A&H

Worthy of extraordinary report?

TSHudson

Level 6 Referee
Just looking for some advice on if I should submit an extraordinary report to what happened in my game today.

Attacking team made a tackle that I felt was fair, but I can perhaps see how the defending team could feel hard done by as it was up to the edge of a fair tackle. Immediately after defending team committed handball and so I gave an attacking free kick. Queue lots of grumbling and moaning. One player made two or three comments and I verbally told him this was his last chance and that was enough, to which he said “this is f***ing b*llocks” So I called him over and sent him to the sin bin for dissent. As he was walking off he continued to complain and again said “this is f***ing b*llocks” so I called him back over, with the intention of giving him one last chance and telling him if he swore again I would send him off. He refused to come over and just said “you’re a f***ing joke.” So I sent him off and he called me a f***ing p*ick.” So far, nothing extraordinary for Sunday football. But then after in the changing room, I heard him come in and could hear him continue to use profanities in describing my performance and decision making. But then he made the comment that has me unsure if I should report it, he said he was so annoyed with my performance he felt like hitting me.

I have no doubt he was probably just acting tough and unlikely he would ever do anything, but even if it is that, any talk of violence to a ref is unacceptable. I did not visibly see him as I was in a different changing room, but I recognised his voice clearly enough.

The Referee Store
Without having had line of sight of him due to there being a wall in the way I can't see how you can report it. Yes, you can say that you recognised his voice but that would never stand up at a hearing.

If you felt threatened, it's maybe an ER depending on whether the charge could stick
If it was 'locker room talk' and nothing more, maybe not
With the dissent thing, the continuing dissent as he left the FOP could have been viewed as one overall instance of dissent. Given some space and time to count to ten, things may not have escalated as they did. Not saying I get it right every time, because i simply don't

Without having had line of sight of him due to there being a wall in the way I can't see how you can report it. Yes, you can say that you recognised his voice but that would never stand up at a hearing.
@TSHudson - while I fully agree with Rusty that you cannot submit an ER, i would be mentioning to the CFA RDO and the league referees officer. While your situation may not be actionable, there may be some other reports which this could support.

With the dissent thing, the continuing dissent as he left the FOP could have been viewed as one overall instance of dissent. Given some space and time to count to ten, things may not have escalated as they did. Not saying I get it right every time, because i simply don't

I don't either get it right either, but in this instance I don't consider this one overall instance. Sounds like the player had fair warning. He's had the caution - which is "do it again and you are off".

I don't either get it right either, but in this instance I don't consider this one overall instance. Sounds like the player had fair warning. He's had the caution - which is "do it again and you are off".
Fair point
YHTBT (you had to be there)
If I'm having a good game, I look to put some distance between me and the dissenter as quickly as possible to allow the player to vent and further nonsense out of earshot
In this case, a dismissal may have been unavoidable

Fair point
YHTBT (you had to be there)
If I'm having a good game, I look to put some distance between me and the dissenter as quickly as possible to allow the player to vent and further nonsense out of earshot
In this case, a dismissal may have been unavoidable
Indeed. So hard to judge from the written description.

Nope
VC & SFP = 3+
Not so sure on the others... my guess would be
DOGSO = 1 (not sure, maybe 2)
S7 = 1
OFFINABUS = 3+
Spitting = 6+

I gave one for OFFINABUS at the weekend and just checked, he has a two game ban.

I gave one for OFFINABUS at the weekend and just checked, he has a two game ban.
OK, I'm not sure about DOGSO either, although I think that's just a one game ban on account of it being a technical (cheating!) offence

OK, I'm not sure about DOGSO either, although I think that's just a one game ban on account of it being a technical (cheating!) offence
DOGSO is 1 game for the first offence of the season.

If you have a second red, 1 game is nearly always added to the standard tariff.

Fair point

That's good advice. The phrase "give it and go" used to be used a lot, as if you give a decision and hover around it can invite dissent and possibly mean that the forthcoming caution surprises people. Whereas if you have legged it the dissenter has to run after you, in which case there is no possible surprise when the card comes out.

Obviously you can't do this in all cases though. Don't want someone giving a penalty and then running to the half way line and saying that I told them to do it ... :)

Personally I would report it. Doesn't sound to me that you personally were too bothered by the implied threat but imagine a younger ref overhearing this? By reporting it and having it bought to the attention of the club they will know that this sort of behaviour has consequences? This behaviour is not acceptable at all, ever.

Nope
VC & SFP = 3+
Not so sure on the others... my guess would be
DOGSO = 1 (not sure, maybe 2)
S7 = 1
OFFINABUS = 3+
Spitting = 6+
Okay.
Just recalled a similar event where County requested I separate incidents so they could be dealt with separately
Must depend on county or perceived severity

Just looking for some advice on if I should submit an extraordinary report to what happened in my game today.

Attacking team made a tackle that I felt was fair, but I can perhaps see how the defending team could feel hard done by as it was up to the edge of a fair tackle. Immediately after defending team committed handball and so I gave an attacking free kick. Queue lots of grumbling and moaning. One player made two or three comments and I verbally told him this was his last chance and that was enough, to which he said “this is f***ing b*llocks” So I called him over and sent him to the sin bin for dissent. As he was walking off he continued to complain and again said “this is f***ing b*llocks” so I called him back over, with the intention of giving him one last chance and telling him if he swore again I would send him off. He refused to come over and just said “you’re a f***ing joke.” So I sent him off and he called me a f***ing p*ick.” So far, nothing extraordinary for Sunday football. But then after in the changing room, I heard him come in and could hear him continue to use profanities in describing my performance and decision making. But then he made the comment that has me unsure if I should report it, he said he was so annoyed with my performance he felt like hitting me.

I have no doubt he was probably just acting tough and unlikely he would ever do anything, but even if it is that, any talk of violence to a ref is unacceptable. I did not visibly see him as I was in a different changing room, but I recognised his voice clearly enough.
Best advice would be from your RDO rather than on here. They can tell you exactly what they would expect as a county FA that has to deal with it.

Back