A&H

Why should I take off my jewellery?

The Referee Store
Long before I started refereeing I heard/read a few stories about a keeper who lost his wedding ring finger after tipping a ball over the bar and getting his ring caught on on a net hook attached to the bar! :confused::eek:

My RDO (who loves a good a old story and is never short of them) told us on the course about a teenage ladies player who had her tongue plastered across her face after getting hit by the ball because she didn't take out her stud before the game! :facepalm:

Been quested many times by parents why their son has to remove an earring before the game. They just don't seem to appreciate the dangers and the fact I have no wish to see the pitch redecorated with the remains of an ear!

During a pre-match player inspection a few weeks ago a player had both his ear lobes with " large holes in them" large enough to put your finger through and these holes had plastic rings in.... i did tell him he couldn't play like that and he said he couldn't take them out so i compromised and said to put tape over them and advised him that other referee's might have a different point of view.......

During a pre-match player inspection a few weeks ago a player had both his ear lobes with " large holes in them" large enough to put your finger through and these holes had plastic rings in.... i did tell him he couldn't play like that and he said he couldn't take them out so i compromised and said to put tape over them and advised him that other referee's might have a different point of view.......
Seen a few boys with this done it looks terrible too,

Not sure I understand. Plastic inserts in ear holes isn't jewellery, they in themselves are protective, and I cannot see why he wouldn't be able to play with it in. I wouldn't let him play with a big gaping hole that is fore sure, so having the plastic "plug" in is the safest option (and several top level players have worn them)

Not sure I understand. Plastic inserts in ear holes isn't jewellery, they in themselves are protective, and I cannot see why he wouldn't be able to play with it in. I wouldn't let him play with a big gaping hole that is fore sure, so having the plastic "plug" in is the safest option (and several top level players have worn them)[/QUO
Not exactly a plug.....

Attachments

• holeinear.jpg
    holeinear.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 10
You do get non-hollow versions of those as well. I'm still not sure I'd let a player go on with them in though, they're not necessarily securely fitted.

It's lose-lost with those. The danger is the hole - you can use soft plastic or hard plastic in them.
Well, one could argue that the biggest concern is the fact that a pommy lad, for some reason, thinks he's an African tribal warrior, but I digress.

Ah, right. I was talking about the ones that completely plug the hole - bit like like a plastic 10 pence piece. No way I'd be allowing him to play with just a plastic "rim" with a big hole in the middle.

Sounds very, very similar to the Ricardo Fuller situation. Back in 2009 he was allowed to play with tape covering plastic inserts in largish holes left when he removed large ear studs precisely because, as RustyRef says, it's the safer, more protective option.

After repeated queries, the PGMOL issued a statement about it:
PGMOL STATEMENT - JEWELLERY
Over recent weeks since Stoke City's arrival into the Premier League the PGMOL have received a number of letters and emails seeking clarification why contrary to law we allow Ricardo Fuller to wear taped over ear rings.
The fact is that this player does not play wearing ear rings. These are removed prior to kick off and the ear is allowed to be taped for health reasons.
I can't say I always agree with everything the PGMOL does but in this case I think they handled it sensibly.

Last edited:
Back