A&H

Wot no added time? City v Rotherham

bloovee

RefChat Addict
Manchester City v Rotherham United - 4 second half goals, 4 subs - David Coote blew at 90 mins. Odd.

The Referee Store
Manchester City v Rotherham United - 4 second half goals, 4 subs - David Coote blew at 90 mins. Odd.

I will bite.

Rotherham are raging and demanding a replay as the comeback was on
City also demanding a replay and a right of passage to the final because winning 7-0 or 8-0 or even 9-0 in a cup tie makes a difference

law 18. Probably the most important law of the lot , very understated....

The only odd thing I read is this your post appears on a referee forum where as per most of your recent efforts, it belongs on BlueMoon dot com or whatever

Marriner did it on Friday night, only playing 1 minute extra even though there should have been loads more. Common sense, the game is over, neither team wants any added time, goal difference doesn't come into it, and the law of sod dictates that if you play stoppage time you'll get a major incident during it, especially if one team is getting frustrated.

I think Paul Warne threw the towel in, he'd had enough and wanted to prevent further torture!! :angel:

Probably just wanted the pain to end.

We (Gillingham) beat Cardiff 1-0 scoring in the 89th minute, we then had to endure a minimum of 8 minutes of added time, which actually turned into more like 12 with subs and time wasting etc.

The chant of "are you Halsey in disguise" was ringing out.

Would it have killed the referee to play a minute? Just seems to be a lot more defensible saying you underestimated it, rather than saying you just couldn't be bothered applying the law at all.

Would it have killed the referee to play a minute? Just seems to be a lot more defensible saying you underestimated it, rather than saying you just couldn't be bothered applying the law at all.

That would be as incorrect in law as to play none. Cant have it both ways
A token one min, a token two min, Neither are the correct allowance for the stoppages in this case. If the correct amount of time was, say, 5 mins, then 5 mins is the required amount
None, one or two, three are all still in the same basket.
Which leads us back to a sensible stance of, games up, bye bye.

I disagree.

You can't possibly say there was none, but you can say 'oh, I thought it was this amount'.

I see nothing sensible in completely ignoring the law when it's very obvious there's stoppage time.

I disagree.

You can't possibly say there was none, but you can say 'oh, I thought it was this amount'.

I see nothing sensible in completely ignoring the law when it's very obvious there's stoppage time.

Your saying to add one min would be ok, but no mins is not
It appears the correct time that should have been added was 5 plus

So whether its none, one or two, you are factually incorrect whatever length you choose.

I be honest, I might have played one yesterday as i agree, i have then played added time. It does not make that more correct than playing none, or two tho, if the minimum amount that should have been played was five

Kids game, sunday pub league, who even knows if we would have got to 90..

Also, who even cares...

Your saying to add one min would be ok, but no mins is not
It appears the correct time that should have been added was 5 plus

So whether its none, one or two, you are factually incorrect whatever length you choose.

I be honest, I might have played one yesterday as i agree, i have then played added time. It does not make that more correct than playing none, or two tho, if the minimum amount that should have been played was five

Kids game, sunday pub league, who even knows if we would have got to 90..
I have had a team losing 14 nil at half time asking can we call it now only 10 player against a young team higher up. Did play the second half and when asked how long ref I replied with the time and then a sneaky plus what I add on with a big smile.

Also, who even cares...

Why does a referee even required in the first place? One reason. To ensure fair play.
stopping yesterday on 90 mins is not unfair
some would say to play 5 extra would have been unfair.

The referee only has to make allowance for time lost. There is nothing in the good book that states that the referee MUST add time on at the end of each half. It always feels as if its an arbitrary number anyway - we could make bets prior to kick off that a first half will have one minute added time, a second half three possibly four. And who says it should be 30 seconds per substitution, as an example...? Will that still be the commonly held view once players are leaving the FOP at the nearest point, and not at the halfway line next to the 4th official, or will referees now have to measure the exact time lost? No, because it is not mandatory.

And who on here has never decided to play zero additional time in the second half of a cup game when one team has the lead to prevent extra time (come on, be truthful!)?

In the situation, right decision made.

Back