A&H

Whiter than white

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciley Myrus

RefChat Addict
Nobody is perfect. Few claim to be. As we ponder the WC on field activity though, and who is doing what to who, it occured to me that as society, on one hand we claim to detest unfair play, yet on the other, we dont actually have a problem with it, and in many cases, we reward it, either with money, adulation, or simply even by attention.
Our UK expert pundits are a good place to start
Billic, confirmed cheat whose play acting cost a man a place in the WC final
Rio, stripped of national captaincy and suspended for months over a missed drug test ( a work colleague of mine missed one last week and will be dismissed)
Gerrard, found guilty of assault
Henry, handball antics v Eire
Mark Clattenburg, suspended and effectively sacked as a referee for 8 months before reinstatment and suspended by bosses as he broke procedures during his return
Alan Shearer, kicked the living daylights out of a team mate and by reports nearly killed him
Frank Lampard, admitted running around an airport mocking the 9-11 events
Jamie Carragher filmed spitting at a girl
Roy Keane, charged with assault and admitted doing Haaland and any other acts you can add in
Glenn Hoddle and his opinions on disabled

Cant recall without checking but even Colinia himself had problems with a potential conflict of interest over a sponsorship deal, and was he not like the one of two refs to emerge scot free from the Italy bribe scandal?

Its endless. Yet these are a quick fire selection of folk who huge pay cheques to fill up our air time, and these are the people we class as influential.....

The Referee Store
Its just a bit perverse that we ultimatley have Billic and Henry slavering over what it takes to do well in a world cup.
When the best thing anybody could do to have a chance of winning it, is to avoid playing either Billic or Henry for starters...

Or the Oracle Robert Savage, he must be really proud of his only cup medal... The Coca Cola Cup!

Other than reeking out the refs room and getting booked lots and refusing to play for his country, Savage is tame
Esp when he got smacked in the face by Mathias.

Same can be said for FIFA. When Blatter was removed, the whole corruption talk died down - would be surprised if it were not as prevalent, if not more so now, than then.

My personal opinion is that setting your moral compass by someone who happens to be famous, whether sports, culture or other, is not a good idea.

Referees are and should be held to standards of credibility and fairness that alas we cannot expect from sportspeople or ahem politicians.

Glenn Hoddle and his opinions on disabled

Not true. Never were. The bloke was "quoted" completely out of context and England lost a potentially great coach/manager as a result. It was a complete joke from start to finish. All the others you've quoted are based on fact and a fair point but Hoddle's words were manipulated and used by the gutter press to sell "news" (which is what they'll always do). ;)

As an aside, as I alluded to in a previous thread a couple of weeks ago, football culture is all about cheating, so why would anyone expect it's pundits and associates to be of virtuous character anyway? :cool:

Not true. Never were. The bloke was "quoted" completely out of context and England lost a potentially great coach/manager as a result. It was a complete joke from start to finish. All the others you've quoted are based on fact and a fair point but Hoddle's words were manipulated and used by the gutter press to sell "news" (which is what they'll always do). ;)

As an aside, as I alluded to in a previous thread a couple of weeks ago, football culture is all about cheating, so why would anyone expect it's pundits and associates to be of virtuous character anyway? :cool:
I understand Hoddle was unscrupulously led into to what he said, but I can't envisage ever speaking about the disabled and former life in any context whatsoever. Forgive me if I'm wrong on this

There was an outstanding article in I think the Daily Mail a few weeks ago, Hoddle came out of it worse than he is already viewed. And that includes direct quotes from Hoddles own diary

Also regarding Shearer, he thumped Gillespie, but I've not heard of the incident being reported than any worse than that

The Mirror at the time reported Shearer as saying he thought he killed him
Ok the Mirror
But he booted Lennon in the face once too
So there is a trend

The Mirror at the time reported Shearer as saying he thought he killed him
Ok the Mirror
But he booted Lennon in the face once too
So there is a trend
Don't get me wrong. I don't like the man. He's a member at my Dad's golf course and he comes across as unthinkably arogant

Hoddle was steering England through the 2000 European Championship qualifying campaign when he made the controversial comments, interpreted as suggesting disabled people were being made to pay for the sins of past lives.

“You and I have been physically given two hands and two legs and half-decent brains,” he was quoted as saying.

“Some people have not been born like that for a reason. The karma is working from another lifetime. I have nothing to hide about that. It is not only people with disabilities. What you sow, you have to reap.”

The interview strayed into non-football territory because of Hoddle’s well-documented religious views and his use of faith healer Eileen Drewery as an adviser.

What a plonker!!! :poop::angel:

Thats the thing, he is entitled to those views, if indeed thats his belief
A wee bit of savvy needed though when you are the top man for your countries football team though.
Its not he could have never realised someone somewhere would spread the word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back