A&H

Wrong restart :(

micky2001

Quite disappointed in myself tonight. Stopped play to give a red to grey player for OFFINABUS but having considered what he had said and thinking about it, I then deemed a yellow for dissent would be sufficient so gave that. Then I restarted with a dropped ball, however, thinking about it, a IDFK should have been given against his team, right?

The Referee Store
Yeah, it's an IDFK to the opposite team from where the ball was located at the time of the incident. However, what I really think you should think about is how quickly you decided to stop play in order to issue the sending-off/caution. If you had yet to make up your mind when you blew the whistle on whether or not you wanted to give a red card or a yellow card, it might have been too quick to stop play. When issuing a caution for dissent, it is often better advised to carry on with play and issue the caution at a natural stoppage in play. However, if you are going to send the player off, it is best to do so immediately. While you are completely justified in law to stop play to caution a player, you may raise some ire from the players and fans for doing so. Long story short, do you think you stopped play too quickly before you had decided whether or not to caution or send the player off?

I did it a few weeks back, heard a remark from blue player so blew immediately and sent him off. His goalkeeper had the ball in his hands in the penalty area at the time, and as soon as everyone asked what was happening I instinctively said drop ball. Realized my mistake immediately after saying it, but nobody else had a clue so as not to lose credibility I went along with the drop ball. No complaints thankfully. Phew

Yeah, it's an IDFK to the opposite team from where the ball was located at the time of the incident. However, what I really think you should think about is how quickly you decided to stop play in order to issue the sending-off/caution. If you had yet to make up your mind when you blew the whistle on whether or not you wanted to give a red card or a yellow card, it might have been too quick to stop play. When issuing a caution for dissent, it is often better advised to carry on with play and issue the caution at a natural stoppage in play. However, if you are going to send the player off, it is best to do so immediately. While you are completely justified in law to stop play to caution a player, you may raise some ire from the players and fans for doing so. Long story short, do you think you stopped play too quickly before you had decided whether or not to caution or send the player off?

I do think I stopped play too early looking back. I was going to give a red, but in the time it took him to come over to me, I had thought about it and deemed it not in the criteria of OFFINABUS but rather dissent. I could have kept play going, but it actually calmed the game down a bit as it was getting a bit heated, although that wasn't why I blew.

I would disagree there - if you were thinking it was severe enough to red card, what was said was not trivial and if you are going to administer the red card, you stop play. Okay you decided in the end to go with the caution but that is still a " red or caution " decision in your mind rather than "is this a caution?"

Sometimes stopping the game to caution for dissent can be beneficial if teams are getting overly verbal - reminds them of consequences, allows time to cool things down and also shows that your tolerance has been reached. Not to say this should be a regular occurrence, but under certain circumstances it is useful :)

I think the critical element on the timing side is to actually give yourself thinking time before stopping play rather than reacting in an emotive way. Sometimes giving ourselves a second to compose our thoughts will lead us down a different path and allow us to deal with these sorts of situations more effectively.

Isn't the IDFK from where the PLAYER was when he commited the Dissent / OFFINABUS - not where the BALL was ..?

Out of curiosity, what did he say that riled you @micky2001 ?

He said "no f*cking chance, d*ck, go to specsavers"

I think some people may disagree with what I did based on what he said, but, I think where I am here in the west of Scotland, and the area I was refereeing in last night, there is more of a tolerance to OFFINABUS because of the way swearing is used in every day language and no one bats an eye.

I called him over and explained that his language was inappropriate to be used on the FOP and showed yellow as felt it was more dissent and frustration as they were currently losing 5-0. He and his manager came to me and apologised after the game though.

Seen people walked for less, seen more than that ignored :)

My personal favorite was start of this season. Players loses ball, screams out "your f@cking blind ref!" Wait for a break in play and call him over. "I might be ****ing blind, but in not ****ing deaf". Lemon.

I think the critical element on the timing side is to actually give yourself thinking time before stopping play rather than reacting in an emotive way. Sometimes giving ourselves a second to compose our thoughts will lead us down a different path and allow us to deal with these sorts of situations more effectively.

Yup, that's what I'm trying to get at. If you give yourself that extra second or two you might have made a better decision and, who knows, you might even have made the correct restart.

It sounds like Micky did the right thing, in context.
Every town/city has the place where referees don't want to go because it's really rough and if you start dishing out cards for every swear word then you won't have a match after much longer than 10 minutes.

I agree with you @Ryan Owens that in a perfect world that would be a definite red, but in this case it sounds like Micky made the right call and was quite proactive

It sounds like Micky did the right thing, in context.
Every town/city has the place where referees don't want to go because it's really rough and if you start dishing out cards for every swear word then you won't have a match after much longer than 10 minutes.

This is why you need cajones! The laws (of the game) are the laws, apply common sense where needed, but do not become last weeks ref. :D

Where the offence occurred, is where the player was. The only time I can think of when it is where the ball was for an IDFK is when the offence occurred outside of the FOP.

Back