A&H

Why do we check the keepers are ready before kick off?

matty639

Level 5 Referee
This occurred to me when I was refereeing yesterday, when I am about to blow the whistle for kick off, I always shout at each keeper to get an acknowledgement they are ready. I have no idea why I do this. I know I'm not the only ref to do it but why do we do, they're not special and why should we care if they are ready, but I still do it every game.

The Referee Store
Er... we don't.

At least... I don't. Players are on the field, there's enough from each team, both teams have a GK on the field of play, my ARs are ready... off we go.

I know I'm not the only one who does it, don't think I'll bother any more as I've said I've no idea why I do.

Yep, I do it. For me it's almost a sign to everyone of 'be ready, we're about to start' rather than it being about the keepers.

I do it too and I have no idea why I do it.....assessor/mentor didn't have a problem with it though so :hmmm:

I do it! No idea why though. Always have. I guess its just seen as polite?

I do it because when I played that's what the refs always did and I picked up the habit without really thinking about it. I'd suspect that's why most who do do it, do it (too many dos :D).

I'd be interested to hear what people say to get the (CAR) assistants attention. I never shout for 'assistant' because it sounds too pretentious but don't like to shout 'lino' because its wrong. I always end up slightly awkwardly, waving my hand around hoping they'll look at me.

Worth it to avoid that one in a lifetime occurrence when the GK is putting his gloves and striker shoots directly in the nets imo + it's just an habit, something like a protocol that everyone would expect, why would you start a game by being the one ref in the season that didn't took 3sec to check the GK ?

I'd be interested to hear what people say to get the (CAR) assistants attention.

Most of them know that I'm gonna check on them so no problem, when they don't look at me, I never wave, just keep my arm straight and 100% of the time, one player's gonna shoot the name of the assistant to get his attention to me, this trick never fails :p

Even when I'm an AR I don't like the ref giving me a shout if I'm ready. A glance and slight nod is sufficient.

As for the keepers, it's just one of those things some of us pick up as we're going through the ranks. Just a glance at the keeper will suffice. We make sure they're ready because, being such a critical position, there's really no reason to cause problems and start when they're not ready.

I'm another who's guilty of this!

Never check in CAR though lol

Annoying when you occasionally get 'that' keeper who tends to look everywhere but at you when you're checking and is deaf (or very good at pretending' lol

Kick-Off
  • wave and shout at the GK
  • wave and shout (using name) at the CAR / NAR
  • being very vocal will often provoke a equally vocal shout from players ("from the off", etc.) which helps gets people switched on, including the GK
  • Blow the whistle very loud to help ensure there is no doubt that everyone knows we've started
Re-start after goal
  • 360 look to ensure everyone is in the right half and that the GK is looking forward (and hopefully central to the goal)
  • Blow the whistle very loud to help ensure there is no doubt that everyone knows we've re-started
As @Yacinho and @CapnBloodbeard say - it's a good habit to avoid the ball going over the GK's head from kick-off ... or in my case - to avoid a re-occurrence and a significant change in game temperature (in the 5th minute)!

I also think we may do it as the GK is the only player on the field for which we would stop play for any injury (serious or not)

Most referees check the GK out of habit as they are occasionally wrestling with their gloves still, but gloves are not a mandatory piece of equipment so why should we care if they are still preparing. It certainly is good practice to glance over the entire pitch, CAR's and players before blowing the whistle for KO to ensure everyone is ready. Why make waves at what is likely to be the most peaceful moment you have in the next 90 mins.

Yep, I do it. For me it's almost a sign to everyone of 'be ready, we're about to start' rather than it being about the keepers.
This.
My procedure is to [visibly] count players, then clockwise around the pitch "Keeper Ready? Ready on the line? Keeper Ready? Ready on the line? OK chaps, let's get going." Whistle for KO. With NARs, I'll call to the keepers only, and a quick visual or thumbs-up to each of the NARs. In park-level football, it brings everyone's focus to the game - players, managers/coaches and spectators (both of them).

For me it's a good habit/routine as you start the game.
Quickly scan both halves for players on FOP and count if there's a doubt.
A good clear shout to the GK tells him we're ready to go and his team now knows it too. Repeat for the other team.
A quick look to both ARs (CAR or NAR) and see if they're paying attention and in position (not having a smoke on the half way line or, on the wrong side)
Check watches, blow whistle. Game on!

I'm another who's guilty of this!

Never check in CAR though lol

Annoying when you occasionally get 'that' keeper who tends to look everywhere but at you when you're checking and is deaf (or very good at pretending' lol

I do "check" CARs, but facing the pitch with flag in hand is about as ready as most will appear! Definitely worth checking as not uncommon for them to be on phone, chatting to other spectators and even occasionally on the wrong side of the pitch!

Yup I check with the keepers. Mainly because the one ina million chance they have an issue its a bit of a disadvantage. If their lace has come undone etc I'm going to give them a chance to sort themselves etc. But like most have said its more a habit and the last thing I'll do before checking everyone is in the riht half and blowing to start.

Also big thumbs up to those using their CARs name to check them. Greatly helps them feel engaged, and also at the start of a game if your making a nice loud shout it draws attention to you in a good way. Shows you're not going to be quiet and not worried about people noticing you.

my experiences tell me that assessors want to hear you communicate with your assistant refs using their first names from time to time.

Back