A&H

Who was right?

simonwref

Level 6 Referee
I was assistant referee and the following happened.
There was a backpass to the keeper played with too little pace.
Keeper came to kick it, attacker charged him down.
Keeper kicked it out, attacker continued his momentum and left a late foot in on the keeper. It was a foul, maybe a caution.
Keeper said something to attacker who turned around and squared up to keeper.
Keeper shoves him, not violently.
Referee runs over and talks to them both, produces a yellow card for the keeper.
Now keepers teammates approach me and say, 'did you give that penalty'. And I realise that the ball is on the spot and a pen had been awarded.
I raise my flag and call the ref over, I tell him that, it was a foul on the keeper and therefore a freekick and that I believed that it should be a card for the attacker and a card for the keeper for the retaliation.
Referee agrees that it was a foul initially, but explains that IT IS THE MORE SERIOUS OFFENCE THAT GETS PENALISED (NOT THE FIRST) SO THEREFORE IT IS A PENALTY. (I won't even mention that the keepers clearance sailed out of play and was probably out of play when the scuffle happened)
Is this correct?
Thanx.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
misunderstanding by the ref there

if offences are committed at the same time by two players from the same team, then the more serious offence should be penalised

if offences are committed at the same time by players from different teams, then the restart is a drop-ball

having said that it appears that the offences happened sequentially rather than at the same time so free kick to defending team and cautions all round would appear to be the order of the day

Sounds like an odd sequence of events to say the least.

As you describe it, it certainly sounds like it should have been a defensive free kick. Seems to be a straightforward misinterpretation of the LOTG by the ref.

I'm assuming the the ref and yourself won't be exchanging Christmas cards after today? :D

Back