Wolfsburg v Sevilla penalty

Penalty?

• Total voters

RobOda

RefChat Addict
Level 3 Referee
Stumbled onto this from Reddit; https://v.redd.it/d2bzdaaf9iq71

Hopefully the video link works.

So, that penalty needed a VAR check to be called, and somewhat understandably, fan reaction is fairly negative.

I admit, I watched it and it took me a bit to understand what was being checked/called.

I guess, strictly by the letter of the law it's a penalty, but I'm leaning to the view that not all contact = foul and I think that this is maybe an example of what PGMOL means when they said they wanted to raise the bar for fouls in the PL?

What do you guys think, would you be giving that?

The Referee Store
For me he kicks the ball away and the attacker runs onto it. No foul for me. Incidental contact initiated mostly by the attacker.

speechless watching that, hows he decided with VAR that thats a pen?
How has VAR even asked him to look is the first questionable event. But then yes, with the benefit of a monitor I struggle to see how that is a pen.

How has VAR even asked him to look is the first questionable event. But then yes, with the benefit of a monitor I struggle to see how that is a pen.

i can imagine the refs thought process though...

i dont think it's a pen but VAR does...therefore the expectation is that a pen will be awarded (which is the worst part of VAR for me) and 99 times out of 100 the ref backs VAR

therefore the expectation is that a pen will be awarded (which is the worst part of VAR for me) and 99 times out of 100 the ref backs VAR
That isn't a problem as long as the VAR is doing their job properly and not recommending a review for something like this which is (at best) debatable.

That isn't a problem as long as the VAR is doing their job properly and not recommending a review for something like this which is (at best) debatable.
I just don't see the point in the ref going to the screen when they already know they're changing their mind.

Just get the VAR to make the decision

I just don't see the point in the ref going to the screen when they already know they're changing their mind.

Because it's still the referee's decision - they are the one in charge, they can stick with their decision after the review if they so choose. But nearly all the time the VAR should only be recommending a review when it's obvious, which as I said isn't a problem.

Because it's still the referee's decision - they are the one in charge, they can stick with their decision after the review if they so choose. But nearly all the time the VAR should only be recommending a review when it's obvious, which as I said isn't a problem.
Yeah I get it, I just don't agree!

I mean, if the defender had left the leg hanging out straight, I would understand. But he has done everything possible to do the right thing and the contact is made by the attacker kicking him!

well, should have been a straight red, as studs made contact with the leg! (Just kidding in case anyone took that seriously . . . )

They don’t know they are going to change—they only know it is likely. The result should almost always be a reversal, as the VAR is only supposed to send it when the VAR sees a clear error. So if the VAR is right, the R should see the same clear error. but we see the (rare) cases where the R realizes the VAR is wrong and doesn’t change the call on the field--this should have been one of those cases. And I’m sure the R has been told that he failed in his job as the decision-maker on this play. (Unfortunately the fact that there should usually be a reversal can mess with the R’s judgment sometimes.)

And not in a million years do I want the VAR reversing judgment calls from the ivory tower. Totally undermines the R and basic concepts of flow and ultimate responsibility of the R.

I'd be totally fine with that tbh
When the PL tried it, most people didn't like it. Me included. I like that final decision lasts with the ref.
That said I think I'd be more comfortable with more transparency I. E. Communication broadcasted.

When the PL tried it, most people didn't like it. Me included. I like that final decision lasts with the ref.
That said I think I'd be more comfortable with more transparency I. E. Communication broadcasted.
Yes, definitely need that

My ideal var process is much more like that in rugby league or field hockey (appreciate they're both very different but they show that player and referee referrals work well) where the ref but know it's not very likely to happen

Back