevant. The ref cannot decide that it was deliberate handball, and then use the fact that it was instinctive to justify lowering it from a red to yellow card if all other DOGSO criteria are met.

Yeah I was going to chest the ball then accidentally handelled it by instinct of a gk but the opposing player wasn't far enough away for it to be not deemed as a goal scoring opportunity as of it didn't touch my hands I would of Chested it and passed it off also the ref should of toook into consideration my age as I'm not at open age yet so it's all about Learning the game so he should of yellow carded me and gave me a talking too

Some refs eh!!! Clear and obvious???

am at work, I know from where I am sitting to a point in the room is 12 yards. If am picturing the scene in the OP correctly then the opposing player is the distance am looking at from the ball.
clear and obvious....... if a Concorde is taking off just behind me and shoves me at full pelt into the ball I guess

if the opposing player is min 10 yards from the ball I cant even imagine how it can be clear and obvious

That 10 yards can be very quickly eaten up though if the keeper has to chest control the ball and then tries to get it under control, I've seen that go badly wrong several times.

That 10 yards can be very quickly eaten up though if the keeper has to chest control the ball and then tries to get it under control, I've seen that go badly wrong several times.

agreed it can. Its min 10 as quoted, possibly 15.
clear obvious? no
could it, yes, indeed

I reffed an ex-pro, 26-27 striker, subject of a million pound bid in his teenage years from a team in Trafford Park, he was lightning, never seen anyone else chew up yards so quickly. The thought process too, he was on another page to everyone else on the pitch including me speed wise, lovely lad as well, never moaned!! 10 yards was eaten up in a fraction!!

Back