A&H

Wycombe vs Burton

206eddy

Anyone see tonights League Two game?

Scene: nasty clash of heads, one from each team down ref stops play immediately. Wycombe player is treated for a long time (about 8/9 minutes approx). Wycombe losing 3-1.

Restart is a drop ball. Looks like the players can't decide who is going to 'give it back' to the opposition keeper (DB is pretty much centre of the field, just outside the centre circle). Wycombe player looks as though he's going to punt it back to the Burton keeper however he drops a shoulder and runs (dribbles) off towards goal with the ball obviously attacking. Ref stops play, pulls it back, cautions the Wycombe player then restarts again with a, properly contested this time, drop ball.

Now, I may be very wrong here but I thought that as a ref you cannot tell players what to do and if the situation as above happens, you have to let it go (and certainly no caution).

Looking forward to the more experienced of you sharing your thoughts, and/or correcting me.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
perhaps the wycombe player said that he would play the ball back....and then clearly didn't

stop play to caution for usb, but restart should be an idfk to burton should it not?

Last edited:
Don't cause yourself too many problems, I like to try a competitive dropped ball whenever possible but I think the Rev was right, do what everyone expects in this case, stop play, caution, restart with another dropped ball. Might be wrong in law but practically right

So you have made it as far as the football league and your going to start doing things wrong in law? :)

That said, even at grass roots, what your saying is "I don't have the balls to referee the game properly and to the laws, i will go for the easy life route of doing what the uneducated expect even if I know it is wrong and next weeks ref be damned, for I am last weeks ref"

There may be a little extrapolation in there.

Hull, serious question, do you make this up yourself or is that what you have been taught by your elders and, supposedly, betters in your county f.a's?

Caution is OK if the ref believed it unsporting (I would assume the player had said he would return ball)

With regards to the restart it should have been IDFK to opposite team IIRC

According to bbc sport 11 mins 41 seconds of added time at the end of the second half

The ref may just have got it wrong, of course, or.........

Play was stopped to caution player for something he said or did before the dropped ball hit the ground, in which case the ref got it spot on

Anyone else think the Wycombe player dived for their penalty also ?

I'm a very happy Brewer today!! To go to top of the league with a new manager and come away with a win is fantastic!! COYB

Back