A&H

Worst game so far!

TheLC

Hello everyone, just an instant reflection on a game I had today, 20 games in and by far worst with comments from coaches and players, I knew I was having a bad game but battled through. One player suggestion of being paid, what punishment would others offer for this? Very much felt like 22 players against the man in the middle! We move onto the next game and learn from the last one I guess!

The Referee Store
We all have them and have all had them.
keep your chin up, self reflect and move on.

in regards to the players comment, I’ve had someone ask me how much the other team were paying me. He got his marching orders for this comment. Questioning my integrity and accusing me of being biased. Easy decision

in regards to the players comment, I’ve had someone ask me how much the other team were paying me. He got his marching orders for this comment. Questioning my integrity and accusing me of being biased. Easy decision
Sounds like I let him off easy then with just a caution! This was at u16 level as well which has shocked me a bit, but thank you for your response! I will 100% move on and keep going

I should’ve at least sin binned the player, as I’ve just had the wgs asking why I didn’t haha, I take that one on the chin and learn from it! Put it down to my own mistake of not doing it looking back, when it rains it pours!

I like that one, might have to use it in future haha!

as with any line, there is a time and a place, its not suitable for all ages, occasions

a one off petulant shout from a player tho, football does not expect or need a red

of course you still can if thats your thing but thats refereeing to a paint by numbers book and not an extension of your personality

I should’ve at least sin binned the player, as I’ve just had the wgs asking why I didn’t haha, I take that one on the chin and learn from it! Put it down to my own mistake of not doing it looking back, when it rains it pours!

No need for any card. Just a word (or a witty response). 😉🙂

No need for any card. Just a word (or a witty response). 😉🙂
This really isn't what I'd do. Someone blatantly accuses me of being corrupt and questions my integrity, they are gone. I am not wasting my wit on them. Not sending them off makes a bad game become a disaster game.

Of course if you are not really offended by it then you have the choice of no card.

Keep in mind the words said are important. Some words like "they are getting all 50-50s" could just be an appeal for more calls going their way. But when it's a clear accusation of corruption, I won't stand for it.

This really isn't what I'd do. Someone blatantly accuses me of being corrupt and questions my integrity, they are gone. I am not wasting my wit on them. Not sending them off makes a bad game become a disaster game.

Of course if you are not really offended by it then you have the choice of no card.

Keep in mind the words said are important. Some words like "they are getting all 50-50s" could just be an appeal for more calls going their way. But when it's a clear accusation of corruption, I won't stand for it.

Except that it's not a genuine accusation is it?
"How much are they ( the other team) paying you ref?" Seriously? 🙄
It's dissent at worst. Just a sarcastic remark at best.
Each to their own mate but I'll never be pious or sanctimonious enough to view a comment like that as "questioning my integrity".
Get real.

I guess it depends on what has happened in the game so far as well, I had already warned the player about dissent, my tolerance levels are usually quite high! Funnily enough the player was respectful to me after that!

Not a red for me, surely that is what the sin bin is for? The player doesn't believe that they're paying you to be biased, it's just a stupid comment born out of frustration and petulance. Certainly not something to be offended over. 10 minutes on the side to think about what you've just said and move on.

Except that it doesn't. These are words that this player will have learned at the knee or hip of his Sunday League playing/supporting parent/coach. They have no idea of the connotations. It's a perfect opportunity for you to educate said player with a quick one liner. If you want to be overly protective of your integrity then bring him in, near his coach and tell him that if this was open age, you'd be thinking about walking him for that remark. He shuts up, his coach knows he's been told and you look like a benevolent dictator being judicious with your favours towards his team.

Except that it doesn't. These are words that this player will have learned at the knee or hip of his Sunday League playing/supporting parent/coach. They have no idea of the connotations. It's a perfect opportunity for you to educate said player with a quick one liner. If you want to be overly protective of your integrity then bring him in, near his coach and tell him that if this was open age, you'd be thinking about walking him for that remark. He shuts up, his coach knows he's been told and you look like a benevolent dictator being judicious with your favours towards his team.
We are talking about different age groups. No I am not sending off a 10 year old for this. There is a grey area as they move into adulthood. Not sure what age group the OP is.

We are talking about different age groups. No I am not sending off a 10 year old for this. There is a grey area as they move into adulthood. Not sure what age group the OP is.

enlighten us. What age are you sending off? News to me that the lotg on insulting, offensive are modified according to age.

unless we are making it up as we go along.

This was an u16s game! On a different note a fellow ref once said to me that I should be refereeing ‘real football’ not youth lol which begs the question if we all referees ‘real football’ would we have youth football.

Not a red for me, surely that is what the sin bin is for? The player doesn't believe that they're paying you to be biased, it's just a stupid comment born out of frustration and petulance. Certainly not something to be offended over. 10 minutes on the side to think about what you've just said and move on.
We don’t have sinbins up here.

in my case, the player had made the comment once or twice during the game. I let it slide it but proceeded to continue after the final whistle and approached me, asked me how much extra the other team were paying me whilst making a money gesture sign with his hand.
This is fairly obvious as an accusation of cheating, when I was taught during my course. Any accusation of cheating the player is shown a red card.

people may disagree or do things different. But this easily meets offinabus on this occasion

in my case, the player had made the comment once or twice during the game. I let it slide it but proceeded to continue after the final whistle and approached me, asked me how much extra the other team were paying me whilst making a money gesture sign with his hand.
This is fairly obvious as an accusation of cheating, when I was taught during my course. Any accusation of cheating the player is shown a red card.

people may disagree or do things different. But this easily meets offinabus on this occasion

Thats a totally different situation to the picture you previously painted and totally correct to show a red based on the revised account.

from the first posting it read as merely a passing comment

proof again context is everything!

Worst game so far, sounds like you may be expecting even worse game in the future?

Was a tough game, you struggled and know you did. But you've been able to reflect and seek support and advice on how to manage such a game in future.

I would say it's the best game so far because you will learn far more about the art of refereeing from that single game and the subsequent feedback here than you would for the so called good games where nothing happens.

Nothing more to add from what has already been written apart from.........when you played advantage, unless the free kick would've been stopping a promising attack, you can still go back and caution. You can even make a point of letting the players know 'I've seen that and will be coming back to it'.

Onwards and upwards. Tell us how your next game goes and let us all know if you have changed your approach as a result

And I'm not sure I'd always go for the bin, depends on the game and how the player has behaved previously etc.

As previously stated this is different to how I read it in your earlier post. These things are always YHTBH of course. I'm more the type to give a little back or laugh it off but it's all about context tbh. If someone comes right jn my face long after the game has finished and accuses me off cheating then they can expect a week or two off.

Back