A&H

Who does the dropped ball go to if none of the teams had possession of the ball at the time the whistle was blown.?

newref

Hi. Here is a tricky scenario. The referee blows the whistle to stop play for a head injury whilst the ball is in play. When the whistle is blown the ball is in between two players who are running towards the ball to challenge for it. Since none of the teams had possession of the ball, nor was any of the teams closer to the ball at the time the whistle was blown, who does the dropped ball go to?

The Referee Store
What does law say about possession?

It actually doesn’t. It says play restarts where the ball touched a player, an outside agent or the match official, with a dropped ball to the team that last touched the ball or to the goalkeeper if that occurred in the penalty area.

So where was the last touch and by who determines restart.

"Have possession of the ball" is not relevant when deciding who gets a dropped ball.
Law 8.2 is fairly clear, there are only two choices: a single player of the team that last touched the ball, or if the touch or ball itself was in a penalty area, the corresponding goalkeeper.

What if play is stopped for a head injury when the team in possession was the attacking team and last touch was inside the penalty area by the attacking team? How does the play restart in this case?

Defending team goalkeeper as I understand it
Yes, I think you're right but just seems a bit unfair doesn't it. The least you'd expect is for the attacking team to have the ball back since they had control and last touched the ball.

Yes, I think you're right but just seems a bit unfair doesn't it. The least you'd expect is for the attacking team to have the ball back since they had control and last touched the ball.

Shrug. That’s not the rule. As refs, we do what the Laws say. But yes, there can be an unfair result—which is something we can keep in mind when deciding the moment to stop.

I’m guessing we’ll see tweaks from the leap day meeting, but hard to predict.

I'm losing interest in this Law change
2/3 of the season gone and players are not budging in their mentality. No matter which team get the DB, they're kicking it to the opposition regardless of the reason for the stoppage in play. No how this change has been received around the ROTW, but it's not happening in my neck of the woods

2/3 of the season gone and players are not budging in their mentality. No matter which team get the DB, they're kicking it to the opposition regardless of the reason for the stoppage in play. No how this change has been received around the ROTW, but it's not happening in my neck of the woods
Not in my games they aren't

I tell the player I am dropping the ball to what he is now allowed to do and I am saying it loud enough so that nearby players can hear me. Why - because most players don't understand law change.

It’s almost like the answers are in the LotG.
How way man... like I don't know the Law 😄
When you drop the ball to the team that touched it last (after explanation falling on deaf ears) & they hoof to the opponent's GK, I'm inclined to exclaim 'FFS' and retire defeated from that exchange 🥵

Maybe my players watch too much EPL

Why - because most players don't understand law change.
Exactly, it's all too much for them

Last edited:
18 yard box right?

There is no such thing. I know, that was snarky. But it really helps if refs learn and use the proper language. The goal area is the small area used for goal kicks and the large one is the penalty area, where the GK can use her hands and a foul becomes a PK.

There is no such thing. I know, that was snarky. But it really helps if refs learn and use the proper language. The goal area is the small area used for goal kicks and the large one is the penalty area, where the GK can use her hands and a foul becomes a PK.
Penalty Area. Got it 👍

Back