A&H

Wristbands

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Steve Wiggins I have this image in my head of the ref just charging at players with scissors demanding bands are removed and the players frantically trying to rip them off! lol

The Referee Store
If the wrist bands cannot be removed I tell them to use a cotton sweatband to cover it up.

The other week I became very petulant during the match when I noticed a player with a small stud in his ear and on closer inspection a necklace as well after I had specifically asked all of them to remove all jewellery prior to KO. I told him to leave the FOP and could return when I said so. I have no idea why I became so angry. Had the same team the following week and we exchanged glances at that point in my pre match when jewellery was mentioned. Needless to say he had removed all of it this time.

ive always worn a necklace and never taken it off ... but its easy as the ref to tuck it behind the shirt and fully button it up - and when I played a always worn a compression shirt with the high neck so was never an issue

If the wrist bands cannot be removed I tell them to use a cotton sweatband to cover it up.

The other week I became very petulant during the match when I noticed a player with a small stud in his ear and on closer inspection a necklace as well after I had specifically asked all of them to remove all jewellery prior to KO. I told him to leave the FOP and could return when I said so. I have no idea why I became so angry. Had the same team the following week and we exchanged glances at that point in my pre match when jewellery was mentioned. Needless to say he had removed all of it this time.

Since when is enforcing the laws petulant?
You did exactly what you should do every week.
Covering with a cotton sweatband is not sufficient.

My reaction to the transgression was petulant, capricious if you prefer. I was being self-deprecating.

Why is covering it up not sufficient? What about using a bandage/tape?

MWhy is covering it up not sufficient? What about using a bandage/tape?
Because the LOTG specifically forbid it:

P70
Jewellery
All items of jewellery (necklaces, rings, bracelets, earrings, leather bands, rubber bands, etc.) are strictly forbidden and must be removed. Using tape to cover jewellery is not acceptable.
Referees are also prohibited from wearing jewellery (except for a watch or similar device for timing the match).

A sweat band has a function whereas a rubber band does not, at least not one useful in the context of football.
Oh Yes SM ....A Sweatband is a very practical thing to wear during a game ! perfect for hiding wristbands ;)

ive always worn a necklace and never taken it off ... but its easy as the ref to tuck it behind the shirt and fully button it up - and when I played a always worn a compression shirt with the high neck so was never an issue

Why wouldn't you just take it off?

What wristband cannot be removed??

Did you not perform a check before starting the match?

It's one thing to tell them to remove jewellery before KO but you should still perform a check.

Ideal time is when they are lined up prior to the RESPECT handshake.

How about electronic tags?

I know they are normally on the ankle......but would you let a player play with one on?

So what would you do it you're assisting for say a L4 / L3 and asks "all jewlery to be off, inc your necklace please charlie......"

Refuse, or take it off? even with persona reasons there is a limit to a time when you will take it off. As they say, everyone has their price.

Had a player with an small nose stud that "hasn't been out for 5 years as it bleeds non stop so it can't". Team are drawing 0-0 with 5 to go, desparate for their main striker to come on - guess what - I belive it witnessed a miracle!

How about electronic tags?

I know they are normally on the ankle......but would you let a player play with one on?

Have never come across this one and so have never thought about it. Letter of the law, they cannot play - its a bulky bit of plastic around the ankle, potentially dangerous to the wearer. :)

How about electronic tags? I know they are normally on the ankle......but would you let a player play with one on?

That, @Padfoot , is a really good question. What does the LotG state:

• Safety: A player must not use equipment or wear anything that is dangerous to himself or another player (including any kind of jewellery).
  • Basic equipment: (...is defined)
  • Other equipment: A player may use equipment other than the basic equipment provided that its sole purpose is to protect him physically and it poses no danger to him or any other player. All items of clothing or equipment other than the basic equipment must be inspected by the referee and determined not to be dangerous.
Not having seen in real life a tag, I can't judge on its safety (how large it is for example). Might prevent from playing on these grounds, but would have to inspect. However, the guidance note on other equipment about not allowing anything other than basic equipment unless it is to protect the player physically might be the decider. Although, I'm sure it could be argued that an electronic tag is protecting the wearer, as it will prevent them going where they shouldn't be going at a time they shouldn't be there... Gut instinct says no, but would you argue with a player wearing one? :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back