A&H

whistles

The Referee Store
There are so many answers to this . . . I have over a dozen different ones that I've tried and have most of them in my bag . . . and if you search threads hear you can probably find several with more opinions than you want

Probably my favorite is the Dolfin, which was the precursor to the Valkeen (and is much less pricey than the Valkeen)

While the fox40 classic is, well, a classic, my favorite fox40 is the mini--similar sound but smaller in the mouth and slightly less loud--my second favorite

I thought the fox40 fusion (I believe the most recent flavor from fox) was OK, but nothing special

For fields that have surrounding fields with games going on, the fox40 Pearl has a different sound than than many; the other one I like for that is the Acme tornado--the one that looks like a bent stick of gum

Every ref has a favorite (or favorites)--I've tried some that others love that I don't like at all.

Last, consider how you like to handle the whistle. Some love the finger clips--not my thing as I don't like the restraint, but if that is what you want, it narrows your choices. I had used wrist lanyards for years, but heard suggestions about holding the whistle instead and saw that many pro refs do that. I thought it was silly, but decided to try it. And I really like that. I clip two whistles together with a key ring or two and just hold it in my hand. I can change hands if I want, or leave it my mouth (which is rare). A finger goes through the key ring while writing.

I’ve never used a Valkeen as they are expensive but I’ve been satisfied with an Acme Tornado, better than a Fox 40… what’s so good about the Valkeen?

I like the fox 40 classic. It’s loud and you can have different tones on there. Works perfectly well for me.

I’ve never used a Valkeen as they are expensive but I’ve been satisfied with an Acme Tornado, better than a Fox 40… what’s so good about the Valkeen?
Everything.
Tone. Volume. Ergonomics. Flexibility.
Very often get a "f*ING hell ref" when players too close and has made its way into observation reports commenting on use and tone of whistle (positive) something I know I couldbt have done with any of the other whistles (fox40, sonik blast, acme thunderer all predecessors to the Valkeen.)
If anything happened to it I would pay the money to replace it in a heartbeat

Everything.
Tone. Volume. Ergonomics. Flexibility.
Very often get a "f*ING hell ref" when players too close and has made its way into observation reports commenting on use and tone of whistle (positive) something I know I couldbt have done with any of the other whistles (fox40, sonik blast, acme thunderer all predecessors to the Valkeen.)
If anything happened to it I would pay the money to replace it in a heartbeat
I got picked up on an observation last season as I used a Dolfin whistle and the observer said I wasn’t able to change the tone on it so I should consider a new whistle! I’ve just stuck with the fox 40 since then. I still sometimes get a ‘f*cking hell ref’
So it seems to be loud enough 😅

For those of us who are on a budget/have more sense than money (delete as appropriate ;)) there are off-brand versions of the Valkeen around for about a tenth of the price!

For those of us who are on a budget/have more sense than money (delete as appropriate ;)) there are off-brand versions of the Valkeen around for about a tenth of the price!

I've been tempted to get, and try, one of these as a back up.

I actually got a cracking deal on mine. Nowhere near the price that RefStop are charging. Although, failing the above, I would be willing to pay the money demanded to replace it.

There are so many answers to this . . . I have over a dozen different ones that I've tried and have most of them in my bag . . . and if you search threads hear you can probably find several with more opinions than you want

Probably my favorite is the Dolfin, which was the precursor to the Valkeen (and is much less pricey than the Valkeen)

While the fox40 classic is, well, a classic, my favorite fox40 is the mini--similar sound but smaller in the mouth and slightly less loud--my second favorite

I thought the fox40 fusion (I believe the most recent flavor from fox) was OK, but nothing special

For fields that have surrounding fields with games going on, the fox40 Pearl has a different sound than than many; the other one I like for that is the Acme tornado--the one that looks like a bent stick of gum

Every ref has a favorite (or favorites)--I've tried some that others love that I don't like at all.

Last, consider how you like to handle the whistle. Some love the finger clips--not my thing as I don't like the restraint, but if that is what you want, it narrows your choices. I had used wrist lanyards for years, but heard suggestions about holding the whistle instead and saw that many pro refs do that. I thought it was silly, but decided to try it. And I really like that. I clip two whistles together with a key ring or two and just hold it in my hand. I can change hands if I want, or leave it my mouth (which is rare). A finger goes through the key ring while writing.
My opinions revolve around the same whistles as yours. I recently got the Dolphin as it was on sale. I use the flip grip with this one. I don't like the design. I often accidently cover the hole on the bottom and I get the very high pitched sound instead of the regular blast so, because I can't be consistent, I stopped using it...and it's my most expensive whistle at $20.

I really like the Fox 40 Pearl. Another recent purchase. I like the different tone and loud as hell. Of course I like the Fox 40 classic and I use the finger grip with it.

But my favorite is the Acme tornado that looks like a bent stick of gum. I have that on a wrist lanyard. My favorite.

I actually got a cracking deal on mine. Nowhere near the price that RefStop are charging. Although, failing the above, I would be willing to pay the money demanded to replace it.
Wonder who did you that deal 🤔

I got one of these 'alternative' versions last year after I boiled my Fox 40. I absolutely love it.

Not sure how the genuine one differs as I'm not spending (allowed to spend) £50 plus on a whistle! Possibly better quality, but not sure anyone would genuinely notice?

To note on the Dolfin there are variations of it too. I have had both the Football and Basketball whistles (Dolfin F and Dolfin B respectively), with a preference for the B.

Bought an off brand Valkeen but my season ended before I could properly evaluate it.

I shall be expecting a full video review 😉

To be honest, I'm pretty sure that anything on RefStop can be bought cheaper elsewhere 😏

The best thing, apart from the tone/volume you can get out of it, is the ease of blowing it...seems to need a lot less air than other whistles which makes it super easy to pulse the whistle and get a quick loud whistle. I bought the copy version above as a backup and is pretty close to the Valken, but I guess the risk is that the production might not be as strict so you take your chances. Valken all day for me.

Back