A&H

Yellow for a DOGSO

Very good point. Only thing I'd add is that it also depends on the ref's briefing - some (many even) will say that they specifically don't want any input if it's outside your credible area. Personally I agree with you, but if that's what they want it's not helpful assisting to do something different.

A decent ref I was out with recently said if outside credible area give a buzz but keep the flag down - that enables them to make a judgement about something without causing the issue of what can really be seen (and can be seen to be seen!) unless they deem it beneficial. That seems like a pretty sensible approach to me.

No doubts if we throw in comms and buzzers we give the team a chance

bottom line cold light of day tho is, ( and this thankfully is rare ) even as far away AR we are 100% a kmi has been called wrong, regardless of refs instructions, we simply need to give input

had it as ref, lino, and as assessor, particulary as assessor, i had same view as ar and benches at a violent conduct, clear as day off the ball kick
nearside ar caught some of it and flagged, advised ref aaa and fk and yc
tech area ar simply has to offer input. He has seen it, both benches seen it, you now have the credible aspect covered, regardless of " whose area it was"
As said, huge majority of time, it will be left to the other two
certainly not written in stone though.

The Referee Store
A decent ref I was out with recently said if outside credible area give a buzz but keep the flag down - that enables them to make a judgement about something without causing the issue of what can really be seen (and can be seen to be seen!) unless they deem it beneficial. That seems like a pretty sensible approach to me.
That is a great solution in games with buzzer flags. And in games with coms it is even easier. But in games with neither, it is very difficult to get involved from the far end. (And also very frustrating as you may be standing in front of a coach who is upset about the call. I had that recently where the far AR flagged to take away a goal for OS. I was 99% sure he had called OS on a player who did not meet any possible definition of active involvement (which was confirmed at half time--he was several years behind on his understanding), but really nothing plausible to do on a call like that from 60 yards away. )

That is a great solution in games with buzzer flags. And in games with coms it is even easier. But in games with neither, it is very difficult to get involved from the far end. (And also very frustrating as you may be standing in front of a coach who is upset about the call. I had that recently where the far AR flagged to take away a goal for OS. I was 99% sure he had called OS on a player who did not meet any possible definition of active involvement (which was confirmed at half time--he was several years behind on his understanding), but really nothing plausible to do on a call like that from 60 yards away. )

Agree, if you have buzzers you can keep hammering it until the referee knows something is wrong, and even easier with comms. But with neither of those as the furthest away assistant there really isn't anything you can do, and depending on the referee's instructions you might be frozen out even if you are the closest assistant.

Ooooof, that'll go down like a lead balloon I imagine.

Absolutely, about the worst thing you can say to an observer in the debrief as you are openly admitting that you have deliberately misapplied law. If the observer reports it could even be looking at an FA charge for failing to proficiently applying the laws of the game.

Back